The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 05-08-2006, 09:49 AM   #61
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

My hardware setup is turntable to preamp to rca stereo cable to stereo miniplug to audio card. As zippy said, you can use a stereo for the preamp, but I didn't have any that I wanted to move around, and the preamp cost $30 at best buy.

I use Wave Corrector to record, de-click, and normalize. Wave Corrector does a good job of automatic click removal, but no software will get everything. Wave Corrector has additional tools to allow you to finish up by hand. The documentation will tell you everything else you need to know.

Before you start recording, go into the windows sound dialog and go to the setup for recording [In the properties dialog]. Uncheck everything except for the line-in. That way you won't end up recording the other boops and beeps that your computer makes.

One more thing. De-clicking can take quite a bit of time to do. Plus, with home equipment, there is no way to do as good a job as the record companies can do. So before you knock yourself out, see if your local library has a cd of the album you're looking to convert.

Last edited by dar512; 05-08-2006 at 09:55 AM.
dar512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:31 AM   #62
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This is one of the times we discussed this.

Oh, here's another one.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 05-08-2006 at 10:35 AM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 10:46 AM   #63
mrnoodle
bent

I miss old vinyl. The last couple of posts just brought back some cool memories. Me and my brother used to play my parents' old 45's and 78s (they might have actually been my sister's, but the songs were from my parents' era). I can't believe we were ever that innocent -- we could actually spend hours in the basement, sitting on the floor and listening to music.

I distinctly remember an album of Chet Atkins, Floyd Cramer, and Danny Davis all playing together. Didn't care for the trumpet, but I thought Chet and Floyd were the best. Now I have Last Date running a loop through my head.

/threadjack

my dad used to hitchhike from his Navy base in...Corpus Christie? to home and back.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:30 PM   #64
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Yeah, service men used to do a lot of hitchhiking, in uniform, and were almost assured of plenty of rides. I picked them up, all the time.

I remember picking up a sailor in MA, in a torrential downpour, and for twenty minutes he apologized for being wet. I finally had to shut him up by saying, I picked you up in the pouring rain, don't you think I knew you were wet?