The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 12-27-2009, 07:16 AM   #1
chrisinhouston
Professor

New travel security measures looking grim.

Well, I'm sure there will be more changes coming in light of the Nigerian who had some kind of bomb in his underwear but from what I'm hearing this morning, I hope me and the Mrs. don't need to go overseas until things settle down. From several websites I have learned:

1. Domestic flights of 90 minutes or less, no one gets up, period.
2. International flights, no one gets up for the last hour and nothing on your lap (not sure if this includes reading material).
3. Longer security lines, more intense personal screenings and plenty of re-screenings (esp. carry-ons) at the gates.
4. International flight passengers only allowed one carry-on of any kind. not sure if this means one as in a coat is a carry-on or not counted or what. This sucks for photographers like me with long lenses.
5. Many more missed connections due to increased security. For instance, I used to think a 2 hour layover at a connection was enough time to get off of my plane and get to the next gate for domestic and 3 hours for international but maybe not anymore.
6. Several airlines have shut down all in flight entertainment systems on international flights which sucks on a very long flight and especially if they restrict carry-ons like reading materials.

On the bright side, it could mean more travel specials to entice people to travel and more airlines like my main one, Continental, doing double frequent flyer qualifying miles offers.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:40 AM   #2
chrisinhouston
Professor

This will be the outfit required for air travel in the not to far off future i fear.
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

For connecting flights ... since you were screened to get on the first plane, there should be a secure way of getting you to the next without having to go through security again.

I don't think the not getting up thing will work. Lotta small bladders on them planes.

Perhaps some arrangement involving individual travel capsules that include a complimentary beverage, bag of non-peanut trail mix, and a bedpan?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 12:56 PM   #4
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

It all comes down to how much comfort and personal freedom one is willing to give up for security. The Israelis and the British have been having this internal debate for decades.

Before 9/11, the worst domestic act of terrorism was by Timothy McVeigh. While later there were allegations of missed signals, there really wasn't a lot that could have been done to prevent the attack.

It's possible that turning all planes into "Con-Air" may save 150 lives at some point. Wearing seat belts and strictly enforcing the speed limits on roads could save tens of thousands every year. But we have learned how to deal with the risk associated with being in a car, and are happy stretching the rules.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 01:48 PM   #5
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
For connecting flights ... since you were screened to get on the first plane, there should be a secure way of getting you to the next without having to go through security again.

I don't think the not getting up thing will work. Lotta small bladders on them planes.

Perhaps some arrangement involving individual travel capsules that include a complimentary beverage, bag of non-peanut trail mix, and a bedpan?
It will depend on the airport and whether you are flying domestic or international. Currently most domestic flights connecting in most major US airports allow you to stay in the secure area for changing gates or even terminals (such as Atlanta of Houston). But I believe that all international flights entering the USA whether within the secure area or not require passengers to be re-screened upon entry because the TSA does not trust other nations security screening for the initial flights to the USA. And, it used to be that in Newark you had to go out of security and then come back in which made bringing duty free liquor not possible unless you could get it into your checked luggage as you go to customs and then recheck it for your connecting flight, but I believe Newark was doing some remodeling to correct this.

As for getting up during a flight, first and business class flight attendants have always been a little more lenient for those passengers needing to go to the head or grab their laptop out of their overhead before the 10,000 ft elevation is reached or pior to landing for that matter. That may change. On international flights that I take that often arrive in morning, I usually try to make a jump for the toilet just before the crew starts the wake up routine as the toilets are cleaner and the lines are short. Those that wait until after breakfast is served usually have long waits.
Old 12-27-2009, 01:55 PM   #6
chrisinhouston
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
It all comes down to how much comfort and personal freedom one is willing to give up for security. The Israelis and the British have been having this internal debate for decades.
I agree, but I feel that sometimes the head honchos at the TSA just don't get it. From what I've read, this would be bomber was seated for the last hour of the flight, so the new seating rule is just to keep the asiles clear for the flight attendant to keep and eye on, I guess. And the new rules of only one carry on on international flights is probably just being implemented to speed up the gate screening process.

My frustration with a one item carry on rule is that as a photographer it is hard to get all my gear into one bag and still have things for the comfort of the journey or even a laptop.

I just think the TSA startles too easily. First the shoe bomber so everyone has to have shoes scanned, even flip flop sandals. What's it going to be next, no underwear?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:02 PM   #7
monster
I hear them call the tide

I agree, it's closing the gate after the horse has bolted, as always. By welding it -and all other items with a potential to open within a ten mile radius (including emergency exits, toilet lids and envelopes)- firmly shut.

(1) Suspend/desk all staff invovled in the security of this flight
(2) find out how nutjob was missed by security checks
(3) correct that error
(4) see if there are logical and worthwhile extrapolations that can be made from that error correction to improve general nutter detection
Old 12-27-2009, 07:47 PM   #8
glatt

The TSA screwed up and is trying to use its one weapon, fear mongering, to try to shift attention elsewhere. The TSA doesn't do squat to make anyone safer. It's all theater. Passengers looking out for one another and locked cockpit doors do.

Why are airplanes so special anyway? If a terrorist kills me in a walmart, or on a bus, or a plane, it's all the same. Why don't we have to take off our shoes to go into a walmart? Seems very arbitrary.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 08:23 PM   #9
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

I'm not sure what their trying to do anyway. Its too late to do anything about this particular instance and this guy was NOT checked by US TSA staff - they came from overseas. The TSA has no control over passengers checked in other countries. Perhaps they could address that issue instead of checking my friggin sandals.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:17 PM   #10
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
The TSA screwed up and is trying to use its one weapon, fear mongering, to try to shift attention elsewhere. The TSA doesn't do squat to make anyone safer. It's all theater. Passengers looking out for one another and locked cockpit doors do.

Why are airplanes so special anyway? If a terrorist kills me in a walmart, or on a bus, or a plane, it's all the same. Why don't we have to take off our shoes to go into a walmart? Seems very arbitrary.
Because Walmart hasn't killed my sister on 9/11 yet.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Just make all incoming flights from foreign countries layover in Guantanamo for re-screening.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 11:33 PM   #12
lookout123
changed his status to single

Or just allow licensed CCW on planes.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Or just allow licensed CCW on planes.
Shush! You might address the problem.

Fear mongering in politics; they took it to new levels over the last decade and we can only expect much much more. Maybe a political party whose motto is "Chillax, the American people will muddle through." would have a chance next time around.
Old 12-28-2009, 08:59 AM   #14
chrisinhouston
Professor

In the end it comes down to risk, we all live with some level of it every day. When I drive my car I am at risk of having an accident or getting hit by a drunk driver (which is not uncommon in Houston) and since I drive a Land Rover, I am at risk that it will just break down at the most inconvenient time or place!

That being said, air travel is still the safest mode of travel based on the numbers of people who use it every day and the number of miles traveled world wide. The risk is the lowest.

I've read several online news sources today and as expected the changes in security are big in the news. But here are a couple of things I find amusing:

1.Many airports have gone back to searching vehicles as they enter the airport area even though no such threat of this type has happened, as in a bomb in a vehicle.
2. Most flights have turned off all in flight entertainment and no showing of the plane's location on a map yet passengers are free to look out the windows at landmarks, and check their watches to ascertain their whereabouts or they can even ask a flight attendant!
3.Some travelers reported that the flight attendants turned off the lights for the whole trip and served meals in darkness. How does darkness make us safer?
4. TSA reported today that they will pick up the cost of the additional screening as far as time and increased personnel and new machines that will no doubt be added at checkpoints but in reality there will be some new fees added to our ticket costs to pay for this, as in TAXES.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Because Walmart hasn't killed my sister on 9/11 yet.
I don't know, man. There's a lot of people in hijabs and kufis working the registers at mine. I expect that it will take out the Pep Boys next door at any minute.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote