The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 04-30-2011, 07:23 AM   #76
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Bullshit. It is only one side. What are the expenditures? You don't do tax returns do you?
Quote:
Just saying it is a big world out there with lots of moving parts and not a swinging dick on this Forum is in the know enough to be able to authenticate the big picture.
Heed your own words.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:36 AM   #77
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
lol sam, but yeah, oil exploration has its downfalls only we as humans need it. the oil that is. it is what drives our economy unfortunately. just sayin. the cost of transportation of consumer goods dictates partly the cost charged to the consumer. (i'm a little brunk rigtht now so i ain't slammin ya) so in short, if oil were to come down in price then consumer products could or should come down in price. the city of houston just started lay offs today or yesterday. don't remember. either way, less cops (ok i can handle that one, sorry sarge) less collectors, less government workers. what does that equate? more people looking for jobs. more unemployment. worse economy. oil has GOT to do something or we are truly FUCKED.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plthijinx View Post
double posting. am i the only one that sees this or am i ignorant?
Not sure what you mean about about "oil (doing) something." Maybe I'M the ignorant one. If you're saying the petroleum companies should lower oil prices, I couldn't agree more.

Other than Merc, who must be fabulously wealthy, everyone here and most everyone in the US has been hard hit by the downturn in the economy and upturn in oil. Some sites I visit are calling the elephant in the national living room, "The Great Recession."

This "swinging chick" can only give you a mouse's eye view of things, but from what I read, there are many of us mice in the same position. Jobs in Cortez have tanked - even with the ever popular tourist season coming up. In addition, state cuts to the food stamp program (SNAP) have made life even harder if you are out of work and have a family - or even if you're just out of work.

Increases in gas costs will cause more people to stay at home and fewer tourist dollars flowing into Cortez. A disaster because this town pretty much lives and dies by the tourist.

Merc can lobby for Exxon et al all he pleases (he's GOT to own petroleum stock!), but the fact remains, higher gas prices are only going to make a bad economy worse. And THEN what will happen to Starbucks, eh?
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:58 AM   #78
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Oil is a resource that is getting harder and more expensive to locate, extract and process. Much of the "light, sweet crude" has been used up.

An American geologist, M. King Hubbert, predicted in 1956 that United States oil production would peak between 1965 and 1970 - and he was correct. The same technique has been used to predict that world oil production would peak somewhere around now. The peak doesn't mean that the world is out of oil - just that it becomes harder and harder (and more expensive) to extract the oil that's left in the ground.

Peak oil isn't a new idea. There's even a society dedicated to researching peak oil (see ASPO: a network of scientists and others, having an interest in determining the date and impact of the peak and decline of the world's production of oil and gas, due to resource constraints. http://www.peakoil.net/).

We won't know if we've reached the peak until a few years after we've passed it. It's best to start preparing now.

Somehow the rest of the world survives on much higher oil prices.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:30 AM   #79
SamIam

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
Somehow the rest of the world survives on much higher oil prices.
Much of the rest of the world has more reasonable public transportation than we do. The rail system in Europe is outstanding.

Latin American countries possess large fleets of funky old buses which usually can get you to your destination unless you have a head-on with a farm cart.

I don't know about you Aussies except that you tend to have vast spaces to cover - just like we do. Can a person get by reasonably without a car in a smaller Australian town? So how DO you guys do it?

Re Peak Oil: I think most folks have at least heard of this concept. I am quite in agreement with you on that subject. We need to be doing more in regard to alternative energy resources. I hope the US wakes up to reality before lack of oil flushes us down the old poop shoot.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #80
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
My Subaru wants 95 octane...
Don't cave in to your Subaru's demands, it's a slippery slope. The next thing you know you'll be changing the oil, putting new spark plugs in (probably wires too) and replacing tires when they get smooth.

You need to show that car who's boss.

Disclaimer: I am not an auto mechanic or Motor Vehicle Inspection official.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:58 AM   #81
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

As Sheik Ahmed Zaki Yamani, the Saudi oil minister during the 1970's, said, ''The Stone Age didn't end for lack of stone, and the oil age will end long before the world runs out of oil.''

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:03 PM   #82
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
We all get just bits of it and have to do the best we can with what we can gather on our own. I don't trust anyone who thinks they have all the answers, because I sure the hell do not.
I don't trust anyone who repeatedly posts while ignoring obvious facts.

Buy ten gallons of gas. How many of those ten gallons actually move the car? A little over one. Why burn well over 8 of every ten gallons as waste heat and noise? Because gasoline at $10 per gallon is that cheap. And because those who obstruct innovation do so to maximize personal profits or a political agenda. Do not use intelligence that requires an education and ... "did you see those numbers?" Most do not.

The 70 Hp/liter engine was ready for production in GM in 1975. Why was it not standard even in 2010 GM cars? Because oil has always been that ridiculously cheap even when people were embarrassingly worrying about $2 per gallon gasoline. And because "drill baby drill" (and other soundbytes) is easier for the most naive to understand. After all, Barbie told them, "Math is hard." So eyes glaze over.

The solutions always start by doing more with less. Always. But that is not what extremists want. Extremists would rather invent unjustified wars to get "our" oil rather than be educated. An educated person starts by noting cars that get no better gas mileage than 1960 cars. Even weigh less and still got no better mileage. Because oil has always been so ridiculously cheap.

When will the price of oil rise to reflect its real value? When major shortages finally exist. Grandkids will finally realize how dumb their grandparents were in 2011. How so many could be so manipulated by lies such as "drill baby drill" rather than facts that make productive and healthy societies - innovation. Education that would make Rush Limbaugh a "persona non grata".

Unfortunately too many hype lies and spin about “More Oil!” rather than deal with a reality. Near zero innovation for the past 30 years. GM is a benchmark trophy of that problem that Limbaugh, et al encourage. There is no shortage of oil. There is a shortage of innovation and too much "knowledge" provided by a political agenda.

Need we mention another trophy of that stupidity? Ethanol.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:52 AM   #83
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Bullshit. It is only one side. What are the expenditures? You don't do tax returns do you?
Revenue minus expenditures is profit.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 10:58 AM   #84
monster
I hear them call the tide

Gas went up 30c here over the weekend, 50c since last Monday. So I'm thinking $6 gas by maybe Friday?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:30 PM   #85
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

yay! (i hope)

Quote:
“We have the slow bleed that is occurring now thanks to the massive drops in crude oil and slightly less impressive drops in gasoline last week in the world markets,” Kloza said. “If high water doesn’t knock out any refinery capacity, we could see gasoline drop another 20 to 40 cents per gallon or so, once plants are restored and fear is in the rear view mirror.”
from here

and Sam, what i mean by oil doing something is the price of a barrel must come down. oil drives the economy. the oil companies are getting phat while we, the consumer are starving. i've had to go back to ramen noodles at work. why? because it costs me $20 round trip to drive to work and home. 5 days a week? $100. try that at $10 bucks an hour. it truly sucks. back in the day when i made $40 an hour i wouldn't have let it bother me so much. but when, now, after paying my bills i have no more than $30 to my name on payday......
Old 05-09-2011, 12:35 PM   #86
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

gas has dropped here 6 cents a gallon over the weekend. do you think the analysts are correct with their prediction of a 50cent drop over the next 30 days??
Old 05-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #87
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

GAWD i hope so. i can only imagine what it costs your city, or any for that matter, to operate their fleet in a month or let alone a week.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:52 PM   #88
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
gas has dropped here 6 cents a gallon over the weekend. do you think the analysts are correct with their prediction of a 50cent drop over the next 30 days??
No. I believe they will trot out the usual excuses for not dropping the price after being all too willing to raise it. It's the summer driving season, demand is up, costs are now higher...etc etc etc ad nauseum.

If the price of a barrel of oil foes up so much as a nickel, the price of gas goes up a dime overnight. When the price of that same barrel of oil goes down a nickel, the price of gas either stays the same or only goes down a fraction of how much it went up. Fifty cents a gallon drop? I don't see it happening.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:55 PM   #89
monster
I hear them call the tide

So apparently nowhere has variations like here? We gained over 50c in a week, then dropped 30c in two days......
Old 05-09-2011, 10:23 PM   #90
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

We're paying $3.73 a gallon in my area