The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 10-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #4741
Cloud

serves you right for reading the "upsetting" thread! gotta be prepared for it . . .
Old 10-28-2009, 07:09 AM   #4742
shoot
Smooth Ruffian

Im feeling very sad for Wolf. I know I dont post very much(.03 posts per week or something...)but I am a pretty heavy lurker and have been for a number of years. I try to keep up on the comings and goings around here without any real emotional attachment ya know? Almost like watching a soap opera that is real yet out of arms length. Well Wolf has always been my very favorite Cellarite and Ive known her mother has ill for quite some time but when I saw the thread title last night it really came as a shock. I am very familiar with death,it always seems to hang close to me Ive lost many people very close to me and over the years ive learned to shrug it off,so its really suprising I would find myself so affected by this,someone I dont even know. I know shes a very strong person and will come through this fine,Im sure its even quite a relief for her,but still losing a parent is a very tough one to take. This is whats upsetting me today.
shoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #4743
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Well said shoot. I too find myself strangely affected by the loss of someone I've never known. I have communicated with Wolf and shared much with her. She is a wonderful woman and I am lost to find or share some comfort for her. There is nothing I can do but reach out and let her know I'm here. Sadly, I feel that is so little an offering in a time of such great need. :'(
Old 10-28-2009, 04:59 PM   #4744
chrisinhouston
Professor

I'm rather upset because I had to drive up to Albuquerque to have my Land Rover looked at. I have had a small gear oil leak coming from my transfer case and it is getting worse. I had it topped off in Socorro after my drive from Texas and you can see the oil just seeping out and the rear undercarriage has this nasty greasy coating on it.

I got a rental car and got checked into the hotel that I am meeting my wife at tomorrow and the dealer called and said after cleaning up the case and test driving it they determined that 2 of the 3 seals are worn out and the whole thing needs to be removed, repaired and reinstalled. It's about an 8 hour job so it will cost me around $1000. Not much of a choice as I am returning to Texas on Saturday which is 900 miles and the thought of burning up the thing is not a good option.

Oh well, even with this issue I still love my car. Life goes on and it could have been worse I guess.
chrisinhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 05:09 PM   #4745
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Shoot and Classic, I'm the same.
I probably swear more on here than I ever do in real life. But that thread title came up in New Posts and said, "Fuck it!" out loud.

I've come back and posted happy things about today, because I have had a good day (and good days aren't always in supply). But it was in the back of my mind when I was walking to the shop, and back again, when I was cleaning Grandad's and when I stop thinking.

I felt the same when Bri got her cancer diagnosis and I thought we'd lose her. People online can be a bigger part of your life than I think some people appreciate.
Old 10-28-2009, 06:09 PM   #4746
Cloud

Holy Crap, Chris. Not good to be stuck in the desert!
Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM   #4747
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Not good to be stuck in the desert!
Tell that to people that run the Badwater ultra.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 06:17 PM   #4748
Cloud

also sad for mommies passing
Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #4749
Pie
Gone and done

Mommies and daddies... It's hard thinking you're next on the firing line.
Old 11-01-2009, 07:24 PM   #4750
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Went out this afternoon to find that the local scumbags left me rear tailgate glass on my Explorer smashed out with square steel tube shelf support about four feet long that was still in the back of the truck. For some reason, they chose not to actually, you know, *steal* anything.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #4751
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

If the price of recycled steel goes any higher, you may yet come out ahead!
Old 11-02-2009, 06:44 AM   #4752
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

More likely vandals than thieves. That sucks, man. Will your insurance cover it?
Old 11-02-2009, 05:33 PM   #4753
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Nope. My truck is 11 years old and has nearly a quarter million miles on the clock. However, it is sturdy, reliable and not even slightly rusty. But - I only carry liability, and that doesn't cover glass. My homeowners might cover it, but my deductible is higher than the replacement cost, which was $230, done on site by Safelite on two hours notice. Now, $230 is real money in my book, and I could have done a lot of things with that money, but it certainly could have been worse. It was almost certainly vandalism for Halloween (although I don't think we rated any tricks - we gave out huge handfuls of candy to everyone because we have so few trick or treaters, and we were open for business until Midnight).

All in all, this has been one Hell of a fucked up day. I had to deal with month end closing for starters. My boss likes to make it as challenging as possible. We used to have until 5:00 local time to close. Corporate changed that to Noon a few months ago. When they did that, for some totally inexplicable reason, my boss decided that it would also be a dandy idea to have a staff meeting on closing mornings, which means 30 to 45 minutes less than the four hours we now have instead of the nine we used to have.

I'm tough...I got through that with two minutes to spare. In the meantime, I had to line up the glass company, deal with the loan refinancing on the Grandview house, produce paperwork for the writeoff of over $40k worth of inventory caused by our going out of the fireplace business (three times, because the fireplace guy is a doofus and kept thinking of things he'd sold without posting them), cope with trying to get payroll done (a task made more challenging by the fact that we have a crew out of town who faxed in their completed work orders only to discover that the fax failed before completion), get funds for the staff lunch, and about fifty other things that had people standing in front of my desk every two minutes for three hours straight.

The piece' de resistance was when I stopped by the house on my way to TF's to pick up my computer, and Kaleigh ran down the stairs saying, "Oh, good, you're home! Call the gas company, they shut us off today even though we paid the bill over the automated system yesterday."

Fuck. So, twenty minutes on hold with them (while I listened to a song to which the lyrics, no shit, included the words "You're always calling me, always calling me..." set to a light R&B score. That's COLD) Well, come to find out, despite all of the technology available to corporations these days, it seems that, if you pay your bill via the automated system on one day, and your shutoff date is the next day, you have to call the company and tell them you paid it, give them your confirmation number, so that they'll call off the dude with the gas meter boot.

Now, call me cynical, but I know damn good and well that, if they didn't *want* this situation to exist, it wouldn't. Why does it exist? Because they charge you $45 to come and turn it back on, of course; a procedure that takes about ten minutes that is performed by a guy who probably does thirty of these things a day at a hard total cost of maybe $10 per house. So he costs the gas company $300, and rakes in $1350, leaving a net profit of over $1k per day.

What possible motivation would they have to fix a situation that makes them $1k a day for basically doing nothing? And what are you gonna do if you don't like it? Get a different gas company?

I plan to write a more lengthy treatise on why the Almighty Dollar is destroying society before too much longer. I'm no commie. I believe in Capitalism, but I don't believe that abandoning morality, common sense and humanity in pursuit of profit is a Capitalist tenet. In fact, they taught me that this was what the Commies did...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #4754
Cloud

felt crappy. weak, lightheaded, heart racing, sore neck.

it'll probably disappear once I get home from work. I hope
Old 11-02-2009, 05:49 PM   #4755
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Sorry you had a crappy day, Els. But hey, at least you know that if you're indispensable at work then they can never get away with laying you off, right?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
swiss