The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-23-2006, 02:08 PM   #1
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Kite Tubing Update For KV

Hey KV, at least check out the video clips from this announcement; we don't want an injured celler-dweller (at least I don't think so).

GLEN CANYON NATIONAL RECREATION AREA
Kite Tubing Safety Alert

Over the past month, the park has experienced a sharp upswing in visitor accidents and injuries due to kite tubing on the lake.

Kite tubes were introduced into the market this past winter and have proven to be extremely dangerous. During the past three weeks, Glen Canyon staff have airlifted four people from the lake, with three suffering life threatening injuries. Kite tubes are large, round, ten-foot tubes with a solid fabric floor in the bottom. As the tube is pulled forward, the front of the tube is lifted and air catches the floor of the tube and lifts it out of the water with the rider on top of the tube.

In all cases at Glen Canyon NRA, the riders were being pulled at 25 to 35 mph with a head on or quartering wind. The tubes would rise uncontrollably 15 to 25 feet into the air and immediately invert and accelerate back to the water. The combined forward speed of the boat, plus the additional accelerated downward speed is driving these victims into the water at speeds near 50+ mph. For additional details on the accidents, see the related incident report in today’s edition.

Interviews with friends and family members of accident victims have shown a disturbing trend with this use. In all cases at Glen Canyon NRA, multiple minor injury accidents occurred prior to the incidents that required advanced life support. All victims were using the kite tubes as directed when they suddenly lifted to dangerous heights, became unstable, and plunged down to the water surface. The injuries seen are consistent with deceleration impact events that cause internal trauma. Victims have reported coughing up blood, torn muscles, whiplash type injuries, broken ribs, punctured lungs and cervical fractures.

Glen Canyon NRA has initiated discussion and contact with the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA) and will be providing a national safety alert through their organization very soon. In addition, the Consumer Product Safety Commission has been notified regarding this emerging threat and efforts are being made to disseminate more information on this activity through them.
One of the park’s weekend accidents resulted in a major neck injury. A news video from KUTV in Salt Lake City and a second KUTV video clip on an incident at Lake Mead can be viewed by clicking on the links listed below (a flash player is needed to view them):

http://www.kutv.com/video/?id=16192@kutv.dayport.com
http://www.kutv.com/video/?id=16155@kutv.dayport.com

A prohibition on cliff jumping was put in place at Glen Canyon last year after an increase in injuries and fatalities associated with this activity. Although controversial in the beginning, it has been widely accepted and the park has received many positive comments back on this prohibition. A review of the data indicated that a significant increase in injury and death occurred at jumps higher than 15 feet. The last cliff jumping fatality occurred from 70 feet, with a calculated speed of about 50 mph when the victim impacted the water.

Similar circumstances apply in this case. All kite tubers reported that they were traveling at 30 to 35 mph and most were 15 to 20 feet in the air when they were either ejected or turned upside down and accelerated back to the water. Another 10 to 20 mph of speed is added to their forward speed, so the victims are hitting the water at 45 to 55 mph. These accidents are therefore the equivalent of a 70 foot cliff jump, with the added component of the victims having no control over how they enter or impact the water.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:12 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

So if he's successful in suing the manufacturer, that means he isn't a dumbass, right?
Old 06-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
What are they going to go after next, Lawn Darts?

Fun sponges.
Old 06-25-2006, 01:31 AM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:52 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 07:59 AM   #5
Pangloss62
Lecturer

Pegged In The Head With A Lawn Dart

Way, way, way back in the day, when I was a fake punk up in Boston, there was this obscure band named "Ed's Redeeming Qualities." They didn't go far, but as far as I know, they're the only band to record a song about lawn darts:

Pegged In The Head With a Lawn Dart
Ed's Redeeming Qualities

It was the third of July and the weather was fine
Ed brought the hot dogs, the croquet set was mine
But the red ball was missing and three mallets were bent
Ed suggested lawn darts so to K-Mart we went
We looked by the yard games, we looked by the grills
But we couldn't find lawn darts come high water or hills
We talked to the sales clerk and she started to cry
She said "They're off the shelves now," and she told us both why:

A kid was pegged in the head with a lawn dart
Her dad didn't see 'er, that's the worst part;
A kid was pegged in the head with a lawn dart
So they're now off the shelves at the K-Mart

Well we both felt so bad that we gave up the search
Ed went to bed, and I went to church
And now we never grill hot dogs, and we don't play yard games
Since we heard that sad story things just aren't the same

Pegged in the head with a lawn dart (lawn dart!)
Her dad didn't see 'er, that's the worst part;
Pegged in the head with a lawn dart
So they're now off the shelves at the K-Mart
Old 06-26-2006, 12:32 PM   #6
KinkyVixen
Marching In!

Ok...so maybe I'll not use the kite tube? Maybe once? However, I'm very nervous now. Thanks for the warnings though...I definitely don't wanna hurt myself, or anyone else.
Old 06-26-2006, 10:19 PM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Recreation without the slightest hint of danger is a complete waste of time. Things that you *survive* are almost always more fun than things you simply *do*.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #8
Griff
still says videotape

I love mountain biking. If I push it hard, I'll probably fall during the ride. Thing is I control my fall, I suspect that isn't the case with the tube. I'm not a big lawsuit guy though...

The kid with the target looks just like me at that age and yes I loved lawn darts.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:41 PM   #9
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Since I have no regard for the sanctity of threads, I want to give a shout ou to those clacker things that supposedly exploded in a shower of acrylic sharpnel, blinding you instantly and irrepairably.

ROOOOOOOCCKK!
Old 06-28-2006, 02:27 PM   #10
rkzenrage

Before getting to the point I'm at now everything I did for fun was dangerous. When I get hurt I never once thought to sue those making the equipment. Bunch of pussies today.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:22 PM   #11
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Before getting to the point I'm at now everything I did for fun was dangerous. When I get hurt I never once thought to sue those making the equipment. Bunch of pussies today.
Exactly! Take tennisball canons or potato canons. Are you gonna go after final net or some dirt farmer in maine? Spalding?

It was a point of pride.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:29 PM   #12
rkzenrage

Idaho?
Old 06-29-2006, 01:15 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by footfootfoot
Since I have no regard for the sanctity of threads, I want to give a shout ou to those clacker things that supposedly exploded in a shower of acrylic sharpnel, blinding you instantly and irrepairably.

ROOOOOOOCCKK!
I loved those things. I have a set of the redesigned solid plastic variety. They are in a box somewhere (I hope). You can still give yourself a nasty bruise if they get out of control.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2006, 03:51 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage
Idaho?
Hell no, those people are armed and dangerous.
Old 06-29-2006, 07:51 AM   #15
rkzenrage

Not if you sue their tater guns away.