The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > The Sycamore Manifestos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

The Sycamore Manifestos Random Acts of Senseless Coherence [Blog view]

Old 12-08-2002, 11:02 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Stoopid Car Commercials

Though I have cut back on my TV viewing, I still see enough to see all the Xmas commercials that are infecting the airwaves right now. And there is one set of commercials that, for some reason, just irritate the hell out of me. They've been on the air for a few years now, and I'm sure many of you have seen them.

They are the ones done by Lexus and Jaguar, where people give their significant others a Lexus or Jaguar for Christmas. The guy whose eyes light up when he sees a Lexus LS 400 (Don't know if that's actually it or not...I'm guessing) sitting behind him in the driveway. The woman that swoons when she is given a set of keys by her husband (via their dog), and then she runs out to see her brand new LX 430 SUV.

Now, I realize that some people just have $50,000 to run out and buy a Jaguar XJ-5, and that I only have enough money to buy Krispy Kremes. But, it just seems so incredibly unrealistic to me. The economy is still sputtering right now, and seems to be hitting people of all income strata. Not to mention, buying a $50,000 car could be pretty hard to hide, especially if you share bank accounts with your significant other. And who actually pays for that car if it's bought on financing? You (the purchaser) or the receiver? And what if you have good intentions, but then you go belly up money-wise a few months later? Then the car gets repo'd and your s.o.'s car is gone...and they're hating you.

I know I know...it's just a silly commercial. The questions I asked are primarily rhetorical, and I'm not THAT jealous. But if any of you were planning on buying me a Xmas present and were planning to spend $30-50k on it, I'd like a Lexus SC 400 Convertible or an IS 300. Thanks.
Old 12-08-2002, 11:18 PM   #2
blase
Coronation Incarnate

Sigh, and my $5,000 car is the only asset I have. Add to that the fact that it just got new tires (there was my Christmas) and still needs a new clutch.
Old 12-09-2002, 06:08 AM   #3
dave

Jenni's Sentra was totaled (weeee!) and they gave her ~$2,000 more than the KBB value. So we put that toward a '99 Beetle (silver, but sadly, not the Turbo model). It's cute, and roomier than you'd think. She's happy with it.

I think we both still miss the Sentra (I know I do), but the Beetle is quickly becoming "her" car.

Here's a little picture of it, stolen directly from the dealer's website (and cropped):

No, that isn't a scratch by the headlight. I'm not quite sure exactly what's going on in the picture, but it's not there now.

Old 12-09-2002, 06:27 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Dave, don't let us catch you slipping behind the wheel of Jenni's new rig. Its cute and it remains a chicks car.

The thing that annoys me about those stooopid car commercials or those diamond ones for that matter is the idea that you make a financial decision like that without consulting your partner. "Here are the keys to your new Lexus, oh by the way that trip to Europe we were talking about, thats off. You'll also be picking up a second job but only for the next five years or so."
Old 12-09-2002, 06:36 AM   #5
dave

I tell you what, I used to hate the new Beetle. It just irritated me. But over the last year, it's grown on me. When they make a 4WD, 200-hp version - I'm on it.

Old 12-09-2002, 06:57 AM   #6
jaguar
whig

The new beetle was terribly designed.
I wanna new Mini, now thats a real man's car.
Old 12-09-2002, 07:20 AM   #7
dave

The Mini is the new trendy car around here. Personally, I think it's ass-ugly. I see about 12 of them every day and man... honestly, I think it takes the "Now That's An Ugly Car!" Award from the PT Cruiser.

I wouldn't say the New Beetle was terribly designed; after spending about 6 hours riding in it so far, I've found a lot of really great ideas in the design (for example, how the seats fold forward). The only thing I really take issue with this point are the pathetic drink holders. They're good for holding an iPod or a 12oz can, but not much else. There's really no excuse for such poor cup holders. At least there's a decent one in the middle, but the main two really fucking suck.

For those who don't know, the center control area (stereo, heat, etc) hangs over the cup holders, meaning anything taller than about 6 inches is not getting in there.

Old 12-09-2002, 02:53 PM   #8
warch
lurkin old school

There is a new beetle commercial that I really like (Mr warch sez the spot is stupid, obtuse, and afterall, its for a GIRL car!) Its the campaign for the upcoming convertible but you dont know that til the last frame. This guy (hipster doofus, ptewy!) wanders around an office, unsure what is missing from his life until he looks out the window and sees...Ahhh suspense!, all to "Mr. Blue Sky" by ELO. - they know my demographic.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:33 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

It nailed Mrs. G. as well.
Old 12-09-2002, 03:58 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

VW's marketing people are just brilliant, which is I suppose one reason why I run a GTI and have the VW Speed Racer poster on my garage wall.

They do the same thing with a lot of spots: they run the 60 second version a few times, and then they run the 30 second version, to save money but still evoke the full emotional whop of the 60 second version.

I know this has been done for a lot of other spots, like Pepsi during the Super Bowl, but it never seems to work as well as it does for the VW ads.
Old 12-09-2002, 05:41 PM   #11
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Hey, I really like the one where the guy is all grumpy about getting a toy car and the chick takes the poloroid and gives it to him while he's being all moany and whiny ...

Makes me cry ...

Now those "zoom-zoom" ads ... those I hate.

Actually caused me NOT to go shopping for a Mazda.

I just bought a car. Did so irrespective of advertising. Walked into a dealership that was chosen solely because it was the closest one to my house. Drove first car I saw.

Got a major awesome deal. Signed papers. Bing-bang, Done.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 12-09-2002, 05:49 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Oh ... Nearly Forgot. I took pictures.

This is an awesomely sweet car, if I do say so myself. (and yes, I am aware of the edmunds.com review that points out the "forgettable rental car persona." They are wrong.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 12-10-2002 at 01:39 AM.
Old 12-10-2002, 02:42 PM   #13
Leus
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Now those "zoom-zoom" ads ... those I hate.

Actually caused me NOT to go shopping for a Mazda.
Now that's interesting... I'm tired of that stupid song. I live in Chile, and didn't knew that we get the same commercials...
Old 12-10-2002, 02:50 PM   #14
perth
Strong Silent Type

i like the colour, wolf. and i have a car with that forgettable rental car'' persona, but i love it.

~james
Old 12-10-2002, 03:47 PM   #15
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Leus
Now that's interesting... I'm tired of that stupid song. I live in Chile, and didn't knew that we get the same commercials...
I'm sure some of the commercials you get down there are much like our own...maybe with a different voice.

Wolf, what is that? It looks vaguely like a Ford Taurus, but it has a grill, so scratch that.