The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Polaroid PoGo

Polaroid is back with a digital that also prints photos. Small pics and a few drawbacks, not for a serious photo snapper, but it's a beginning. If it takes off they will probably get better and cheaper, plus it will probably take better pics than your phone.

link
Old 01-21-2009, 05:16 AM   #2
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Ohhhh. Awww. My first camera was a Polaroid. An 'Instamatik' with a set of flash cubes and a pack of film. I was seven years old. Camera was damn near bigger'n me.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:30 AM   #3
Beest
Adapt and Survive

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ohhhh. Awww. My first camera was a Polaroid. An 'Instamatik' with a set of flash cubes and a pack of film. I was seven years old. Camera was damn near bigger'n me.
Check, check, well kinda.

I think we have led a parallel life DanaC (with the Civilization on an Amiga and all). Did you ever have a Space 1999 T shirt?

Inkless printing technology, interesting, I wonder how much it will cost per shot, well I suppose you won't have to print them all instantly.
Beest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 09:53 AM   #4
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Hang on, is this one of them insta-phop-shop ones?
Because that's what I'm after. Better yet, one that comes with automatic airbrushing!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
At least in the US, Instamatic was a Kodak trademark ...

I had the one pictured on the top, with the pop up flash that you had to put a bulb in. I remember when the flashcube ones came out.

Despite my attempt to buy her several other cameras, my mother still has a Pocket Instamatic 110, which used the "flipflash." Does anybody know where you can get 110 film developed? I've struck out with three supermarkets and two chain drugstores.

I also remember my first Polaroid Land Camera, which was the Swinger. Very 70s. Went great with my ToodleLoop Radio.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 12:38 PM   #6
Wickedly_Tasteful
What do you want? A cookie?

that is so flippin awesome...i cant wait til they make it better
Old 01-25-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
At least in the US, Instamatic was a Kodak trademark ...

I had the one pictured on the top, with the pop up flash that you had to put a bulb in. I remember when the flashcube ones came out.

Despite my attempt to buy her several other cameras, my mother still has a Pocket Instamatic 110, which used the "flipflash." Does anybody know where you can get 110 film developed? I've struck out with three supermarkets and two chain drugstores.

I also remember my first Polaroid Land Camera, which was the Swinger. Very 70s. Went great with my ToodleLoop Radio.
Ditto here, Wolf. I lost that first one that used the AG individual bulbs. My next one had flash cubes. I never owned a 110 camera, as the picture quality sucked. Just not enough film area to render a decent quality 3x5 print, let alone 4 x 6.

I had a Swinger as well, then an SX70.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:10 AM   #8
cynthia09
Person Who Has Posted

Promising technology though. I'll wait for better, faster and cheaper units. The print quality is just ok it seems, but this is definitely not for everyone.
cynthia09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

49 cents each for 2x3 prints. It says that this is the paper cost, so I wonder if there are also ink costs or if that is included in the paper cartridge.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:11 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No ink Rich, it's all chemicals in the paper.
Quote:
Like the Polaroid PoGo(TM) Instant Mobile Printer, which hit store shelves in July 2008, the Polaroid PoGo(TM) Instant Digital Camera uses the same ZINK Photo Paper(TM) and ZINK(TM) Zero Ink(TM) Printing Technology from ZINK Imaging. ZINK(TM) Zero Ink(TM) is an ink-free printing technology which replaces ink cartridges or ribbons with ZINK Photo Paper(TM)—a composite material that has embedded, heat-activated dye crystals. Before printing, ZINK Photo Paper(TM) appears white like regular photo paper. Once the pictures are printed, they are immediately dry to the touch, durable and smudge and water resistant.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
No ink Rich, it's all chemicals in the paper.
If it's basically next generation thermal paper, it makes you wonder how long they last and how resistant they are to heat and sunlight.

Regular inkjet ink might fade a little, but you don't have to worry about it going to black if you leave it on a windowsill in the summer.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote