The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #46
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

because tw brought it up and seems to be seriously interested in my own behaviour here I will tell him: tw, I am very self conscious in class as I am nearly always the oldest student in the room. I am very careful to remember that these are very, very young adults---kids, dare I say?---that I am with. Recalling my own young college days and my own family, I try hard to be kind to them all, knowing all the insecurities and jealousies and pettiness and angst about the grown up world ("what shall i do? will I be able to make a living? what if my boyfriend dumps me? Will he dump me when he finds out I've a wart on my toe? Why do I hate random people?") that they may have. I've done NOTHING to this girl. I've smiled nicely at her when she has made comments about works, I've encouraged her (along with the rest of the class) to share her work, and that's about IT. Now, is it possible that she sees me as some harpie with a loud mouth? No. I rarely say anything in class that isn't related to the work. this is a YOUNG class and they get off topic frequently, talk among themselves frequently (which I do not join in as is inappropriate for someone their mother's age to banter like that about drinking and smoking pot and hooking up, etc) so. NO. I've done nothing to her, said only kind things to her and congratulated her on 'getting into grad school'. She said it was some school in Portland OR. and I said, "oh, that is a lovely place, I think you will really like it there," clearly, a confrontational statement, right tw?

If you had READ my first post, you would see that I explained I'd done nothing that I could see in my most scrutinizing mind to annoy this young woman.
But you don't know how to read. You only know how to write.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:17 AM   #47
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
She has a problem with Brianna? Why is that group so anti-social as to not speak up; criticize the anti-social behavior.
You so don't know sophomore college students. You've no business even speculating on something you are so obviously ignorant about. Why do people feel they can critisize other people when they've no basis for critisim? When they've never walked in that persons shoes? Why do some people continue to come to a forum where violence is advocated for every problem and everyone is an immature jerk and they have a problem with EVERYTHING EVERYONE says? These questions need to be answered before we can move on, but I doubt they will be given the contemplation they deserve. I'll bet there will be just more smoke and mirrors from the man behind the curtain.

He'll claim he's already answered these questions but I am too ignorant to divine them from his above postings.

You are like my old shower curtain, tw. Transparent.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 05-14-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: i hate it when tw harshes my buzz. I really do.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:32 AM   #48
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

What the hell's a tw, and where's its sense of humor? "Cunt" is the only taboo word left in the world, so it's fun when we've been given carte blanche to use it. That's essentially the purpose of this thread right now, gomer, if we were actually advocating violence, we'd suggest something more practical like slapping da ho.

I'll be serious for once and give my real opinion now. I was an elementary ed major in college, we had several non-traditional (older) students in my class. I enjoyed them as people, but the one main difference between a non-traditional student and a traditional student is that non-traditionals tend to have lives and jobs outside of the school atmosphere and usually only have to focus on one class or so at a time. Not only that, but since they've been in the real world and are coming back to school to get a degree for a job they would actually like, they work harder at it. Traditional students don't have the time to throw two hours at a project when 45 minutes would get us by with a B because we have 8 other classes to juggle and drinking to do. Just an assumption, but I'm guessing you're probably the person who asks the most questions in class and gets the eyeball rolls. It's because you're interested in actually learning the subject matter whereas full-time students are just looking to get by. Full-time college is all about learning how to adapt to the system so you can get that stupid sheet of paper. So yeah, when someone came in and was able to put in twice the time and effort, I got annoyed too because it's threatening. That's where the jealousy is coming from. This girl is probably doing the same thing, but lacks the maturity and empathy to deal with it in a correct manner. She's probably bitching about you back at the sorostitute house, using an inordinate number of uses of the word "like". Ouch, I'm sure that really rocks your world. So who cares, screw her, you're doing nothing wrong, be proud of the reasons you're pissing her off.
Dingleschmutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:38 AM   #49
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I was a full time student until I got cancer--and even then i tried to be full time. This is the first quarter I've slacked off and it was due to the need for surgery (and the kind of surgery I was to have wouldn't be known until they actually got IN there, so it could have been radical, but, thankfully wasn't) and daily radiation treatments. As a full time student I made all A's. AND I even managed to drink myself nearly to death, just like them.

—James Barrie

Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 AM   #50
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

Ha, well, then it's just pettiness. I too still get annoyed with the person in class who's constantly raising her hand for a question. People don't like class to go longer than the bare minimum, and certainly don't like to be reminded that there are much harder workers out there, so I do at least understand her mindset. Basically her system for beating the class doesn't match yours, she knows on some level that your system of actually working at something is better than her system of skating by, and she's immature enough to bitchily voice her opinion about it as a defense mechanism. Doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong, no need to worry about her. She's definitely a prime candidate for a cunt punt, have at it.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:54 AM   #51
Flint
Snowflake

But... the topmost questions!
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 09:56 AM   #52
Dingleschmutz
is not a palindrome...

Can I go back to being my interwebs persona now?
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #53
Flint
Snowflake

You can has anonymity.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 10:13 AM   #54
lookout123
changed his status to single

Quote:
Amazing how many can have an opinion when almost no facts exist. For example, was Brianna doing something to this girl previously? I don't see a single effort to ask, "But what is she thinking? What does she see? Why would see be this way?" Not asking those questions means insufficient information and no useful replies.

Worse I see too many low life responses encouraging violence. One good benchmark here. Anyone who entertains a violent solution has nothing useful to say. Anyone who finds that violence funny would be seriously questioned where I socialize. Once violence is recommended, then everything from that poster is suspect.

She has a problem with Brianna? Why is that group so anti-social as to not speak up; criticize the anti-social behavior. Or maybe Brianna sees something completely different from the rest of that group? How would anyone here know?

Bottom line - answers are only based in speculation - seriously hampered due to a perspective only from one pair of eyes. And yet some find that sufficient to recommend violence rather than ask the topmost questions.
Further proof that tw's only experience with human interaction comes through the blessed protection of a basement window and the interwebz.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 PM   #55
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Uhh. I don't think I'm going to read advice from the t-dub on resolving social problems..........lol!
Old 05-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #56
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
because tw brought it up and seems to be seriously interested in my own behaviour here I will tell him: tw, I am very self conscious in class as I am nearly always the oldest student in the room.
Posted was only a summary from facts as provided. Any consideration for 'being nice' or consoling or trying to psychoanalyze anyone has no place in what was posted. Provided were conclusions based only upon the facts - nothing more.

I have no interest in Brianna's behavior because it was not relevant. Nothing posted says anything about 'behavior', liking someone, hating someone, or all those other irrelevant details.

Only suggestion was so simple: "But what is she thinking? What does she see? Why would see be this way?" Brianna - where did all your conclusions and emotions come from? Why speculate so much drama from so tiny sentences? How do you see so much when that post was complete devoid of any silly emotions or judgements? I am mildly entertained. A match to only provide enlightenment instead will create a massive explosion. This could be the beginning of a pulp fiction plot line. [Did I mention I bleed only in true blue?]

Meanwhile, "But what is she thinking? What does she see? Why would see be this way?" Did you forget the question?
Quote:
If you had READ my first post, ... I explained I'd done nothing ... to annoy this young woman.
Unlikely. You even went off on something that was never even posted - and still forgot to answer those simple questions. But again, "But what is she thinking? What does she see? Why would see be this way?" ... because I so enjoy 4th of July fireworks and good drama.

Last edited by tw; 05-15-2008 at 05:05 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:28 AM   #57
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
My question is this: what should I do? she really did make me kind of sad today as she yelled at me (again. and I wasn't even addressing her) and I wondered: what have I DONE? I am trying very, very hard to extend goodness, serenity, calm and compassion (I'm doing twice daily meditation tapes) and I am eating well and looking much better---all in all, feeling happy to have survived this year. So. The negativity thrown willy nilly at me with no basis bothers me.

Shall I completely ignore her? Squeeze myself down into a small marble and not share in class b/c she is a bully? (highly unlikely of me) or what?
Turn to her and say, "Shut the fuck up. I am not talking to you." Or you could just ignore her and not let it get to you.
Old 05-15-2008, 06:30 AM   #58
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Why is it when I read tw's responses I feel like he responds as Charlie Chan would respond in an old black and white mystery?

Last edited by TheMercenary; 05-15-2008 at 06:36 AM.
TheMercenary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 07:02 AM   #59
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

tw. I'm not here for your amusement but you are definitely here for mine.

the questions you ask, in the way of a Stella Dallas novel, are you asking them of me or of the other young woman?

what do I see? A narcissist.

what do i think? she's unhappy.

Why would she be this way? see the above.

now. would YOU like to answer my questions?

Oh, yeah. You're a narcissistic, unhappy person. So. No, you won't answer them. Plus, you're a HUGE pussy.

—James Barrie

Old 05-15-2008, 07:05 AM   #60
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Meanwhile, "But what is she thinking? What does she see? Why would see be this way?" Did you forget the question? Unlikely.
are you SURE you're not Dick Cheney?

"unlikely"--? Mere speculation. I've denied irritating this woman. You refuse to accept my answer. That is childish. Only a mental midget would read more into the situation than provided by an eye witness.

Go take a shower, tw. I'm sure you need one.

—James Barrie