The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-18-2006, 08:27 PM   #1
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Ants :S

It's that time of year here again. Rain, cold... immigrants laying eggs in your home. I'm talking ants of course. I've never had a bad problem with ants. A few scouts and lots outside. So waking up this morning to a complete infestation after no warning sign was a suprise. Now then, what to do to get rid of them? Got ant traps at the store but what else can I do? I didn't have any open food for them to get to but that didn't stop them from assaulting some empty cups and wrapped food that I had out. I'm more interested in preventing their return so there aren't any more breakfast surprises.
WabUfvot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
hideouse
Coronation Incarnate

antz

Mix equal parts boric acid and sugar with a little water and leave it in a saucer where only the bugs can get to it. They'll take it home and they'll all leave you be after a bit.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:07 AM   #3
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Ahh, thanks, I totally forgot about the boric acid trick.
Old 12-19-2006, 07:18 PM   #4
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

You know everyone always says to use boric acid, but where the hell do you buy such a thing? I've looked and looked and all I can find is Borax which doesn't seem to be the same thing.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 07:26 PM   #5
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Borax is sodium borate is boric acid.

The exterminator came today and didn't even mention boric acid. In fact he didn't even spray anything. That kinda makes me glad since I'm edgy about chemicals sprayed where my food is. He said the Grant's ant spikes I got would work fine but mixed a bit a water in with it so the ants would take it faster and easier. He said they removed that tip from the box a few years ago because people were getting the dehydrated honey / arsenic / water on their fingers and ingesting it :S As an added bonus he gave me a good story about some guy who was getting poisoned by his housekeeper. She was using ant bait from a trap to put in his food!
Old 12-19-2006, 10:04 PM   #6
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebediah
As an added bonus he gave me a good story about some guy who was getting poisoned by his housekeeper. She was using ant bait from a trap to put in his food!
Great googley moogley!
Ants, I had forgotten about those little suckers! Here in Georgia we have the red ants, which mostly stay outside, but I remember growing up in CA we had to keep the sugar in the freezer. I still do that, even though I don't need to anymore. Old habits die hard, I guess.
Best of luck eradicating the little buggers!
hh
Old 12-20-2006, 11:29 PM   #7
WabUfvot5
Operations Operative

Leaving sugar out is just inviting problems I guess. The ants were swarmed around one of those tasty Hostess® fruit pies. Even though it was wrapped they could tell it was something good and were attacking.

Do you ever get critters in your cat food? I think I'm gonna invest in some of those tupperware containers to keep cereal and cat food in. Will save trouble in the long run I suspect.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #8
busterb
NSABFD

http://bexar-tx.tamu.edu/IPM/Househo...omeantbait.htm
I have a knock-off of this I use. Needs to be cooked.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:59 AM   #9
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

alum works pretty well as a deterrent to the little bastards! (the whole moving to georgia thing has forced me to remember all sorts of things about how to dispatch or distract all sorts of crawling things.. fire ants being chief among them.. ) and is cheap and non-toxic, for those in more challenging social situations..

on a side note...we use a 5 gallon pickle bucket to keep our catfood in.. seals up water tight and holds a 20# bag.. and if you know anyone in food service.. I'm sure their kitchen would be happy to give you one.. or failing that.. a quick drive by the dumpster will yield a bounty of them... sure they're not all that pretty.. but.. then again.. did I mention free?
Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

My animal food storage containers are fairly tight and I've never had a problem with them, though I have occasionally (once every other year or so) had a problem with ants getting into the indoor kitty's bowls. I just shake the ants out, clean the bowls and the floor area and spray, spray, spray! (spray indoor and out) Clean the floor again and put the kitties' food back where it belongs.
For the two outside cats, I used to get ants...and other stray animals...so now I only feed them when I see them. Just a handful or two at a time, but I'll feed them several handfuls throughout the day/evening. More feedings in winter than summer.
hh
Old 12-22-2006, 07:28 AM   #11
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble
You know everyone always says to use boric acid, but where the hell do you buy such a thing? I've looked and looked and all I can find is Borax which doesn't seem to be the same thing.
It used to be common at any Hardware store - remember those?
Anyway try a Lowes or Home Depot - they might have it, if not see if you can find and independent hardware store.

I had an insect infestation problem (roaches) caused by the neighbor from the apt behind me. Everytime I turned on the lights in the morning, there would be dozens of them scurrying around trying to find a place to hide! - used the boric acid and suddenly there were no more problems in my apt.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote