The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-17-2001, 10:19 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

8/17: Diving pig

Speaking of animals doing weird things, you might have seen this one on the news but never mind. Some Brisbane festival is the source here. From the video that I saw of it, this guy genuinely likes his job. He runs right up to his platform and does a flying leap.

I don't have a shot (haven't looked for one yet, really) of the moose that took a leisurely swim in a pool in Washington state. If I had a pool I would let the mooses swim. Give them some relief dammit!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2001, 10:35 AM   #2
dave

that's an awesome image for a friday. i really like that picture it looks like the pig is having a good time, and it reminds me that, although i love my job, i love spending time doing the fun things on the weekends. and since i'm leaving in 30 minutes... i dunno. it just puts a big grin on my face
Old 08-17-2001, 11:07 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Hey, MSNBC had a better version of it! Aw, you're so right d - I hadn't thought of it like that... check out the smile on this guy...

Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2001, 05:47 PM   #4
russotto
Professor

Re: 8/17: Diving pig

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
From the video that I saw of it, this guy genuinely likes his job. He runs right up to his platform and does a flying leap.
Beats being pork.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2001, 04:37 PM   #5
rathkon
damn it's been a while

You got to wonder if the pig actually likes doing that, or is just trained to do that. I'm thinking it might be alittle messy if it's just trained enough to go run off diving boards without looking first.

rathkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2001, 07:34 AM   #6
umbrella dryspell
Rapscallion

About 10 years ago I worked security at a county fair in western PA where the big stink was "donkey diving." Basically, they put a donkey about 30 feet in the air, then tilted the platform the guy was on until he went tumbling into the water.

Having the regal honor of being security for this fiasco, I got to not only see this wonder of nature, but be prepared to fend off protestors who might find the whole thing inhumane.

Basically, the end result was nothing but boredom. It only took a day or two for people to realize that watching a donkey fall isn't terribly exciting. Unlike the Pig in your pic, donkey's don't assume the "superman" pose, or get happy looks on their faces as they frolic in the air. They just sorta fall like a bag of sugar off the kitchen counter. Then somebody drags them out of the water, and the guy gets a two hour stay of execution until the next show.

I hope the Pig is happy. God knows it looks better than my job most days...
Old 01-18-2002, 02:08 PM   #7
dave

For new people...

This was the first in a fine tradition of Friday Smiling Pig Images