The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

View Poll Results: So? "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix"?
Harry who? 3 12.00%
It's juvenile simplistic claptrap, why should I pay attention? 8 32.00%
Yeah I read it but I figured all the high-powered intellects at The Cellar would look down on it 6 24.00%
I've read the books, didn't like them 0 0%
I bought my copy at midnight Friday night & devoured it immediately 8 32.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-17-2003, 01:55 AM   #1
Cedar
Questionist

Harry Potter Madness in London

When the latest Harry Potter book came out I was in London holding my 19 year old son's hand in the hospital as he was recovering from complications arising from his appendix being removed. Harry Potter addicts were camping in front of bookstores days before the release of the book to get an 8 hour jump at midnight before the opening of regular business the next day. I thought the hoopla was a bit exaggerated as I strolled down to the bookstore closest to my hotel near Oxford Street the next morning, queued up sixth in line at 9 am and waltzed out with the book at 9:08. My 13 year old daughter was thrilled with it when I gave it to her upon my return to Prague. She labored through it for at least two weeks and kept me posted chapter by chapter what troubles Harry was encountering at Hogwarts. To me it was more interesting to hear the tales from her than to actually read the book. Now I just have to get busy and get a copy mailed to my 20 year old daughter who is posted with the 4th Infantry somewhere in Iraq.