The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 07-26-2010, 03:46 PM   #106
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I second pooka's post.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:48 PM   #107
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Sorry Jinx. I know how effed up this type of thing can be.
All I can offer at the moment is to try and let the dust settle a bit and not make any rash decisions just yet. Let the dust settle...
Old 07-26-2010, 03:59 PM   #108
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
He knows how to diet. He knows how to manage money. He understands the consequences of not doing these things.

The problem isn't overeating, or overspending. The problems are dishonesty, sneakiness, the need to be getting away with something, the need to be destructive. This is what he needs help with. This is what I can't understand and don't want to be around anymore.

I find out something fucked up, somehow, not from him, and I confront him with it. He makes excuses, apologies, promises.... says anything he thinks I want to hear to make it go away. Doesn't mean any of it, just keeps on doing, until the next fucked up thing pops up. These things become a pattern of behavior on top of the actual issue of the moment - but that's on me. That makes me unforgiving.

He knows the things he does are wrong so he hides them from me. If I don't ask direct and specific questions, I'll never find out, and it's all good in his mind. Over and over and over again for years and years and years. He's even recruited friends to hide things from me.

It's all on me, but it's all hidden from me so I can't really do anything about it. And now the trust and our marriage is all on me. He even told the kids that - that he doesn't want to split up, that it's all my decision.

I don't know what to do. I feel like I'm screwed either way.
that's all true.

I will change.

I'm sorry about what I said to the kids. I told them that as soon as you were ready to let me back in, I was there. I did not think of the position it puts you in with them. I was trying to assure them that I was working hard to get back with you. mea culpa.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:20 PM   #109
glatt

It's not all on you, jinx.

I don't have any sage advice for you guys, but I'm rooting for you both.

There's got to be a middle way. People generally lie when they are trying to avoid "punishment" for something. They don't want to get in trouble, so they lie to avoid it. Take away the punishment, and you take away the motivation for lying. At the same time, structuring your lives differently so that the bad behavior is less of an option should reduce incidents of it. If it's money, taking control of the finances. If it's something else, there may be other things you guys can do.

Of course, saying to him he won't get in trouble when he's doing whatever he's doing assumes that the behavior is something you can live with when it does happen. If the bad behavior is a deal breaker, then it's not going to work.

I'm on the outside, so I have no idea what you guys are dealing with. But you can probably find a middle way if you look for it.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:22 PM   #110
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I feel very bad about this whole thread.

I wanted to share my failure so I could identify what I've done wrong, and work on fixing it. I did not intend to position jinx in a way that this is all her fault for throwing me out.... which is how it seems. I did not intend to use the kids to pressure her. not consciously... that's horrible.

I need to stop posting in this thread now. I just keep doing more damage to a very fragile thing.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:31 PM   #111
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

That's not the impression that I got. What Jinx added (and thank you, Jinx, as we all gain from it) is pretty much what I assumed, after hearing your story of it. It never seemed all on her. It seemed, and it still seems, like the kind of dance that all deep relationships go through.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:36 PM   #112
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

I agree with UT.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:41 PM   #113
lookout123
changed his status to single

Iagree with UT. This may also be a great place to put [/thread] at least temporarily.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:47 PM   #114
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

They both are in a very difficult place right now, but on opposite ends of the spectrum. As a wife and mother who is laying down the law to protect herself and her children, Jinx's position is extremely challenging. Her position is righteous but also wrought with guilt. My mother did the same thing.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #115
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

I agree with UT. I never took it in any way that LJ was putting it on Jinx... more that he was confessing his short comings and wanting to correct the problems he has and has created... and most importantly his desire to repair the relationship.

I think most of us have been there... on both sides. But most importantly we are all here supporting you both... as individuals and as a couple.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #116
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

I sense the LJ and Pooka need to take this private.
In any case, I won't be reading this thread any more.
Best wishes to both and their family.
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:35 PM   #117
Pooka
Your Invisible Rabbit Friend

I think you meant LJ and Jinx... I am married to Flint and we are all good for the now... thank you though.
Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #118
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
That's not the impression that I got. What Jinx added (and thank you, Jinx, as we all gain from it) is pretty much what I assumed, after hearing your story of it. It never seemed all on her. It seemed, and it still seems, like the kind of dance that all deep relationships go through.
What he said.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #119
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
It's not all on you, jinx.

There's got to be a middle way. People generally lie when they are trying to avoid "punishment" for something. They don't want to get in trouble, so they lie to avoid it. Take away the punishment, and you take away the motivation for lying. At the same time, structuring your lives differently so that the bad behavior is less of an option should reduce incidents of it. If it's money, taking control of the finances. If it's something else, there may be other things you guys can do.

Of course, saying to him he won't get in trouble when he's doing whatever he's doing assumes that the behavior is something you can live with when it does happen. If the bad behavior is a deal breaker, then it's not going to work.

I'm on the outside, so I have no idea what you guys are dealing with. But you can probably find a middle way if you look for it.
Thanks glatt. A middle way would be good.
Right now, from my perspective, Jim does want to be in trouble. He wants me to act like a mom to him. We've discussed this, and that I'm not into it several times.

Any action can, and has been, taken to the deal breaker level if one tries hard enough - that's the reason I stepped in to steer the help towards the problem and not the specific actions. I'd like to figure out the motivation for the deal breaking shit. The obvious one is that one wants out of the relationship. If that's not it, then what?
Old 07-26-2010, 06:45 PM   #120
jinx
Come on, cat.

And I'm sorry, I'm not normally a 'dirty laundry' type person. It makes me uncomfortable too.