The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 06-09-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
Tulip
Professor

Toddler boy

I have a 5 yr. old nephew whom I babysit. Lately, he's been playing with his little wee wee often. And sometimes he would be touching his testicles. Is this normal? I don't know if it's itching or irritating him and he doesn't really answer when we ask him. He's not circumcised so I'm worried that it could be urinary tract infection. What do you think? I tried to do a search but got no idea how about in doing it. I typed in "why do toddler boys touch their wee wee" and didn't get any answers from that search question.
Tulip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 06:02 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

of course it's normal. They just get worse as they get older Unless he seems pained or irritated, just ignore it, or send him to the bathroom to do it, explaining that it's not OK to do it in front of other people/something you should only do in private. Or you could try telling him not to do it at all. Good luck with that.

5year-olds would not be considered toddlers, btw.
Old 06-09-2010, 08:58 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Yeah, the best you can do is explain to him that touching himself is not something you do in front of other people. None of them ever actually stop doing it.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'm touching mine right now!
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 09:19 PM   #5
monster

Don't you always when clodfobble posts?
Old 06-09-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
Clodfobble

I know I do.
Old 06-09-2010, 09:52 PM   #7
monster

we all know you do....
Old 06-09-2010, 11:23 PM   #8
Clodfobble

Back to the topic of Tulip's nephew, I have been corrected by Mr. Clodfobble: apparently, most little boys touch themselves at this age out of mere curiosity, and then they soon get over it and stop, and don't pick up the practice again until puberty when the benefits are far more significant. So you might not even have to tell him to stop if you're feeling uncomfortable about it. But I would, myself. It's never too early to start (gently) explaining socially unacceptable behaviors.
Old 06-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #9
lookout123
changed his status to single

Just tell him it isn't a handle so he should keep his little perverted hands off it.

You too, LJ.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #10
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Back to the topic of Tulip's nephew, I have been corrected by Mr. Clodfobble: apparently, most little boys touch themselves at this age out of mere curiosity, and then they soon get over it and stop, and don't pick up the practice again until puberty when the benefits are far more significant. So you might not even have to tell him to stop if you're feeling uncomfortable about it. But I would, myself. It's never too early to start (gently) explaining socially unacceptable behaviors.
I dunno, ours showed no signs of stopping until we told them they shouldn't do it in public
Old 06-10-2010, 08:16 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

My bro touched his until school (5 at that time).
Despite being told no, not to, not in public, naughty and all that, it was a comfort thing he wasn't willing to change. He stopped immediately when told to, but his hand crept back down his trousers afterwards.

I doubt he stopped the day he started school. I just remember that it was not an issue on our next summer holiday.

I'd draw attention to it as something wrong to do, like picking your nose and eating it. Peer pressure (esp from little girls) will do the rest sooner or later.

Oh and FTR - the vast majority of boys in this country are uncircumcised. I doubt that is a factor.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:29 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
- the vast majority of boys in this country are uncircumcised.
How does one know this?

and btw, HI SUNDAE!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 08:36 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
How does one know this?
I've experienced the majority of men in this country
But seriously, it's a proper statistic (don't make me find it!) backed up by personal experience (only 2 circumcised English men, one of whom was my first BF and not a sexual partner)
Quote:
and btw, HI SUNDAE!
Hey chick!
I still have that book to send you. I blew it off this month in favour of a ticket to see JB speak at the National Theatre. Ticket only £3.50 but train fare is horrid. Think of me on the 24th, enjoying myself by denying you :p
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #14
monster

She's right, you know. We barbarians prefer them as nature intended
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Who is JB? (I'm hopeless, aren't I?)

Ok, if you AND monnie say the English lads are as the Goddess made them, I'll have to accept it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote