The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-29-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Bin Laden's Alive and Well and making new videos

Just saw where a tanned, rested, healthy-looking Osama has released a new video--the news here did not say what the message on the tape was, but does anyone else think the timing of this new tape is scary? I'm getting stressed all over again...
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Just saw where a tanned, rested, healthy-looking Osama has released a new video
So which resort does he use? Club Med? Le Beach Club? Resorts? Sandals? This is not really facetious. Abu Nidal - the bin Laden of his time - walked into a terrorist city - Boston - for admoninal surgery (any city or country that helps Abu Nidal must be a terrorist organization). All bin Laden need do is cut off his facial hair. Would you know how we was? For all we know, he was the guest of Idi Amin in south of France. After all, the George Jr administration is not even actively looking for bin Laden who was not even in those deck of cards. He could have gone many places for a vacation or medical treatment. Who would know - especially in those resort communities.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:08 PM   #3
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
The jist of what Osama said this time around is that our security rests with neither Bush nor Kerry but with ourselves. He condemns and makes fun of Bush Sr and Jr, says that the current hatred started way back in 1982 when the US supported Israel in doing something atrocious and likens the Bush family legacy of running the country to how territory is passed down from father to son in many Arab areas. This tape didn't give any solid promises of terror.

Afterthought: I find this tape amusing. Not so much the message or the person, but the timing of it. Also, people were so afraid there would be terror attacks on US soil or interests before Nov 2nd intended to sway votes, like what happened in Spain. Granted, there are a few days left to go, but so far it seems this tape is all They've done to meet that end. Osama basically released a PSA against both candidates, not just one or the other. I'd rather have a video of him vocally not liking either candidate than have explosions going off somewhere.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens

Last edited by Cyber Wolf; 10-29-2004 at 09:14 PM.
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 01:52 AM   #4
bluesdave
Getting older every day

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
For all we know, he was the guest of Idi Amin in south of France.
Idi Amin died in Saudi Arabia in August 2003, where he had been living for some time. It was still a good line though TW.

Even though Bin Laden has criticised both Bush and Kerry, the video has to help Bush. I think many swinging voters who were beginning to lean towards Kerry on economic grounds are going to jump back to Bush, based on security/safety issues.

One thing I thought of when I heard about the video was, where is Bin Laden getting his medical support from? He is rumoured to have kidney failure. He must be getting access to a hospital or clinic for treatment. Maybe his friends in Pakistan are helping him. Whoever they are, they deserve the death sentence right along with him.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:29 AM   #5
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

My fear is that via the video tape he is signalling terrorist cells. Like, "ok, when I move my hand like this it means etc., etc..."--the TAPE doesn't bother me; it's the potential of the tape. I don't think it's funny. I think it's scary.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 10-30-2004, 08:14 AM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Who would know - especially in those resort communities.
Ah you silly! Kerry has told us he's in Afghanistan and taking troops out of there to stop pursuing him was a mistake, so he must be in Afghanistan!
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 07:13 PM   #7
marichiko

Quote:
My fear is that via the video tape he is signalling terrorist cells. Like, "ok, when I move my hand like this it means etc., etc..."--the TAPE doesn't bother me; it's the potential of the tape. I don't think it's funny. I think it's scary.
Well, it's Halloween, girl, so you can be scared if you want to, but after tonight I wouldn't give it too much thought, myself. Let's face it, the friendly people who brought us all 9/11 weren't stupid. I'm sure they have far more sophisticated ways of communicating with one another. Why risk broadcasting a secret message to the world and having your enemies decode it? I can think of many ways of better getting the word out globally with no one the wiser except your chosen recipients.

I, for one, would just use the Internet to get my message out to my secret international cohorts (and, NO, anyone from Homeland Security who might be monitoring this, I'm not a terrorist; although I probably annoy many of you, I DO draw the line at murder!) There's plenty of public access places like librairies and internet cafe's and bars EVERYWHERE. You could have a coded message that you post to some discussion group like the Cellar. We already count God, Buddha, and Saddam Hussein among our members, why not Osami? All those lurkers who read this stuff we post must be waiting for SOMETHING? Right?

See, now you can be scared of wierd posts you read here. Pretty soon, everyone in America will be scared of EVERYTHING, just like "what's his face from America" in that other thread. That's EXACTLY what would please Bin Laden most. Personally, I'm sticking with my fear of deer. Almost hit another one tonight!
Old 10-30-2004, 08:43 PM   #8
Spray
dyslexic rambeller

marichiko
i like you, you make sence no paranoya in your life, l have said this before but off i go again,
Terror is to scare people with fear of what may happen, the goverment wip it up to control people and justify there actions!!!
and did you no Margaret Thatcher called Melsan Mandela a terrorist, makes you think?
lets say Bin Laden has a point the way my goverment your goverment the russias the france have always been nicking oil and damning the middle east way of life for years not years but centarys,
killing peoples not the way to go about it i now but maybe, just maybe he has a point that all im saying.
dont get me wrong if i bumped into binny boy Laden hes be on his arse before you can say ak47.
Spray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:48 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
"Bin Laden's Alive and Well and making new videos"

That Kennebunkport weather has done him a world of good...
Old 10-30-2004, 10:03 PM   #10
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

From Eschaton:
Quote:
What Republicans think of the guy responsible for thousands killed:
<dl><dd>
A senior GOP strategist added, "anything that makes people nervous about their personal safety helps Bush."

He called it "a little gift," saying it helps the President but doesn't guarantee his reelection.</dd></dl>
How counterintuitive ought that to be? The less safe you feel after Bush has had over three years to get this guy, the better it is for Bush?
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 10:25 PM   #11
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Granted, I'm a Sycamore liberal, but it seems to me that this was a "Nyah nyah!" to the Bush administration.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 09:49 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

The reason I'm voting for Kerry is because I'm afraid--afraid of Bush.

—James Barrie

Old 10-31-2004, 11:36 AM   #13
marichiko

Quote:
The reason I'm voting for Kerry is because I'm afraid--afraid of Bush.
I'm with you 100% on that one! Bush is the spookiest person on the global scene today, IMO.
Old 10-31-2004, 07:34 PM   #14
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesdave
Even though Bin Laden has criticised both Bush and Kerry, the video has to help Bush.
Everyone will see exactly what they want to see in that video tape. Long before anyone can judge the purpose of or the effects from that tape, one must first ask what was bin Laden's purpose. It is speculated (and only speculated) that bin Laden is attuned to American domestic attitudes and news. I believe Ted Koppel said it best. Trying to second guess the tape is a fool's game. I have yet to see anyone view the tape, effectively, from bin Laden's perspective. Without that perspective, then we cannot even begin to guess its purpose or its effect.

What in that tape has relevance? Bin Laden is still alive, apparantly quite healthy, and still not being sought by George Jr. George Jr instead tried to blame Saddam even on 13 September 2004. One could then say this tape mocks George Jr. That does not even suggest the tape helps or hurts George Jr. Again, everyone will only see in this tape what they want to see.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 08:01 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

I thought an interesting point was made on that Nightline episode by Richard Clarke and the other dude who's name I dont remember- that this tape was very much meant to be seen by the increasingly less and less moderate Arab world. Bin Laden appears "presidential" speaking from a lecturn, not from some cave or hideyhole. He is reasoning (sick reasoning, but reasoning). He is leading....Hes a playa.

And the close of the show Koppel had a good final thought for voters. Like Bush, vote Bush. Like Kerry, vote Kerry. "Dont let this guy mess with your head".
warch is offline   Reply With Quote