The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 02-10-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
sugarpop
Professor

Obama's town hall meeting/speech

So, did anyone else catch the town hall meeting today? Unscripted, in front of an audience not choosen by handlers, in a town that did not vote for Obama, where questions were not prescreened. How refreshing! Can you imagine bush doing just ONE of those things? The people were VERY RECEPTIVE to Obama.

Did everyone see the speech tonight? And the Q&A with reporters? Where Obama actually answered 3 part questions? I thought he did an awesome job. How nice to have someone in office again who actually THINKS about things. BRAINS. Good for the country.
sugarpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

He did an awesome job. I imagined Bush stumbling and fumbling through whatever someone told him to say, and thought "what a difference."

Obama thinks things through, and answers intelligently. I am proud that the leader of our country actually has skillz.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:15 AM   #3
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

He did excellent - public speaking is one of many stronger talents. But please, lets not judge Obama against Bush. Perhaps you could compare him to one of your own like Clinton, the Bill variety. I think Clinton did just as well, if not better.
I mean seriously, Do you want to say "Well he was better than Bush" to be Obama's legacy? I think thats a little insulting to him - don't you?
Old 02-10-2009, 08:29 AM   #4
Shawnee123

I'm saying if the podium fits...

Why not compare the two? For 8 years I squirmed watching Bush speak, thinking "come on you can do it...spit it out, you're all right, come on, don't be dumb sparky" and comparisons in every other way are acceptable so why not the fact that it's important our president doesn't look like a complete fool at all times?

What a non-response, dude.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:07 AM   #5
sugarpop
Professor

Clinton was also a very elloquent speaker who was a joy to listen to. The point I was making with bush is, THANK THE GODS we finally have a President again who is actually worthy of the title.
Old 02-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #6
classicman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarpop View Post
Clinton was also a very eloquent speaker who was a joy to listen to. The point I was making with bush is, THANK THE GODS we finally have a President again who is actually worthy of the title.
Clinton was a great speaker, even when you knew he was lying. He was that good.
I'd just like Obama to be judged on his own, instead of using what you all seem to consider such a low measuring stick.
How could he possible fail against someone you hate? There doesn't seem to be any value in that comparison.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
glatt

It's like coming inside out of a hot humid day into air conditioning and saying "boy, that A/C sure feels cool compared to the hot muggy weather out there."
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #8
Shawnee123

classic,

First, there's that word again: hate. No, I don't hate Bush. Bush let me down, as my president. Quit hiding behind your assertion that we are all just Bush haters, and kick your buddies out from behind that assertion while you're at it.

Second: don't compare? As glatt pointed out, it was a breath of fresh air. I'm smart enough to wait to compare after I see what time brings us, thank you very much. I like, for the time being though, not being embarrassed as hell that the rest of the world is saying "what the FUCK were those people thinking?"

Third: you'd like Obama to be judged on his own (merit, I'm guessing would finish your sentence)? Tell you what, you start judging more fairly and I'll never compare him to Bush ever again.

Oh, and your sentence "Perhaps you could compare him to one of your own like Clinton" tells more than any word I've typed in this post.
Old 02-10-2009, 07:13 PM   #9
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
He did an awesome job. I imagined Bush stumbling and fumbling through whatever someone told him to say, and thought "what a difference."
Obama thinks things through, and answers intelligently.
This was an important comparison. It says that the US government will only continue to make this nation worse for a few more years. Then we will begin to see the US government actually contributing to the advancement of America. 85% of all problems are directly traceable to top management. Destruction promoted and encouraged by the federal government should finally stop.

That meeting demonstrates that top management can finally converse with everyone - not be limited to a carefully vetted crowd of wacko extremist believers. Great leaders talk to everyone. Those who cannot are only destructive.

We now have an opportunity for the US government to eventually start contributing to America It demonstrates, for example, why science would not longer be subverted and why the troops should finally get support and leadership that has long been missing. But more so, it means America may have the foresight to lead forth in new ventures and innovations rather than stifle and deny them while waiting to be attacked.

Only great leaders talk even with the opposition and enemies. The town meeting and comparisons with George Jr are critically important to understand what our future may be. In the next few years, we should eventually expect negativity, hate, and destruction of the American economy first slow, then reverse.

Important so recognize the direction of that change is to compare Obama to George Jr. Also useful is to compare Obama to Clinton and to George Sr.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #10
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Americans don't care about pork spending.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEfICUoWKBw
Old 02-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #11
classicman

Not if its being spent on them.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:19 PM   #12
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

To bad "them" is a narrow group.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
classicman

Too bad I'm not one of them.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:01 AM   #14
TGRR
Horrible Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
He did excellent - public speaking is one of many stronger talents. But please, lets not judge Obama against Bush.
Yeah, that kind of gives Obama an unfair advantage. It's like comparing Richard Nixon to a badly brain-damaged 5 year old.
TGRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:18 PM   #15
sugarpop
Professor

Oh good grief. I DO give Obama credit, on his own merit, for his brilliance. I was simply trying to demonstrate how different it will be under his guidance, than it has been for the past 8 years. IMO, the past 8 years have done immeasurable damage to this country, because the American people twice allowed an egomaniacal buffoon with a God complex into the White House.