The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-21-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
Juniper
I know, right?

Buying New Car

That thread about our first cars got me thinking. As I mentioned, I have a 2008 Honda CR-V. I like it all right, but I'm not in love with it. Yeah, yeah . . . I know. Some people are happy to have a car that runs with no major problems. I'm spoiled rotten. Oh well, that's not news.

I bought it in Jan 08, traded in our Kia Sedona minivan (which we liked very much). At the time I was thinking - whoa - four bucks a gallon! And getting ready to start college, which is a 40-minute drive. Plus I was going to be a cool college kid again, had to get something kinda sporty-ish for my mid-life crisis. (Yeah, that's as crazy as I get, I guess.) I really like the car; it's comfy and does everything I need it to do, handles very well in snow, holds lots of family clutter, a nice basic crossover car. I never had a bit of trouble with it, knock on wood. I'd recommend it. I think even the 2011 is exactly the same, so they got it right.

But now I'm thinking . . . a new car might be a really cool graduation gift for myself! I'd like a new SUV. Not something huge, but one that sits up a bit higher than the CR-V, something comfy with the modern bells & whistles like XM/Sirius, a GPS, etc. A 3rd row would be nice, unless it makes the whole thing way too big.

So I'm warring with myself. On one hand, OMG, what kind of idiot only keeps a new car 2 1/2 years? On the other hand, the car IS paid for, trade-in value is still pretty good, it's up to about 35K miles and things might start going wrong . . . . hm.

I mentioned it to the hubby, and it takes VERY little for him to get whipped up into car-shopping mode. I don't know why I expected him to say . . . yeah, maybe we'll shop in another year or so . . . but I did expect it. And of course he didn't. He said "Yay! Let's go test-drive! You deserve it baby!" LOL!

Well, we'll see. What would you do in my place? Reward yourself for all of that "A-grubbing" and use that car payment as an incentive to get your ass in gear and make some money with that shiny new degree, or just be a good girl and drive the Honda for a while?
Juniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That's the spirit, get the economy rolling again... besides some poor person needs your used car.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:42 AM   #3
Juniper
I know, right?

Ha ha. More to the point, does Obama want me to buy a new car?
Old 02-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Juni,

I have been in the car business for 15 years now. I'm the Finance guy that signs your contracts with you. My advice to you is to keep your car for 8 more years. It will last that long, and still be worth a little. It suits your needs, and has a very good reliability rating for maintenance cost. You'd be better served 'treating' yourself to an expense that is much shorter term... like a nice vacation or a boob job.

Trading a car after 2.5 years is a bad idea. The cost of buying a car is a curve. During the first 3 years, you're getting ass raped by depreciation. During the next 4, you're recovering from it and pulling ahead of the expense/investment thing. keep it for 10, and you're in the black even if it's a hyundai or mitsu.
- so that's the realistic argument

but this IS america.... so ....

what car blows your skirt up?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:16 AM   #5
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

I don't like spending money on cars but I do want it to look nice and be in good running order.

I bought a great car for almost 4,000. That's chump change to some. It is a cheap car relatively speaking but what is weird the people out panhandling for money look at my car like I am a good rich prospect.So I think because they get that puppy dog look or hold their sign a little higher. I dunno. Little do they know I am a poor slob just like them. I just happen to have wheels. In fact most times I would bet I have less money in my pocket than them.

ah life
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

The April issue of Consumer Reports is only about cars. Maybe wait for the latest numbers - and time to think about it without winter doldrums.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:31 PM   #7
Cloud

The CR-V is a perfect car. And paid for? Geez.

It will last you a looooong time, so if you're really unhappy with it, get rid of it. If you're not concerned about reliability and longevity (as I am) and get rid of your cars fast, then go with something flashy that will fall apart in a few years.

(frown jealously)

Last edited by Cloud; 02-21-2010 at 01:38 PM.
Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #8
Juniper
I know, right?

I know, I know. Forget it, it was just a moment of insanity.

Like tw said, probably induced by many gray, gloomy winter days.

Instead I'll get my car some new toys.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Cloud

Well, I forgive you, because I've been eyeing new cars myself, even though mine still has a few good years on it. I want to save up some dough first though.

The CR-V is one of the ones I've been eyeing, and you're not the first person I know who has traded it in/considered trading it in, so I'm kind of wondering why. Too blah? What color is yours?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Juniper
I know, right?

I don't really know what it is, Cloud. I like the car, as I said. Too blah, maybe that's it. There's nothing wrong with it. I wish it sat up a little higher - it's not a "car", not quite an SUV, just a big compromise. Not exciting in any way, just practical, but stylish enough, you know? Like a pair of sensible dress shoes.

Mine is glacier blue.

And there are TONS of them out there. I don't know how many times I've gone to the wrong car and wondered why my key fob clicky-thing wasn't working. But if you choose a good car, that's what you're gonna get.

Maybe I need to put some neon on it or something. Pimp my ride.
Old 02-21-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Cloud

well, I'm used to sitting down low. and talk about TONS -- I have a silver Honda Civic.

the blue is pretty, but I'm going for a dark color next time. I wonder what colors wear the best?
Old 02-21-2010, 06:58 PM   #12
jinx
Come on, cat.

Not black or white unless you live at the carwash. Gold hides dirt (but is ugly imo), silver always looks good but blends into the crowds of other silver cars.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:34 AM   #13
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I once had a job where I had to stand beside a road and count how many cars went past. No shit.
Anyway, it was done at morning and evening peak-hours, with the sun low or in twilight.
White cars were visible at maybe 800 metres, yellows and bright reds maybe 500, then dark reds, blues, blacks emerge around 4 or 300. Silver pops out at 200 or so but the smoky-gray with a dash of brown sneaks right up on you. Try the observations yourself. I will never again buy a car that isn't a bright colour; all my cars since then have been white.
Old 02-22-2010, 08:39 AM   #14
Pie
Gone and done

I've been going through this same thought process myself. I've got a 4-cyl 2000 Honda Accord EX-L (what else, I'm a lemming!) with 144k miles. It's still in really good shape, but I've been eying the current crop of Hondas, maybe a Fit? I don't need a big 'family' sedan for my 5-mile commute.

But the economics just don't work. There's no way that better gas mileage will make up for the new-car ass-rapeage (as LJ put it).

So, maybe some toys for the current car. A new stereo, with bluetooth, USB & aux inputs? A detailing job, to get rid of all those tiny paint chips and rust spots? A new windscreen? (I've got two big chips on the passenger's side -- it passed inspection, but it's annoying.)

What's economical to do? What's practical?

Oh, and does anyone recommend HD radio? The receiver I've got my eye on (the Alpine CDE-103BT) isn't HD-compatible.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:08 AM   #15
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

It all depends upon the speakers that you have in the car - If they are crap (most are) then I don't think it matters.