The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 06-14-2007, 10:44 AM   #1
Kitsune
still eats dirt

New Hampshire Tax Standoff

Ed Brown is currently involved in a standoff with the federal government over refusing to pay the IRS, but the wait could be a long one.

Quote:
Stephen Monier, U.S. marshal in New Hampshire, said yesterday the government has severed the Browns' telephone service, Internet access and power to their hilltop home in Plainfield.

He acknowledged, however, that other people are supplying the Browns with laptop computers, providing them with Internet access. Ed Brown also built his home with solar panels and windmills for power and also has backup generators.
While the number of people involved is small, we might soon see if the FBI learned anything from Waco.

Quote:
Ed “is armed and has promised a Waco like ending … he will not be taken alive.”
Videos of interviews found here.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:15 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

More Ruby Ridge than Waco.
Old 06-14-2007, 11:11 PM   #3
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Isn't there a controversy about the IRS tax being illegal?

Either way, if the money goes to the right places, I don't think much will change.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 06:39 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

There is a controversy, but the system exists. I'm afraid we're looking at a dead man.
Old 06-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

The IRS can roll over and die.

Since freakin' when is it ok to throw someone in jail for failure to pay a debt. If the Brown's have liquid assets then seize them to pay the debt. If they have real estate then slap a lien on it. If they have a car then repo it.

Failing to pay taxes should NEVER result in incarceration. Mr. Brown should be allowed to live his life in peace and deal with the consequences of whatever financial penalties are assessed and enforced against him.
Old 06-15-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Look how the Feds finally got Capone.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:52 AM   #7
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think it's maybe the difference between inability to pay a debt and refusal to pay.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
There is a controversy, but the system exists. I'm afraid we're looking at a dead man.
Anyone care to explain this controversy? I don't understand the argument that the IRS is an illegal organization or that the collection of taxes is somehow unconstitutional.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Radar has spoken volumes on the subject...just do a search on Radar's name along with "income tax."
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:43 AM   #10
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Its an academic argument. Let's just shut down the IRS and quit collecting taxes and see where that gets us.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Small communites in AZ and NM are billing the Feds for housing, arresting, and transporting illegal aliens. I don't think they expect to get the money they are owed, but the point is being made either way.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:53 AM   #12
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Its an academic argument. Let's just shut down the IRS and quit collecting taxes and see where that gets us.
You mean we won't be able to electively engage in pointless military excursions; or award fat contracts to database maestros to fix elections?
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2007, 10:54 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
Anyone care to explain this controversy? I don't understand the argument that the IRS is an illegal organization or that the collection of taxes is somehow unconstitutional.
From what I remember the question is whether or not the amendment that legalized this type of taxation was properly ratified. Unfortunately, the Constitution is a dead document so arguments of this type are pointless and only result in the occasional true believer getting gassed, burned, and shot.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:57 AM   #14
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Small communites in AZ and NM are billing the Feds for housing, arresting, and transporting illegal aliens. I don't think they expect to get the money they are owed, but the point is being made either way.
As it should for all unfunded mandates.

Its a problem we've had since the Declaration of Independence was ratified. How is the work of the government allocated between states and the fed and who pays for what. Frankly its a Gordian Knot of a mess and no one will ever completely solve it. But only hearing one party's side to one aspect of the issue offers no insight into the magnitude or distribution of inequity between a given state and the fed. The fed pays for a lot of state stuff. Is it even? Who knows?

That's what congressmen/women and senators are supposed to wrangle over. Some are better than others at it.
Old 06-15-2007, 03:15 PM   #15
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie View Post
Since freakin' when is it ok to throw someone in jail for failure to pay a debt. If the Brown's have liquid assets then seize them to pay the debt. If they have real estate then slap a lien on it. If they have a car then repo it.

Failing to pay taxes should NEVER result in incarceration. Mr. Brown should be allowed to live his life in peace and deal with the consequences of whatever financial penalties are assessed and enforced against him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I think it's maybe the difference between inability to pay a debt and refusal to pay.
I know it's not a good example (being considered a fascist state) but refusal to pay tax certainly get a spell in the gaol over here. Occasionally pensioners will baulk at paying their council tax (payment for local services) for various reasons. They do it as a protest, knowing their court appearances will spark media interest at the idea of retired, otherwise law abiding people getting imprisoned.

In the past anonymous donors who agree with their cause have come forward and paid the tax on their behalf. Which makes me think it's a crafty plan, the silver old foxes.