The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-04-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I won't be watching the Olympics for the simple reason that it's boring as hell.
Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #17
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar
I believe the Olympics is about all nations putting aside their political differences and coming together in the spirit of good sportsmanship and fair competition. I am disgusted by those protesting the Olympics in China. Their own actions are more offensive than those of China's government.
The issue to me is not that the individual competition and sportsmanship should be squelched, it's the PLACE. How much revenue is going to pour into China? With the history of human rights abuses, why were they awarded the venue? Award, reward, whatever...it smells fishy to me.

Sure, let the games begin. But let them begin somewhere else. Surely there are other countries which would benefit from millions of dollars pouring into their economy? Or is this set up as a partial payment of all that the US owes China?

The "think of the sportsmen" argument is quite short-sighted and really not what I'd expect from you.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:57 PM   #18
Tink
Why oh why?

Take a look at the CNN clip they are running today. All about how the young Chinese children are pushed from a VERY young age so they can compete, win and move on to a life that is "better for them".

Some of these kids didn't want to be pushed so hard. Walking on their hand for 3 minutes, followed by 60 crunches, followed by serious ab workouts. Shit....I couldn't do that. Even the look on their faces.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:20 PM   #19
lookout123
changed his status to single

happens in the US too. and Canada, and france, and just about anywhere that kids have more talent than their parents have brains.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:47 PM   #20
miketrees
Regulator of Squalor

happens in the US too. and Canada, and France, and just about anywhere that kids have more talent than their parents have brains.

Lookout with your permission I might pirate that saying
miketrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 10:03 PM   #21
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Well, except in the US it's the parents pushing the kids and being overly involved. In China, the government takes the kids off to live (literally) at the gymnasium, away from their families.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:21 AM   #22
Radar
Constitutional Scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
The issue to me is not that the individual competition and sportsmanship should be squelched, it's the PLACE. How much revenue is going to pour into China? With the history of human rights abuses, why were they awarded the venue? Award, reward, whatever...it smells fishy to me.

Sure, let the games begin. But let them begin somewhere else. Surely there are other countries which would benefit from millions of dollars pouring into their economy? Or is this set up as a partial payment of all that the US owes China?

The "think of the sportsmen" argument is quite short-sighted and really not what I'd expect from you.

How is this a short-sited argument? It's the very reason for the creation of the Olympics in the first place. China is hosting the Olympics because they promised to have brand new, state-of-the-art, facilities, and excellent security. China represents a very important nation of historical and cultural significance. They are as deserving of hosting the Olympics as America, or anyone else.

The Olympic committee isn't here to reward or to punish. They are here to find good venues for the Olympics that have an adequate amount of hotel rooms, security, transportation, etc.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:39 AM   #23
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
How much revenue is going to pour into China? With the history of human rights abuses, why were they awarded the venue? Award, reward, whatever...it smells fishy to me.
China is spending an order of magnitude more money, then they are taking in.
It's a national ego trip, of the first order... a trip that countries are lining up to take themselves.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:12 AM   #24
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I won't be watching the Olympics for the simple reason that it's boring as hell.
Really, Sheldon? All those hunky athletic types doing gymnastics, wrestling, etc? You wouldn't even have it on with the sound turned down?
Old 08-05-2008, 04:23 AM   #25
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
China is spending an order of magnitude more money, then they are taking in.
It's a national ego trip, of the first order... a trip that countries are lining up to take themselves.
It's true. One of the things people were calling for when Boris Johnson was elected Mayor of London was that he should refuse to hold the Olympics here (the bis was won under the previous Mayor, Ken Livingstone). Sadly, for the moaners, it was also backed heavily by a Tory peer, so it had cross-party support.

I'll find you some of the many, many negative opinion posts if you're interested. In fact Zen probably remembers it from the Sydney Olympics too. Hosting the Olympics is a very expensive business, and a very contentious issue (in a democracy).

Hell, you should have heard the complaints whrn America got the World Cup!
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #26
Shawnee123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
How is this a short-sited argument? It's the very reason for the creation of the Olympics in the first place. China is hosting the Olympics because they promised to have brand new, state-of-the-art, facilities, and excellent security. China represents a very important nation of historical and cultural significance. They are as deserving of hosting the Olympics as America, or anyone else.

The Olympic committee isn't here to reward or to punish. They are here to find good venues for the Olympics that have an adequate amount of hotel rooms, security, transportation, etc.
And air quality?

k...point taken, guys! I see what you're saying.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:23 AM   #27
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Really, Sheldon? All those hunky athletic types doing gymnastics, wrestling, etc? You wouldn't even have it on with the sound turned down?
If they ever start wrestling in the nude like the original Olympics, I might tune it.
Old 08-05-2008, 11:43 AM   #28
Cyber Wolf
As stable as a ring of PU-239

Location: On a huge rock covered in water, highly advanced moss and 7 billion parasites
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tink View Post
Take a look at the CNN clip they are running today. All about how the young Chinese children are pushed from a VERY young age so they can compete, win and move on to a life that is "better for them".

Some of these kids didn't want to be pushed so hard. Walking on their hand for 3 minutes, followed by 60 crunches, followed by serious ab workouts. Shit....I couldn't do that. Even the look on their faces.
How is this honestly different from young girls that are pushed, squeezed, trained and made-up from ages as young as 3 to compete in beauty pageants right here in the US? Sure, some of them love to compete but you also see these same kids worried about being fat or hating how they look when not made-up and they aren't out of kindergarten yet. School takes second fiddle to dancing lessons, poise practice and exercise to lose that baby fat. 5 years olds that look damn near close to slowly-developing 16 year olds? Yeesh.

"I don't see why it matters what is written. Not when it's about people. It can always be crossed out." ~Adam Young, Good Omens
Cyber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #29
Tink
Why oh why?

It's not. Stage parents living vicariously through there kids. Not all of them. Some kids do really want to do these things. It should never take the lead over school.
Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #30
Shawnee123

I didn't see the clip, but my assumption is that the pushing of the Chinese children that the CNN clip was about was on a larger scale, even sanctioned by powers-that be, than some stage moms (creepy) or living vicariously through such means as munchausen-by-proxy.

As I said, I did not get to see the clip, but is this the case? What I'm asking is: does the pushing of these children in China seem to be more the norm, the way of life, the status quo, for most families as opposed to the relatively few freaky moms who push the girls to beauty pageants or push the boys to be great football players, or else?