The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 05-18-2015, 06:49 PM   #1
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Need Some New Shows

Difficulty: Must be on Netflix, preferably streaming.

Mr. Clod and I have run out of things to watch that we're both enthusiastic about. We each have lots of things lined up that fit our individual tastes, but everything we watch together is currently in limbo waiting for a new season. The one exception is Game of Thrones, but those stupid DVDs only have two episodes each and are in high demand, so we are often without a current one.

Hit me with your best shot(s)!
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:26 PM   #2
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

VIKINGS

OUTLANDER
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 06:56 AM   #3
Griff
still says videotape

Definitely Vikings. You can stream it from history.com

Bob's Burgers
Old 05-19-2015, 07:16 AM   #4
glatt

My wife digs Parenthood, and I can sit through it without being annoyed.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 07:52 AM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I can't recommend much personally, not having a TV and all!
And I'm not sure of your personal tastes. The suggestions below are cobbled together from reviews in Heat (Boyd Hilton has similar tastes to me) with some older shows I have watched.

First, The Returned. It's the French tv series Les Revenants.
Subtitled, but I'm guessing that won't bother you. I liked it so much I started a thread here about it.
It's dark, atmospheric and beautifully shot. There's also a second series coming out, so it's worth a try in advance of that. Good meaty long episodes.
A small French town sees a number of its inhabitants who are supposed to be dead coming back. As themselves, and with no idea they are dead. It's not about zombies, it's about loss, confusion and a search for acceptance.

Episodes - comedy series with Stephen Mangan and Tamsin Greig, starring Matt LeBlanc.
The British couple travel to America to remake their TV show for an American audience, featuring LeBlanc. It's wryly funny and shows all three's comedic and acting talents. I've only caught two episodes from two different series, but I recommend it for it's "fish out of water" cultural misunderstanding aspects.

Now onto those I've only read about.

Empire - a drama series about the family of a black music producer and his family. It sounds utterly hedonistic and OTT, but is getting rave reviews. I've read it described as a black version of Dynasty, with hip hop instead of shoulder pads. The cameos read like a cool Who's Who.

Between - "the story of a town under siege from a mysterious disease that has wiped out everybody except those 21 years old and under. The series explores the power vacuum that results when a government has quarantined a 10-mile diameter area and left the inhabitants to fend for themselves." (from IMDB)
I would like to watch this. Again, reviews have been good.

1864 - Danish series set in... 1864, surprisingly. Supposed to be quite gritty and hyper-real, showing sex romps, lice, malnutrition and old-timey PTSD. Although it is apparently intercut with present day scenes. Another one I'd like to get the chance to give a chance.

Penny Dreadful - supernatural shenanigans in deepest darkest Victorian London. I think Dana is a fan.

Banished - a story set amongst convicts deported to Australia. Russell Tovey and the delicious Julian Rhind-Tutt star, female lead MyAnna Buring. It's another drama, nothing supernatural this time, but it sounds quite harrowing.

I can't say if any of the above are available online. I'm about as useful as a Priest giving marital advice. But I tried.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 08:13 AM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Orphan Black

The Fall

The 100

The Walking Dead

It's always sunny in Philadelphia

X-files

American Horror Story

The Twilight Zone
Old 05-19-2015, 08:58 AM   #7
Clodfobble

Some excellent suggestions, many added to the queue. Thanks everyone!
Old 05-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Life (not the Eddie Murphy movie, the TV series - NetFlix)
The Shield (on Hulu)
Wayward Pines (Hulu)
Californication (NetFlix)

ETA: The Killing & Broadchurch

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #9
Clodfobble

Based on the fact that I added the French version of "The Returned" (one of Sundae's suggestions,) it recommended a Danish series called "Rita," which didn't look like Mr. Clod's thing so I tried it by myself while folding laundry this afternoon.

It is my assertion that Footfootfoot, Griff, and Sundae would definitely love it, and I think possibly DanaC. Probably moves too slowly for LJ, and I get the feeling glatt & Mrs. glatt wouldn't be so into the lengthy subtitles, but I could be wrong. If nothing else, it is fascinating to see what is supposed to be an average school setting in a country that does schooling very differently from us.

Also, it suggested "The United States of Tara," which I have already enjoyed enough to watch three episodes of. A little on the absurdist side, as the whole premise is a woman with genuine dissociative identity disorder and how her family deals with her caricature-ish multiple personalities, but so far it's been handled well. Reminds me of Wilfred in its mixture of drama and absurd.
Old 05-19-2015, 04:06 PM   #10
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

*laughs*

I love that you have a handle on our viewing preferences.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 04:07 PM   #11
DanaC

My problem with recommendations is that i don't know what is on netflix.

Did you watch the Black Mirror series Clod?
Old 05-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #12
Clodfobble

Yeah, we've done the first three episodes. It's okay. We haven't given up on it, but we also haven't been motivated to watch another one recently. The dystopian future thing is very, very hard to get right in my opinion. Children of Men is what I would consider an ideal execution, while the second episode of Black Mirror (the one where they're riding the bikes) was a perfect example of what not to do. Probably I just saw too much of it as a Radio-TV-Film major in college. I instinctively refer to anything dystopian as "someone's senior project."
Old 05-19-2015, 05:25 PM   #13
DanaC

For me, the second season, and the Christmas special were the more interesting forays.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:47 PM   #14
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I'm pretty sure you have watched House of Cards, right?

“Seven Deadly Sins: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Science without humanity, Knowledge without character, Politics without principle, Commerce without morality, Worship without sacrifice.” – Mahatma Gandhi
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:43 AM   #15
Clodfobble

Yes, just finished season 3.