The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 09-19-2003, 12:42 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

9/19/2003: Happy bovine

Happy Friday! I think it was xoxoxobruce who caught this one? A few of you have hit me with images recently and this one turns out to be the best animal pic in the queue, even those there are no details on it.

I lived near a farm for a short while as a kid, and there were always many odd sights like this. The farm was run by a Mennonite family of 15 kids, and it was the kids' job to work the farm while dad went to his day job at the local dairy.

The oddest sight I ever saw was when a pig up and died from something unknown, and I guess it was not to be processed for some reason. So one of the kids went and got a butcher knife and actually quartered the pig right there on the cement ground next to the barn, and then the two farm dogs dragged part of the carcass away UNDER the barn, and had full bellies for days on end. Luckily it was winter so there was no rotting going on.

Then there was the time one of the dogs picked a fight with the family horse. Both of these animals were completely tame; the dog was a friendly, happy German Shepherd Dog (Alsation), and the horse was a tiny little thing that the kids ran around. But on this day the dog decided to have some fun, and began circling the horse and nipping at its heels. After five minutes of this, the horse started to seriously tire (they were on a bit of a hill). Eventually the horse went down, at which point the dog felt it had an advantage and went in closer. And the horse used its final defense, and kicked the crap out of the dog! He wasn't seriously hurt, but he ran off with the traditional "yipe yipe yipe" sound. He learned his lesson that day.

These Mennonite kids were not allowed to watch TV or listen to the radio, and they were overjoyed the day I came over and told them the results of the Super Bowl so they wouldn't have to wait for the newspaper the next day to find out what happened.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 01:21 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

But...how do we know he's *happy*? Looks like he's choking on something to me...or maybe watching MTV.
Old 09-19-2003, 02:18 PM   #3
Serk
So liberal, he's conservative.

Choking, watching MTV, there's a difference?
Old 09-19-2003, 03:42 PM   #4
Cam
dripping with ignorance

Possibly trying to get a fly off his nose. Or throwing saliva on his back to get rid of flies. Then again it appears he has no flies on his back so what do I know.
Old 09-19-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

I think Bevo's just happy to see us.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 04:04 PM   #6
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally posted by Cam
Possibly trying to get a fly off his nose. Or throwing saliva on his back to get rid of flies. Then again it appears he has no flies on his back so what do I know.
Well, then, the saliva thing must work!
Old 09-19-2003, 04:18 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No, Els. When they choke they put there heads down. Somebody was tempting this sucker with something that looked and probably smelled good.
Or maybe being fitted for an upper plate.

Your doing good UT.
Old 09-19-2003, 05:15 PM   #8
bmgb
Master of the Domain

I think he's tired.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:42 AM   #9
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

where are his upper teeth? does he only have one row of teeth?
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 11:45 AM   #10
Griff
still says videotape

Cattle only get a bottom row... sucks to be them.
Old 09-22-2003, 11:50 AM   #11
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

The nasty photographer is holding something yummy just out of range of that tongue.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:45 PM   #12
nopaper
Recruit or Something

For those of you who want the source, the picture is from a petting zoo in Door County, Wisconsin named simply, "The Farm."

We used to spend vacation with family a week or two in Door County every year, and we'd always go to The Farm to wander around, get a few pictures and feed the animals.

This year, I had my digital cam in my pocket but didn't think to take any any shots around the place until we walked by this cow. It had learned how to get the attention of anyone who had a bag of corn in their hand. After laughing for a solid five minutes, I found the strength to steady myself and shoot a couple pics of this hungry cow. I posted those
cow pictures to my site.

I later uploaded my favorite cow picture to
http://www.deviantart.com/

The Farm
4285 Hwy 57, Sturgeon Bay
(920) 743-6666
http://www.thefarmindoorcounty.com
nopaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:49 PM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Wow! Wow!

xoxoxoBruce picked it up at another images website whose name I forget. So... SORRY for inadvertently putting up the pic without your notice, nopaper! (When I can find a photographer's email address I usually write them first just to ask.)

So... is it okay if I post your shot as an Image of the Day? All your cow pics are hilarious!

Now... how on earth did you find us?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:50 PM   #14
Cochese
Disorderly Orderly

An excellent pic, nopaper. I vote we keep nopaper subsidized so that he can continue to visit petting zoos and keep us smiling.
Cochese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 03:58 PM   #15
nopaper
Recruit or Something

Quote:
is it okay if I post your shot as an Image of the Day?
Certainly. I posted the pics for my own amusement, but to share with those that may also enjoy.
Quote:
Now... how on earth did you find us?
Cochese saw the pic and knew who took it. Small world :-)
nopaper is offline   Reply With Quote