The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-27-2005, 09:53 AM   #1
mrnoodle
bent

how ignorant are you?

While some people know a lot, nobody knows everything. I want to see what you don't know. Keep it light -- no bad vibes in here. Keep it to mistaken song lyrics, words you can't pronounce, terms you read and don't know what they mean. it's an opportunity for everyone to get made fun of. This may fizzle, but anyhoo. I'll start.

Until I looked it up 10 seconds ago, I really didn't know what non-sequiter meant.

I still don't know what QED means.

Until college, I pronounced armageddon ar-MAH-guh-don, like a monster who would fight Godzilla

I've played a musical instrument of some form or other for more than 25 years, and I can't read music.

Any interest in this kind of thread?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I cannot understand anything about the stock exchange. Do they exchange actual stock? Why does it change every second? What do all the funny words mean?

I don't know how an engine works and I don't know where one thing is in relation to another. My spatial awareness is that of a chocolate-filled compass.

I spoke fluent German only 5 years ago, now I can barely manage 'Wie heist du?'

I don't really have any general knowledge at all. I get through Trivial Pursuit by question analysis, working out the only thing the answer could be. Analysis is probably my only real skill, and I usually get the questions wrong.

I don't know anything. Why did you start this thread? I now wallow in annoyed self acceptance. Bugger off and go post on 'who loves god' or something.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #3
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

I don't know any math beyond basic algebra. No calculus, not even advanced algebra.

That's what getting a BA in music and and MA in Philosophy will get you ...

I don't know how to do anything with cars. Complete moron. If I tried to change the oil I would probably catch the car on fire and burn it to the ground.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:23 AM   #4
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
I've played a musical instrument of some form or other for more than 25 years, and I can't read music.
Neither could Jimi Hendrix.

Electricity baffles the hell out of me. I will literally call an electrician to wire one light switch. I understand positive and negative much in the same way a monkey understands that you can touch one or the other but not both. I don't understand why, for example, the stove burner does not shock you when you touch it after you turn it on (but before it gets hot). The heat comes from electricity flowing through it, right? I don't understand why the static electricity from touching the doorknob stings but you can touch one of those static electricity generators which will make even the longest hair stand on end but it doesn't hurt. And I don't understand what voltage is. I understand current and resistance and don't know why we need some third thing to make it more complicated. There. I said it. Whew.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:32 AM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Simple, basic arithmetic confounds me. I can do more complicated math in my head just fine, multiplying large numbers and what-have-you, and I still can explain calculus and all about the different kinds of infinities. But I have to triple-check myself every time I add two single-digit numbers or (god help me) calculate a tip because 90% of the time I will have screwed it up.

Also, all the aforementioned things: electricity, and plumbing, and cars, and home appliances are magic. Just magic.

You know how you'll hear a statistic like 65% of Americans can't find Iraq on an unmarked map? I'm one of those people. Maps do NOT stick with me. I know what it borders on and what else is in the region, but I couldn't find those countries on a map either.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:37 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I don't know how to pronounce "gyro", as in the greek-ish fast food. Every once in a while I'm told how, but my brain pushes that information to a strange dusty wasteland. In order to avoid terrifying embarrassment, I have never ordered one.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:41 AM   #7
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I have never bothered to learn object-oriented programming. Every once in a while I try for a few hours and then just give up. This may not seem like much, but on my scale, it's like a mechanic who's worked on carburetors all his life, acknowledging that he doesn't understand fuel injection.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:47 AM   #8
jaguar
whig

I didn't quite work out the word untitled till I was about 10, I thought it was pronounced uni-tilled and was some odd thing Apple had made up because it probably wouldn't be taken.

I still don't think I have a perfect grasp on voltage and ampage. I get it but I don't get it. Despite designing a railgun at one point. Go figure.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:49 AM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
Simple, basic arithmetic confounds me. I can do more complicated math in my head just fine, multiplying large numbers and what-have-you, and I still can explain calculus and all about the different kinds of infinities. But I have to triple-check myself every time I add two single-digit numbers or (god help me) calculate a tip because 90% of the time I will have screwed it up.
Wow, that's me too. Except for the multiplying large numbers in my head. I can do calculus, geometry, and trig, and I just helped my brother with his discrete math, but I have blind spots in my basic addition/multiplication tables and I count in my head from the nearest one I know.
|_______________| [pics]

Last edited by Happy Monkey; 04-27-2005 at 10:54 AM.
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 10:52 AM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Maybe we can fix the gyro thing ... the gyro has given it's name to another american sandwich that it bears no relation to, although one in short supply in the Philadelphia area ... the Hero.

Okay, so now that you know that a hero is kind of a gyro ... and a distinctive feature of the word gyro is the "Y" ... say it with me ... Yeero. Putting a slight trill on the "R" is okay, but not necessary.

And now the big secret ... if you, as a non-Greek American, starts saying it right, the guys in the restaurant will NEVER UNDERSTAND YOU.

They expect everyone to say it wrong and are taken aback when the word accidently slips from someone's mouth.

Stick with the Chicken Souvlaki Sandwich.

My areas of ignorance are vast. I enjoy a large number of spectator sports, but there are bits of the rules that remain a complete mystery to me. For example, I know that you can be penalized for offsides in Football, but I have no clue what that means, even though I get it in hockey or soccer. I can watch football and become excited about action on the screen, largely because I know it is action. I can sometimes even correctly identify the foul that was called, without understanding the mechanisms of the foul itself.

I have always lived in apartments so things like basic plumbing mystify me.

I cannot do math advanced beyond Trigonometry. I had an extreme, possibly unreasonable, fear of Calculus. Because of this fear I did not major in Computer Science in college. This is probably a good thing, because all of my programmer friends who really liked calculus are unemployed now.

I also do not understand the stock market.

I also am mystified by electricity, including the answer to the question "Why doesn't it leak out of the wall through an open plug."

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:22 PM   #11
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
how ignorant are you?
I don't know.

( I'm just a liiiiiiiiittle disappointed that no one said that already.) ...like saying, " what?" when someone mentions anything about hearing.

but, it's true. I'm ignorant of what i don't know. that's got to be the biggest thing.

Calculus? I don't know the meaning of the word.....no really.
i wouldn't recognize a calculus problem if presented with one. I may be able to solve it, but i don't think i would recognize that i was doing it. so...

I can't read music either. but i'll wrap your head in a guitar solo!

in biology, i never could understand the why. i get it that mitochondria create energy from fuel, but i don't get why they do it. or why heart cells pump, or why synapses carry electricity one way or a different way. that's way too deep.

oh, and women.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:23 PM   #12
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I also am mystified by electricity, including the answer to the question "Why doesn't it leak out of the wall through an open plug."
It does.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:24 PM   #13
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

I'm a vast reservoir of ignorance, but I'm still smarter than everbody else.
Old 04-27-2005, 12:29 PM   #14
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
It does.
So I should put a bucket under it so I can sell it back to the electric company? If only there were a way I could just pour it into the toaster ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005, 12:54 PM   #15
mrnoodle
bent

I'm scared of microwaves, because I don't understand how the stuff that heats things up doesn't escape around the seal of the door and give me cancer.