The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 10-31-2009, 03:55 PM   #1
mbpark
Lecturer

Thinkpads and Windows 7

I've been a very loyal Thinkpad user for years. I've either used them or Macs for work, with the exception of the Dell Latitude e6400 at my desk now. I am on my fifth Thinkpad (380D, 770Z, R31, T43, and now the new one).

I just got a Thinkpad T61 at work off of the "excess" pile since one of my old co-workers used it and then left. Since we're a Dell shop, it wasn't going to get circulated out to a customer. It's got 3GB RAM, a 160GB HD, DVD burner, and Nvidia graphics.

I loaded up Windows 7 32-bit on this laptop via a USB key. Within 30 minutes after installation (which took about 1 hour from within XP Pro) I had every driver loaded, Aero working, and all the patches. It took me a few hours to get TrueCrypt 6.3 running with full disk encryption (in my line of work, I have to use it!).

Lenovo knows how to make some really solid kick-ass hardware. Every time I use one of their machines, I am reminded of how easy it is to get the drivers set up and working. They even still have the 9x drivers for my 770X and 380D online. The machines also work really well under Linux, which I have run on 4 of the 5 (the T61 is strictly for work and the e6400 dual-boots Ubuntu 9.04 with TrueCrypt protecting Windows). The last time I used the 380D for work was late 2005, and it was as solid as ever, even running Windows 98 for an ancient DOS program.

Even though these machines are the anthesis of cheap, they are incredibly solid and I recommend them for anyone who needs reliable hardware. I've got my Dell at a desk, but I've got either a ThinkPad or MacBook on me to do my work.

I've used Toshiba, HP, Gateway, Acer, Sony, and Dell at various times throughout the years. I would not recommend Toshiba to anyone due to the fact that they cannot get their drivers right, and they like to use proprietary drivers in really hacky ways. Sony is just as bad as Toshiba. Acer is not bad with drivers, but the build quality is not good. Gateway is the same as Acer. HP makes solid laptops, but only for their business side of the house. The consumer laptops are just not that good from them.

Dell does make a stable product that works really well, and they support them well, but you have to make sure to get Intel wireless cards with them, not the Broadcom crap that Dell sells as their TrueMobile cards, or that other vendors bundle, else you will really hate life configuring wireless under Windows or Linux. They also don't have the System Update feature that the ThinkPads or Apples have.

In short, I've used Thinkpads for over 10 years. I am very satisfied with them, and this continues with the fact that I was able to stand up a T61 running Windows 7 with XP Mode and Aero in 30 minutes. They make some really nice machines. Pricey, but very nice, and solid for work.
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Pie
Gone and done

I did love my Thinkpad (back in 2003, before the Great Layoffs). However, the more recent Lenovo variants are a little ridiculous in the bloatware/addon software department. I suppose if you reload the OS clean, you get the best of both worlds. But those of us not in IT can rarely afford to do so.
Old 10-31-2009, 05:54 PM   #3
mbpark
Lecturer

Bloatware?

What Lenovo puts on their business laptops is not that bad. Seriously. They only put on Norton AV and Office trial on some versions (and you have to ask for the latter!), and I've worked on T60's and T61's out of the box. They do put on the utility software, but that's about it.

I would not be surprised if their consumer laptop had Idiocracy-level advertisements, however. The only way that the manufacturers make money on hardware these days is by turning consumer-level equipment into an advertising platform.

Now take Acer, Toshiba, Sony, HP, or Dell's consumer lineups and see what they put on there. It's really horrible. They put on the trial version of Office 2007, and a ton of other little programs you will never use, and a lot of pop-up ads for services. HP is especially guilty of this. I just bought an HP laptop for my mother because it was cheap, and it had more pop-ups than websites with questionable content asking me to buy a ton of services. Dell's corporate laptops even come with the ads.

I admit I reloaded the OS, and downloaded System Update and the drivers from their site and Windows Update (which actually worked!), and I ended up with almost exactly what my T43 had when I unpacked it 3.5 years ago sans Norton AV. System Update does have some ads in it, but they are non-obtrusive.
Old 10-31-2009, 08:59 PM   #4
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
I've been a very loyal Thinkpad user for years. I've either used them or Macs for work, with the exception of the Dell Latitude e6400 at my desk now. I am on my fifth Thinkpad (380D, 770Z, R31, T43, and now the new one).

I just got a Thinkpad T61 at work off of the "excess" pile since one of my old co-workers used it and then left. Since we're a Dell shop, it wasn't going to get circulated out to a customer.
So, your business sells Dells ... but you personally use thinkpads or macs .... that says a lot, and very loudly.
Old 10-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #5
mbpark
Lecturer

We don't sell computers

At my job, we don't sell computers.

I work in Information Security for a large hospital in Philadelphia with multiple locations. The IT vernacular term "shop" is used to describe the PCs we normally deploy on the floor, one of which I do use daily.

Therefore, my choice to use a ThinkPad vs. a Dell is irrelevant.

However, since we have a lot of doctors, and Macs are extremely popular with them, my using one sends a very good message to the MDs who insist on using them on our network.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:10 PM   #6
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Oh, right. I mis-interpeted this:
Quote:
Since we're a Dell shop, it wasn't going to get circulated out to a customer.
Downunda, "shop" means the same as "store", a place where you buy stuff. What you would call a shop we would call a workshop, a place where stuff gets made/fixed/serviced.
I recall a US friend mentioning his car was "in the shop today", causing me some puzzlement. Was he a ram-raider or just a really bad driver?