The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-11-2014, 01:46 AM   #46
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
Joining very late, with only a thought about Europeans and others despising North Americans ... yes, they do. Justified or not, they do. When in Canada, my son's Chinese friends were not allowed to visit/hang out with him because we were white NAms. And my MIL despised me as a NAm until the day she died.

I think every nation, every population with a sense of identity, sooner or later despises those who are 'other'. No actual knowledge is required. It's a hardwired human tendency. Some of us think we should try to rewire. It's not a job for the faint of heart.
How does the attitude of your son's Chinese friends having a problem with him as a white North American stand as proof of Europeans despising North Americans?

Sorry - but that just wouldn't happen with a European or Brit. you've just lumped us all together as 'Europeans and others' and then offered a highly culturally specific example of Chinese racism. Chinese people in the UK are notoriously cliquey.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #47
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
My opinion is that the world is full of exceptionally stupid people. Even the US doesn't hold the patent on that formula.

Human populations ebb and flow. America is on the far side of its golden years. Cling to it if you must. Or embrace the rise of new world domination. Whatever floats your boat. I'll just hang about here being a dumb Aussie.
Right Said Ali

Right said Ali
I'll just hang about being Aussie
While human populations ebb and flow
America's past its prime. new world domination's on the rise
The world is full of exceptionally stupid people
And so
We'll have another cupcake

Right said Ali
I'll just hang about being Aussie
While human populations ebb and flow
Cling to it if you must, whatever floats your boat
The US doesn't hold the patent
And so
We'll have another cupcake ...
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 06:31 PM   #48
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
How does the attitude of your son's Chinese friends having a problem with him as a white North American stand as proof of Europeans despising North Americans?

Sorry - but that just wouldn't happen with a European or Brit. you've just lumped us all together as 'Europeans and others' and then offered a highly culturally specific example of Chinese racism. Chinese people in the UK are notoriously cliquey.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. The example of my son's Chinese friends wasn't meant to say anything about Europeans. My MIL was European (south, Mediterranean) and she despised NAms. It was common in her ethnic/cultural community. However, I've never met a Brit who looked down on North Americans.

All of that means little to nothing anyway; it's just one person's experience. I didn't mean to offend you, Dani. You're an inspiration when it comes to reason and nonjudgmental ethos.