The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 09-03-2004, 07:20 PM   #1
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Need info on visiting India

My dad will be going to Pune, India sometime after the first of the year on business. He wants to bring back some muskets and swords, for which his company will be arranging transport. What kind of stuff should I have him bring back? Where should he visit, and what kind of stuff will there be to do? A friend of his who works for the same company made the trip last year, but he's a dumbass. He took the bus (or whatever it's called there - mass public transportation, anyway). The company will be picking up whatever tab he runs up, so that's not a concern. Any foods he should try, or avoid? Any local customs he should be aware of?

Thanks!
jane_says is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:24 PM   #2
garnet

The biggest thing I've heard about travel to India is be VERY careful about what you eat and drink. You can get violently ill if you're not careful, and even sometimes if you ARE careful. Pretty nasty from what I hear.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 07:31 PM   #3
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Yah. A good friend of mine had a nasty bout of dyssentry in India a few years ago. From his descriptions this does not sound like a barrel of laughs.

That said , any opportunity to eat freshly made Gulab Jamens or Jelabi shold not be passed up!

Last edited by DanaC; 09-03-2004 at 07:40 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 09:16 PM   #4
garnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC
That said , any opportunity to eat freshly made Gulab Jamens or Jelabi shold not be passed up!
Sounds good!

I've actually always wanted to go to India. I think your dad's experience will depend mostly on what kind of a traveler he is. At my old job people had to go to New Delhi all the time. Some hated it, some loved it. This one lady was absolutely repulsed by the food and lack of sanitation, and basically never left the cushy American-owned hotel. This other guy, though, actually wanted to stay longer because he loved the country and the people so much. What I heard from everybody is to brace yourself, because you'll see some awful, crushing poverty. Tough to take, but I think in a way it's good for us to see that sometimes--it makes you appreciate what you've got a lot more. Hopefully your dad will have a good time.
garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 10:16 AM   #5
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

He'll have bottled water provided by the company, and told me last night anything else he drinks will be at least 25% ethanol, so I think he's got the potables covered.
What would be a cool souvenir to have him bring me? What should I have him bring my daughters, ages 6 and 7? Any prepackaged candies or dry goods that are really interesting? What about spices? Or clothes (I'd reaaaally like a sari - do they come in sizes, or are they OSFA)?
Old 09-04-2004, 10:31 AM   #6
jaguar
whig

Avoid ice. Avoid any ice, expressly demand a drink without ice everywhere. Don't eat undercooked seafood. Avoid seafood salads. Avoid salads in general is good advice if you're seriously risk-adverse. I know in most of asia there is a very small shellfish that attaches itself to some plants that end up in salads, they can live in your stomach for years and cause intense pain, very hard to cure.

Nothing spice-wise you can't get anywhere else these days, cloth and saris should be doable, depending on customs (they vary on cloth). Wood souvineers once again, might grab the attention of customs that might demand they get gassed or incinerated if they look like they have certain bugs.

I'm still working out how to get totally de-activated AK-47s (welded up barrel, no firing mechanism, all welded up, clip welded on and welded up) in australia as souvineers from cambodia.

Last edited by jaguar; 09-04-2004 at 10:35 AM.
jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 11:06 AM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I'm still working out how to get totally de-activated AK-47s (welded up barrel, no firing mechanism, all welded up, clip welded on and welded up) in australia as souvineers from cambodia.
47's, 74's or Chinese SKSs?
Old 09-04-2004, 11:13 AM   #8
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Interesting that you should mention Australia. A guy who worked for the Australian part of my dad's company lived here for about three years and became quite an avid gun person hanging out shooting and hunting with my dad. He got himself into a huge legal problem trying to take back a couple of disassembled "long guns", as my dad says, back into Australia when he went home. After about a year and a half in the courts and $15,000 in solicitor money, he managed to avoid any jail time but is scrutinized very closely whenever he leaves the country on business.
What's the deal with ice? Is it because it's made from the water, or am I missing something? That shellfish-in-the-gut thing sounds particularly nasty. I don't think salads are going to be a major problem. I can't remember the last time I saw my dad consume one.
Old 09-04-2004, 11:43 AM   #9
jaguar
whig

Almost certain genuine 47's, I think they date to the vietnam war and ruskie assistance.

All the ice gets made from tapwater and one has to think carefully about showering in that stuff sometimes, let alone drinking it. Freezeing doesn't kill lots of nasties.
Old 09-06-2004, 05:50 PM   #10
Dagney
The Prodigal Brat Returneth

Well, if he's looking to bring anything back, I know a lot of Americans who would really like their jobs to come home.

Should we send along a huge suitcase?

Dagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 06:19 PM   #11
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

Might as well, I guess. He's in mining products, and the plan is to send any manufacturing jobs with less than a 20% profit margin there. He's going to scope things out.
I was thinking more along the lines of something for ME, though. I'm selfish that way. And I can't afford to go on vacation right now. Even if I could, I'm not sure I'd pick India. I want to go someplace where pharmaceuticals are cheap and easy to obtain, and the beer is good.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:05 PM   #12
TheSnake
Resident President

My dad was in India and he said it smelled odd there. I've never been there, but I can corroborate his claims somewhat by saying that the Indian restaurant downtown can be smelled from a few blocks away.

These are not meant to be insensitive statements. I think it's just a matter of the culture of your upbringing. For instance, our bodies are largely made of water which to us has no smell. But, it turns out, that many molecules closely related to water smell terribly to us. I'm sure the people in India can't smell anything there.
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:38 PM   #13
jane_says
Colonist Extraordinaire

I doubt that smell is the Indians. Poor sanitation, maybe. Maybe the odd smell at the Indian restaurant is curry? I think curry is stinky, but it tastes good.

Which molecules which are closely related to water are stinky?
Old 09-07-2004, 01:56 AM   #14
jaguar
whig

Sort of depends where but I know in lots of other places it's more likley to be rubbish and sewage smelling than anything else. The smell of raw sewage reminds me instantly of saigon every time i get a wiff.
Old 09-07-2004, 02:04 PM   #15
TheSnake
Resident President

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane_says
Which molecules which are closely related to water are stinky?
H2S, H2Se etc.

All the elements in Group VI of the periodic table have similar properties.
TheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote