The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 01-05-2003, 05:20 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

3D Frenzy!

I'm sure I'm probably the last person in the world to catch on to this, but there is a lot of very, very cool 3D stuff online for the person with a cheap pair of 3D glasses. If you have a pair of these simple red/blue glasses, you must immediately go to this site and check out the geometric anaglyphs...you will not be sorry.

http://dogfeathers.com/3d/

And, since I'm thick-headed and not terribly considerate of others, I'm posting another home-brewed 3D picture, this time, of the scene from my Pleasant Valley Sunday-esque typical suburban neighborhood front porch, looking across my typical two cars and a camper driveway for your consumption. You'll need to have blue on the left and red on the right for this...somehow, I got the damn sides reversed when I made it...

PS...if you don't have 3D glasses, go get some asap, not for my paltry homemade dabblings, but for the incredibly groovy stuff on the above web site. If they'd had things like this back in the 70's when I was known to dabble in hallucinogenics, I would have never left my house.
Attached Images

Old 01-05-2003, 06:19 PM   #2
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Is there a house in your neighborhood that isn't light blue?
Old 01-05-2003, 06:23 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

That is entirely cool! Luckily my copy of The Atomic Bomb Movie was right next to the computer and I didn't have to search far for 3-D glasses!

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2003, 06:30 PM   #4
Elspode

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
Is there a house in your neighborhood that isn't light blue?
Yeah, there's a few...but not many. The one across the street on the left is actually a light brown, but color anaglyphs are a compromise at best in terms of actual color. Also, I'm going to have to lay my hands on a much better digital camera to get the most out of this 3D thing, I think. Still, it is an amazing amount of fun to concoct a subject and produce the pic. I'm even looking at LCD shutter glasses for the purpose of moving into 3D video (!) and/or interlaced 3D, which give a much more realistic 3D.

I've always loved this sort of thing. I have friends with a huge stereoptican card collection, and I had piles of Viewmaster stuff as a kid. I don't know why I haven't done this before as I've always known it could be done on a home computer with great ease.
Old 01-05-2003, 06:33 PM   #5
Elspode

Another *very* nice anaglyph site. Museum quality B/W 3D. In fact, I think the pictures are taken *of* a museum.

http://digitalstudio.ucr.edu/project...s/default.html
Old 01-05-2003, 06:59 PM   #6
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

I'm sorry Ep, I thought the 3d thing was a joke because your camera was malfunctioning.

"I'm posting another home-brewed 3D picture"
Old 01-05-2003, 07:35 PM   #7
Elspode

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
I'm sorry Ep, I thought the 3d thing was a joke because your camera was malfunctioning.
No...my photography is a joke, but the 3D thing is for real...you just have to have the glasses to see it. The camera is working as well as it works, I'm afraid. I wouldn't be irritating enough to post a digital photo of my driveway without having *some* added value, such as 3D...
Old 02-12-2004, 12:17 AM   #8
Elspode

New Toy

I imagine no one here will care much besides SteveDallas, but I thought I'd share my Valentine's gift with ya'll.

Tower Stereo Camera, Gottingen-Westar 35 mm f3.5 dual lenses, shutter speeds from B to 300, manual focus, using standard 35 mm film cassettes. Got it for a great price because the guy who was selling it thought it didn't work. Seems it won't cock and fire properly...unless you have film in it to keep tension on the film advance sprocket, probably by design. I haven't put film in it yet, but I was able to keep the sprocket tensioned by hand, and voila! She is a fire just fine. High-tech circa 1956, the year of my birth.

Expect a new deluge of homemade anaglyphs soon.
Attached Images

Last edited by Elspode; 02-12-2004 at 12:19 AM.
Elspode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2004, 12:25 AM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

cool...where do you put the quarter in?

...oh that's right..1956....where do you put the nickel, then?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 10:08 AM   #10
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Excellent!!! Good job...can't wait to see the results. I still have 3 rolls of film hangin in my bedroom awaiting their mounts. (I don't do anaglyphs.. I can't stand the color cast.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 11:27 AM   #11
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

I've got a buddy who is really into this stuff. He's in some kind of club where they share their best shots once a month. I'll try to get the info.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2004, 02:39 PM   #12
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Yeah, there are some where they just mail an album around with one shot from each group member. When you're done with the album, you take out your old shot and put in a new one, so every time you get it, there's a completely new set.

There's a lot of that happening via the Internet now, but I haven't contributed much because I'm too lazy to digitize the stuff.
Old 02-13-2004, 02:55 PM   #13
Elspode

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveDallas
Excellent!!! Good job...can't wait to see the results. I still have 3 rolls of film hangin in my bedroom awaiting their mounts. (I don't do anaglyphs.. I can't stand the color cast.)
A: What do you use for a viewer?
B: Is there a simple procedure for doing the mounting?
C: The ease of making anaglyphs compensates for A and B...
Old 02-13-2004, 05:00 PM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by Elspode

A: What do you use for a viewer?
I have a Kodaslide I and a Realist "red button" model, both manufactured during the 1950s.
Quote:

B: Is there a simple procedure for doing the mounting?
Well much depends on the definition of the term "simple", but Rocky Mountain Memories makes slip-in mounts that are relatively inexpensive and allow for fast and simple mounting. I can take an uncut strip of film back from processing and have the 28 or 29 stereo pairs cut out and mounted in about 45 minutes.
Quote:

C: The ease of making anaglyphs compensates for A and B...
The design of a stereo film camera places some constraints on the pictures that make it hard to screw up the mounting. For example, unless you have some really unique mechanical malfunctions, you can assume that both sides of the pair are parallel with each other. Once you start digitizing the images, you have the opportunity to introduce all kinds of problems like having one side slightly higher than the other, having one or both sides rotated slightly from perfectly parallel alignment, having inconsistent color balance between the sides, etc. At this point, mounting the film is faster for me. And besides, unless you have really high end equipment (which I don't), it's really hard to match the image quality of slide film on a scan.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:16 PM   #15
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Hee's one I did in POV-Ray.
Attached Images

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote