The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 12-15-2003, 02:50 PM   #1
insoluble
developmentally disabled rear end headwear

Angry broken pda

the glass under the plastic in my pda broke. the stupid thing displays fine but will not respond to touch. does anyone know if the glass can be replaced or something to that effect? I just got it, and it would be super great if it's not a paperweight already.
insoluble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2003, 03:20 PM   #2
FileNotFound
Intouch with his inner sheep rider.

Is it a palm pilot?

You can find a 'broken' one, as in the screen is intact but it won't do anything for peanuts on eBay.

My IMB Thinkpad has turned into a frankenlaptopserver thanks to ebay.
It now contains parts from 3 different similar model thinkpads...
FileNotFound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I had my palm pilot damaged in the same way during a carry and restraint of a patient. The data was there, but I couldn't get to it. I was able to make a backup to my palm desktop, though. The hotsync wasn't damaged.

You mail it back to them, they fix, or more likely send you refurbed replacement. You reload data, back in business.

Enjoyed my palm pilot, but never really found it to be more useful than a paper calendar. Switched back to paper and pencil last year, and will likely stay there. The palm was fun for playing games on and occasionally reading, but not as good as a gameboy or a regular book, or even my RCA Ebook (damn those bastards for killing it).

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #4
perth
Strong Silent Type

This is my PDA (PPA?). I like the graph paper or unlined ones best, but there are a lot of options. I wrap the elastic band around the width (rather than the length) of the book, so I can keep a small pen under it. Small enough to keep in my back pocket, and I don't have to worry about sitting on it. Only problem is that the search feature is very weak. If you're sufficiently organised though, it shouldn't be a problem.

These are generally available at Barnes and Noble for under 10 bucks. Worth every penny.

Edit: changed the link to a more specific page.
perth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2003, 01:30 PM   #5
FileNotFound

I love Psion PDAs.
I cannot stand Palms. No matter how I try I find that I type MUCH faster on a Psion than I can write on a Palm.

I never understood why the Psions never took off in the US. Many of my friends who had Palms and saw my Psion really regreted being stuck with their Palms and the idiotic keyboards that cost another $100.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=38331
Old 12-16-2003, 02:26 PM   #6
insoluble

mine is a sony clie, which has a slightly bigger screen than the average palm.

Wolf - was it expensive to have it fixed-refurbed?
Old 12-16-2003, 03:42 PM   #7
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I love my Palm Pilot. I would never be anywhere on time without it. I'm just too focused on whatever I'm doing. That and a really poor memory.

Try as hard as I might, I could never get a paper and pencil appt book to beep at me.

I hardly ever write anything directly into my pilot. We use Outlook where I work and all my meetings are already in there. I just sync up and I'm good to go.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 12:58 AM   #8
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by insoluble
Wolf - was it expensive to have it fixed-refurbed?
Cheaper than buying a new one.

Sometimes you can sign up for the special customer care extended service warranty (i.e., you break it we'll fix it program) which includes a screen replacement, which is a damn sight cheaper than the whole cost of replacement, which will probably run around half the price of a new unit.

Check the customer service info on the Clie website.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 12-17-2003, 06:05 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
The palm was fun for playing games on and occasionally reading, but not as good as a gameboy or a regular book, or even my RCA Ebook (damn those bastards for killing it).
RCA Ebook? What was that?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2003, 07:20 PM   #10
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

One of these days, maybe I'll have enough going on in my life to justify a PDA. Until then, I'll stick with the datebook on my cell phone.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 01:38 AM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
RCA Ebook? What was that?
It was about the coolest thing in the world.

Some information about the device is still available on what remains of the website.

I had a great time with this thing. Could carry six or eight books in the space of one, as well as availability of downloadable content including newspaper and magazine subscriptions as well as best sellers, classic literature, books from every conceivable genre.

Paperless, with the ability to highlight, make notes, and markups. Didn't have the full functionality of a PDA, but was a much better text reading device.

I have the 1150 model. (mine was purchased after the sale by Rocket eBook to RCA, but before the sale to Gemstar/TV Guide. You may have noticed ads for the device on your digital cable TV listings. You know, the ads you never click on, except by accident when you're hitting the back button on the guide browser?)

At least I didn't get the color version, which sold for around $600-700. I would be ROYALLY pissed if I'd spent that and could no longer obtain new content. I'm merely pissed as it is ...

Old 12-18-2003, 02:58 PM   #12
russotto
Professor

I have four. Three REB-1100s (one with a broken screen... I really should send that in to be replaced for $30). One REB-1200 (the color one). The color one is too big to carry around, so I don't use it. I still get new content, most of it from Baen, some from Fictionwise. There's also the old eyepatch-and-jolly-roger method if you like.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 03:30 PM   #13
insoluble

bastards want 100 bucks to replace the lcd screen - even though I explained that that wasn't the problem and dissected the fucking thig to make sure that the guy was lying. Last time I ever buy anything from sony!
Old 12-18-2003, 04:06 PM   #14
FileNotFound

Refurb Dell Axim X5 for anywhere within the $200 range might interest you. eBay or Dell. You choose..