The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

View Poll Results: Dish or Cable?
Dish all the way baby! 7 41.18%
No way, Cable rules! 10 58.82%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-12-2004, 09:35 PM   #1
Razorfish
Superhero

POLL: Dish vs. Cable

Related to this thread, Which do you think is truly the superior choice? I have cable via Cox service and I prefer it over the Directv service I once had.

Cable Pros: [list=1][*]Great reception. I know those stories of losing satellite signal every three minutes are mostly exaggerations but I've experienced far fewer outages with cable than with a dish.[*]Installation: No $200 install fee and the digital cable box is worked into the bill and you pay for it over a one year period.[*]The "Digital Suite" I get gives me broadband internet, digital phone, and digital cable for cheaper than all three separately.[*]I've also heard the stories of putting the dish on a pole in a bucket filled with concrete. Screw that, cable took minutes to set up.[*]Cox has recently added HDTV support with 10 HDTV channels and more to come.[/list=1]

Cable Cons: [list=1][*]Not available in all areas (even some areas that are supposedly in the Cox region of service).[*]Cable box does not have a component video or audio hookup. This can be a bummer for some people.[*]Cox's service is not compatible with Tivo. This is probably a big bummer with some people here.[/list=1]
Old 03-12-2004, 09:46 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Comcast here in the City of Philadelphia is okay--we are apparently losing out on some channels that the suburbs get, like Turner Classic Movies. I pay $75 a month for digital plus 900 HBO channels. Comcast is being a bitch about allowing dish to have SportsNet (which shows all the sports teams' games)...until they relent on that, I won't switch to dish.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 12:41 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The draconian rules of the apartment complex I live in do not permit dish installation (even in a movable tub of cement).

I'm quite happy with comcast, though.

Good channel selection, and I think I've had MAYBE two service interruptions in the couple of years I've had them.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 06:45 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Heh, we don't use either and its free.
Old 03-13-2004, 07:26 AM   #5
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
The draconian rules of the apartment complex I live in do not permit dish installation (even in a movable tub of cement).
I don't know if this applies to you, or if it would be worth the enmity of the rulemakers, but I thought you may like to know.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:13 AM   #6
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

To be fair, I switched to Dish Network (and later to DirecTV, which I have now) before the days of digital cable. But cable sucked. The picture quality (especially on local channels) was bad, when there was a problem and it was rarely fixed in less than three service calls. While it is true that you had to lay out a fair amount of cash for starters in the olden days, with the promotions they run now I'd advise anybody considering it to check out what kind of deal you get. You probably won't have to pay close to $200 unless you're doing something really exotic. (I paid $20 for my DirecTV with Tivo receiver, including installation.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 08:27 AM   #7
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Happy Monkey
I don't know if this applies to you, or if it would be worth the enmity of the rulemakers, but I thought you may like to know.
Interesting information ... but technically I don't have a "balcony". It's a two floor townhome with a patio area in the back, but no balcony.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2004, 11:02 AM   #8
elSicomoro

My complex allows dish installation on the balcony, with written permission.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:11 PM   #9
blue
Operations Operative

Got dish with standard package, 30 some music channels and MN locals (8 channels), think it costs about $38 month, with built in TIVO type stuff, almost NO outages once I moved it to peak of house, not a bad setup, plus we can't get cable.

Wolf, DAMN, you need to get out of that apartment, sounds almost like prison based on some of your posts.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:03 PM   #10
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

DIRECT TV ALL THE WAY FOR ME !!! I meen where else do you get IFC and Samuri saterdays where they show ALL those OLDSCHOOL black and white subtitled Samuri movies ???
Old 03-13-2004, 03:08 PM   #11
elSicomoro

IFC is another channel we don't get on digital cable...Goddamnit.
Old 03-13-2004, 03:58 PM   #12
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Your Loss dude
They come up with some WILD flicks some time .
Ever seen GoastDog , way of the Samuri ????
Old 03-13-2004, 06:46 PM   #13
warch
lurkin old school

Cable was spatting with foxsports and we'd had enough. Sports is the only thing the Mr. watches. Direct TV all the way and NHL Center ice. They offered a deal during the cable spat. 2 years later and happy as clams. $15 cheaper a month, no jumping shifting fees and more good choices- I dig getting IFC- I'm fond of Dinner for 5, and BBCA- The Office. Only once did we lose reception from a wicked storm and it was about 1 minute's worth. We dont do the dsl stuff so maybe that makes a better case for cable...
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 12:06 PM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

This would have to be a black mark against satellite!

(I'm sure no sub-contracted cable installer ever did anything bad on a cable install.)
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2004, 09:45 PM   #15
Razorfish
Superhero

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore
IFC is another channel we don't get on digital cable...Goddamnit.
I'm not sure what company covers your area but the one in my area (Cox) does have IFC. It also has Turner Classic Movies as well as some of the smallers networks like Much Music and Game with no additional charge.