The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 AM   #1
Flint
Snowflake

SMILIES pro versus con

The format of pure text with which we attempt to communicate here is limited due to the absence of nuance provided via in-real-life speech. Non-verbal cues like hand gestures as well as the emphasis placed on the tone of certain words and phrases can contain as much, if not more meaning, in a normal speech-based conversation, than the words themselves. How do we compensate for this lack of nuance in a text-based format? How does the use of SMILIES factor into this?

Pro: SMILIES could be an indicator of these non-verbal communication elements, IE “I was only joking” or “Are you crazy?” etc.

Con: SMILIES could be an indicator that people have lost the ability to communicate meanings strictly through the use of the English language.

Given that we have the ability to format text in order to emphasize words approximately the way they would be spoken, I favor the Con position, that is, people would be better served by the use of proper English sentences than by pre-packaged imitations of human emotion. Do poets not express emotion through words?

Regarding the tendency of people to mask their true emotions, or purposefully express false emotions, this will occur both in real life and on the internet, however, it shouldn’t be as easy as clicking a fake emotion-button. That degrades us all, as human beings.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

There is a third option:

I am aware that smilies annoy some people, so I will increase my use of them for that sole purpose: my ability to communicate is not a factor when using smilies. :p
Old 04-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #3
marichiko

Fuck poets (I'm a poet, BTW). A picture is worth a 1,000 words! :p

Old 04-17-2006, 12:42 PM   #4
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Pro: smilies were invented at my alma mater.

|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:48 PM   #5
ferret88
(This space left intentionally UN-blank.)

While I will grant that, at least to some extent, "we" have lost the ability to communicate meaning soley through the use of written words, I must say that a purely written communication does indeed leave much to be left to the imagination of the reader. Without the tone and other nonverbal language, some things can be easily misinterpreted.

Or maybe I just haven't figured out how to express sarcasm correctly without the use of nonverbal "language."
ferret88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 12:58 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Well, Flint, even though you seem to choose not to use smilies, you make use of an even more annoying method of emphasis (text color) in an attempt to make your point.

Interesting.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
The format of pure text . . .
Quote:
Given that we have the ability to format text in order to emphasize words approximately the way they would be spoken
So what you're saying is that if one can't express what one intends in "plain" text then it's OK to change the text in certain ways, but not to actually add something to the text. For that matter, where does punctuation fit in? Don't we use punctuation all the time to give clues to the readers about what we intend, clues that we presume would be present aurally and in body language if we were speaking the same words? What's the difference between using "!" to indicate a sense of shock and using ?

You're also assuming that people will pick up the cues from spoken words. It doesn't always happen. Some people can't figure out what's going on if you hit them over the head with a 2x4, much less a smilie.
Quote:
people would be better served by the use of proper English sentences
I'll agree with this. Because you're writing something in an informal context on the Internet is no reason to get all loopy with your spelling and your grammar. Having said that, I gave up being a grammar nazi a long time ago because life's just too short. (I do occasionally point something out if it results in some kind of double entendre that amuses me.)
Quote:
That degrades us all, as human beings.
You're being hyperbolic I hope. I personally use the smilies for entertainment value. Although sometimes in the wrong hands they can devolve into stupidity, I can't make a case for "degrading." If it's that bad for you I can't see how you can stand to continue reading The Cellar. (Unless, that is, you're just into degradation. In which case, have fun. )
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 02:41 PM   #8
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret88
maybe I just haven't figured out how to express sarcasm correctly without the use of nonverbal "language."
This isn't a problem for me, as I never overtly indicate the use of sarcasm (neither on the internet nor in-real-life). I prefer a dry presentation in which the meaning is left up to the wits of the listener/reader. To me, over-presentation of sarcasm ruins the joke.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:50 PM   #9
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
even though you seem to choose not to use smilies, you make use of an even more annoying method of emphasis (text color) in an attempt to make your point
Yes, I make use of bold print and italics to indicate verbal tone. And, yes, I also occasionally make use of color/size formatting to call attention to key points/phrases. I developed that habit as a system administrator, a position in which clear and specific communication with my users is crucial.

I will take note of the fact that you are annoyed by text formatting, but no changes to my posting style are planned at this time.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:59 PM   #10
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

This one time? SteveDallas was a grammar Nazi with me. Remember that, SD? Ya old lady, ya.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:22 PM   #11
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
For that matter, where does punctuation fit in?
Punctuation is a part of the English language.

Quote:
I can't make a case for "degrading."
My point was regarding an atrophy of the ability to express genuine emotion through the written word, due to the quick fix of a cheap substitute. This would be a negative trend for humanity. (We are already sending top executives back to basic grammar classes, because they can't compose an e-mail without using chat-speak.)

Quote:
If it's that bad for you I can't see how you can stand to continue reading The Cellar.
Who said anything was "bad" for me? Why do we have to slap value judgments on everything?

Old 04-17-2006, 03:24 PM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Why do we have to slap value judgments on everything?
Coz deep down, we all want to be 'right'?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:19 PM   #13
marichiko

Quote:

Who said anything was "bad" for me? Why do we have to slap value judgments on everything?
Ahem.

You did. Yes, YOU! - There in the last row, smirking with your gang banger wanna be buddies. And I quote:

Quote:
I favor the Con position, that is, people would be better served by the use of proper English sentences than by pre-packaged imitations of human emotion. Do poets not express emotion through words?

Regarding the tendency of people to mask their true emotions, or purposefully express false emotions, this will occur both in real life and on the Internet, however, it shouldn't’t be as easy as clicking a fake emotion-button. That degrades us all, as human beings.
Saying that something "degrades us all as human beings" is making a value judgment and a negative one, at that - unless you consider it a good thing for human beings to degrade themselves.

This is not a poetry forum. It is a message board. At times, people have posted creative works or essays here. I have done so myself, and our esteemed tw is a master of the political essay.

But most of what goes on here is a form of communication between posters. We are not writing works of literature or even technical reports. We are responding to the comments others have made.

In normal human communication, a great deal of what goes on is non verbal. I have never liked talking about serious matters on the telephone, for example, because I want to look the other person in the eye. see what their body posture is, etc.

But even on the telephone, one can hear much just from the person's tone of voice. Is it hesitant. teasing, a whisper, or a scream?

Many message boards or chat groups consider posting in all caps to be the equivalent of yelling at someone. It is a small step from posting in all caps to adding an angry emoticon at the end of your message.

I might equally argue that posting in bold or colored print is a cheap way out and that a good writer should be able to make herself understood without resorting to such subterfuge.

Still, as you have implied earlier, a writer must gear his writing to his audience. If the audience consists of a bunch of high school drop outs with the attention span of a fly, an eloquently worded e-mail in the style of Tolstoy will have little impact on them.

On a message board, the participants are taking part in the new art of written conversation. We can't hear the nuance of the words, and our readers are similarly at loss to hear the inflection in which we respond, thus the emoticon.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:26 PM   #14
Flint
Snowflake

I can't imagine being convinced that italics are of less communicative value than animated cartoon faces. Am I to believe that every person posting the same SMILIE has experienced an identical emotion, or, that they have the desire to express an identical emotion? I find SMILIES to be counter-productive to substantive communication.

Old 04-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #15
Flint
Snowflake

Do you understand what I mean?