The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #1
Yelof
neither here nor there

East Timor, Australia and stolen oil

This is talked about quite alot here in Portugal because of Portuguese ties (guilt debt) to East Timor.

East Timor is one of the newest and poorest nations in the world, it potentially had rights over rich oil and gas fields . Australian anexed sovereignty over these fields by coming to agreement with Indonesia who was occupying East Timor. East Timor really needs the income but Australia won't hand rights back.

I notice there are a few Australians on the Cellar, what are their views on this?
Yelof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 08:41 AM   #2
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

You should watch the DVD "Manufacturing Consent" about Noam Chomsky. He discusses East Timor, and the suffering they've gone through and how at the same time Indonesia was slaughtering and torturing those people there was virtually no coverage in the American media, but in the killing fields of Cambodia at roughly the same time, the newspapers were filled with information. He talks about how it benefits certain people to direct the direction of the news and to leave out things they don't want.