The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 09-27-2008, 12:57 PM   #1
binky
all hollowed out

Upper G I barium test

Has anyone had one of these? I need to get one on Friday because of some pain and vomiting. What should I expect as far as after-affects?
Old 09-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Nothing, really. You drink the barium (kinda thick and chalky), they take pictures...you might belch a bit afterwards. It's a (relatively) easy diagnostic test. Are you prepping with laxatives? That's probably the worst part.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 02:13 PM   #3
binky
all hollowed out

No. Thanks Bri, they didn't tell me that.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:07 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Did they tell you anything? I've found it very typical of them to "forget" to tell you of certain nasty effects. There were so many things the medico's didn't tell me about chemo and side effects...truly amazingly important stuff they didn't tell me.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 09-27-2008, 04:21 PM   #5
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

i had a barium enema when i was an infant. i dont remember it at all, but I've always been a hard ass
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:59 PM   #6
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

barium: what you do when the patient dies
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

laf
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 05:25 PM   #8
binky
all hollowed out

thanks for the support guys. Actually Bri, all they told me was to fast after midnight the night before
Old 09-27-2008, 06:43 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

If it's upper, I'm not sure they need to do the laxative thing. (Disclaimer: not only am I not a doctor, I don't play one on the internet.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:34 PM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I had an upper years and years ago---as a teen. They made me take dulcolax at twice the regular dosage the night before----probably found they didn't need to do that!

—James Barrie

Old 09-27-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

No biggie binky. You'll glide through this one.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:19 PM   #12
binky
all hollowed out

Thanks guys for all the advice and support. I just hate anything to do with doctors.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:35 AM   #13
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

I think I had one of those when I was in Japan. IIRC:
Fasting, thick chalky drink, roll over three times, photos, laxatives, and funny things happening in your bowels afterwards.

Don't gulp the drink down too quickly - one of my cow orkers said this can cause a bubble which will look like a problem leading to an unnecessary follow-up gastroscopy (camera tube down mouth).

Expect a bleachy white turd (or several) which sits in the bottom of the bowl and won't flush.

No major drama. Just be mindful of where the nearest toilet is, and if you don't get moving soonish, take another laxative. You'll be right.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #14
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

I had a barium test a while back. I mostly remember them putting me on some kind of rotating table. I remember feeling bloated and gassy for a few hours afterwards, but no serious aftereffects.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:31 PM   #15
Yznhymr
the crowd goes wild!

I just had this test last week. What everyone has said about the experience matches mine. No prep other than no food or drink after midnight. After test, I had some Milk-of-Magnesia to flush the Barium. Barium tends to make you constipated. Weird experience having white poop. My test was very extensive (at the VA) and several tests had to be redone, including a small colon test, which requires a lot thicker, more concentrated form of the Barium.

I've had worse tests, that's for sure. Nothing to worry about. Hope all goes well for your test.
"The pride system tends to intensify the self-hate against which it is supposed to be a defense, since any failure to live up to one's tyrannical shoulds or of the world to honor one's claims leads to feelings of worthlessness." Bernard J. Paris, Ph.D.
Yznhymr is offline   Reply With Quote