The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Relationships
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Relationships People who need people; or, why can't we all just get along?

Old 02-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #31
wolf
lobber of scimitars

jujuwhite, my thoughts and prayers are with you, your Dad, and the rest of your family. I hope for the best possible outcome.

momwolf had several caths over the years, and finally decided she wasn't going to have another. I supported her in that decision, because the diagnostic/treatment value was far less than the risk involved for her. She had had a quintuple cardiac bypass back before they were cool (mid 1980s) and common. She chugged along quite well for many years, though.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 12:47 PM   #32
Pie
Gone and done

Yah, we turned down a cardiac cath for my dad on the day before he died. Fat lot of good it would have done him.

Juju, sweetie, don't run yourself absolutely ragged. Hang in there.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #33
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

Latest update... I brought dad home from the hospital today and he was in really good spirits acting his usual chipper complaining self! He tries to come off like a disgruntled old man but in the end of cussing out the nurses he will sweetly smile at them, kiss their hand, and tell em thanks for all the patience! The nurse will realize at that very moment that he is a big softy and melt.

It was a hard day however, because the hospital sent in a social worker at the last moment trying to convince dad why he and mom should go to the nursing home since they were both in wheelchairs and disabled. Dad said some very hurtful things to me, or rather about me to the social worker and I must admit it was very difficult not to take it personally but after talking to capn I got over it. He made me realize that sometimes you hurt the ones you love the most.

Hopefully they can start hospice soon to help out with some of the care of him. We'll see day by day.
Old 02-26-2010, 03:12 PM   #34
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Hospice for Juju's Dad. It is done.
Old 02-27-2010, 04:06 AM   #35
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Juju - my mum said some very hurtful things to me, too, in her last months. Please understand that it is the illness, or an effect of the illness and discomfort, speaking.
I'm thinking of you and your family at this difficult time.
Old 02-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #36
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Hospice is both wonderful and suckful at the same time. They do support both the patient and the family very well. I hope your experience is as positive as mine.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 01:56 AM   #37
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Ho Spice! Wasn't she one of the original Spice Girls? (industry joke)

Seriously though, I convinced my dad that hospice was the way to go when he was dying of cancer last year. It made the best of a bad situation and he died with minimal discomfort. I work in the healthcare industry and have shared patient care responsibility with several hospice organizations. While their performances are not all equal, by and large they do good work; so, you did too.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:25 AM   #38
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

My boss owns several Hospices, and I used to work with them before I started butlering his house. It was rewarding work but I don't really miss it. The Hospice that is caring for Juju's Dad, coincidentally, is owned by my boss.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:32 PM   #39
jujuwwhite
Capnhowdy's #1 smasher

It's really amazing but Dad seems to have a real peace about him since Hospice came in. I'm glad for it because it helps ease the sadness that one day really soon, I will be loosing the only man (besides capnhowdy) that has ever treated me worth shit!

I have a tattoo on my left arm just above my birth mark. The tattoo is music notes and the words 'daddy's girl' Dad gave me my love of music and I will dearly miss our 'jam sessions' when it was just the two of us playing and singing.

I will miss my dad and sometimes this all seems so surreal. Anyway, thanks again guys for all your support.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #40
Pie
Gone and done

Enjoy what time you still have with him, even if it's just sitting in the same room while he sleeps.
Best wishes for you, Cap'n and your mom, Juju.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #41
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Pie's advice is sound. Take your knitting (or equivalent) and just be there ...
Old 03-10-2010, 08:17 AM   #42
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Hospice will deliver the hospital bed and new oxegen equipment etc. today. They have also assigned a worker to do some housework 1 hr a day 5 days a week. Pop is in good spirits. I respect him in that he hasn't whined a lick. And has hosted no pity parties.

I'm gonna miss that dude.