The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-02-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

"Openly Gay", 13 Year Old?

I find this AP story a little disturbing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
NEW YORK (AP) - An openly gay teenager received a $30,000 settlement from the city over her suspension for wearing a "Barbie is a Lesbian" T-shirt to school, her attorney announced Thursday.

Natalie Young, now 15 and in high school, wore the shirt to middle school in April 2002, leading school officials to send her home for the day despite the absence of any official dress code.

The teen said the settlement should make life easier on other openly gay schoolchildren: "I think they should feel more comfortable about who they are."

Young was pulled from class by the school principal and ordered to sit in an office until she changed the shirt. When she refused, she was suspended for the day.

Young's lawyer, Ron Kuby, filed the federal suit last June, alleging the incident was part of a series of discriminatory incidents.

Resolving the suit without litigation was "the appropriate decision," city lawyer Donna M. Kasbohm said. The city Department of Education agreed to establish a policy on student dress as part of the deal.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK, I'm a couple generations away from this girl, so maybe the tee shirt is now acceptable for Jr High school.
But, I question whether a 13 yo, openly gay, Jr high student, is mature enough to make choices of that gravity. I'm talking the choice of sexual orientation, not clothing.
Am I that out of touch with children?
Old 04-03-2004, 01:05 AM   #2
jaguar
whig

Kid's an attention seeker.
I do find suspending someone for wearing a tshirt pretty fucking stupid though.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:12 AM   #3
blue
Operations Operative

Another professional victim. Girl will probably go far in life.
Old 04-03-2004, 08:12 AM   #4
jinx
Come on, cat.

Oh I don't know, I was definitely openly hetero at age 13. I don't remember there being a choice though, just sorta happened.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:04 AM   #5
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Kids are pregnant at 10, and dating at 12 now.

They feel empowered by a generation of parents who feel as if it is their responsibility to be their child's friend instead of their guide and guardian.
Old 04-03-2004, 10:27 AM   #6
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

The question is, would that school be consistent and suspend someone that came in with a t-shirt that says 'Barbie is a heterosexual'. I think they would have. Grammar schools have to walk a tightrope when it comes to sex in general, regardless of orientation. That t-shirt was not age-appropriate school clothes. Schools are run by prudes, but this is a safer situation than if the schools were tilted in the other direction.

At the last school I worked at, a girl (7th or 8th grade) was offended because the teacher rejected her choice of flags for a report. The flag was supposed to be a flag of a nation, and the girl chose the gay pride rainbow flag. Ugh.
Slartibartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:23 AM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally posted by jaguar
Kid's an attention seeker.
I do find suspending someone for wearing a tshirt pretty fucking stupid though.
I think the one which was even more tragic was the school which, with corporate sponsorship, had a 'Coke' day and sent home a kid for wearing a Pepsi T-shirt.

Coke Pepsi war at school

Sometimes I think public school is a training ground to introduce children to the concept that they will soon be forced to conform in a world filled with vain, power-hungry, and sometimes vicious individuals enforcing unnecessarily oppresive and capricious rules for their own comfort and amusement.

BTW Bruce, Barbie did recently break up with Ken and has not been seen in public with any new male partners. Maybe the kid was right.:p
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 04-03-2004 at 11:32 AM.
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 11:53 AM   #8
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

"It is not a Coke-Pepsi war issue," she said. "It has to do with a student being deliberately disruptive and rude."

Since when is showing a competing product considered rude and disruptive? THIS is the kid that should sue and make money.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:05 PM   #9
jaguar
whig

and people wonder why I disparage the US school system.
Old 04-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast
The question is, would that school be consistent and suspend someone that came in with a t-shirt that says 'Barbie is a heterosexual'. I think they would have.
Well, according to the story there's no dress code at the school. That's just plain stupid IMO. And while I don't really think it was appropriate school-wear, I also don't think they can nail her for breaking a rule that doesn't exist.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
"It is not a Coke-Pepsi war issue," she said. "It has to do with a student being deliberately disruptive and rude."

Since when is showing a competing product considered rude and disruptive? THIS is the kid that should sue and make money.
This issue was decided by the Supreme Court during the Vietnam War when students were disciplined for wearing black armbands in protest. The court's message was that there is a wide gulf between what the school just doesn't like and what is actually disruptive.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
Old 04-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #12
jaguar
whig

I think it works like 'Unlimited' broadband plans with 'Acceptable Usage' policies.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:27 PM   #13
blue
Operations Operative

Quote:

Oh please....the kid was probably some snot nosed little jerk who would have been better off with a good ass whooping.

I am butt achingly sore today from cutting wood, I think I'll sue the chainsaw manufacturer on Monday for my distress.

We are becoming a nation of shameless litigation, that said the school probably deserves being sued for having a Coke day in the first place.
Old 04-03-2004, 03:41 PM   #14
Slartibartfast
|-0-| <-0-> |-0-|

Quote:
Originally posted by blue58

We are becoming a nation of shameless litigation,
I would just like consistency. If a girl gets $30,000 for that stunt she pulled, this kid is much more entitled in his situation.

But I agree with you blue, this sort of thing really should not be reduced to sueing and cash settlements.
Old 04-04-2004, 10:25 AM   #15
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:

I would just like consistency. If a girl gets $30,000 for that stunt she pulled, this kid is much more entitled in his situation.

But I agree with you blue, this sort of thing really should not be reduced to sueing and cash settlements.
In the end it has to be, since we have decided on capitalism as our economic system. Things you get for free do not get much attention, where something that costs you money does. A school board that gets a strongly worded letter will not pay attention. A school board that gets a $30,000 settlement which they have to explain to their voters does.

If we could find some way to give school boards detention, suspensions, or better yet corporal punishment when they do some mind-boggling stupid acts, I'd be all for it.