The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 08-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #301
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

I take conservative as usually low government involvement and tend to holds more traditional viewpoints.

Conservatives don't take it as a moral issue, they usually take one side of the moral issue, which seems to be one part of the immigration situation. Right now, the law says that an immigrant can not just cross a border without registering. Usually conservatives use the argument that they have broken the law,as one of their arguments. The justification of breaking laws comes down to a moral issue? When is it justified to break a law and when is it not? Usually liberals say breaking the law is justified or that we can not just deport them and usually conservatives so that breaking the law is not justified so we these people should be punished or they should not receive the services that legal immigrants get because they broke the law.
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:41 PM   #302
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeger
Accepted, now is this fact for or against more accepting immigration laws?
Against, for the most part. The people who contribute here and now have a relatively easy time getting in. The people who want to make a better life for themselves have a harder time because A.) there are many, many more of them and B.) they cannot contribute as much or as soon. I think a guest worker program is reasonable, because if there are jobs available then obviously someone is more than welcome to fill that job. But deportation (of those people we already know are not working) is a joke, currently.

I forget which politician was recently touting the idea, but I think doing away with the anchor baby law would go a long way towards solving the problem.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:49 PM   #303
queequeger
Hypercharismatic Telepathical Knight

So do you think that the change made to the law should be that if an illegal immigrant has a child we should deport the whole family, child included, meaning the parent must be a citizen in order to gain citizenship? Or do you think we should deport the parents and put the kids up for adoption?
Old 08-26-2007, 03:59 PM   #304
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I think a baby that happens to be born within our borders should not automatically be granted citizenship. I think we should deport the parents or not, depending only on the status of the parents, and if they have kids, of course their kids go with them. If the parents gain citizenship, then their minor children should be fast-tracked for citizenship, as foreign spouses of citizens are now.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 06:37 PM   #305
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by queequeger View Post
That's anecdotal. I could easily provide other stories of individuals to support my claim. I was asking for some sort of actual evidence of so many people wanting to come here.
Anecdotal? Someone who's actually delt with the system and knows how expensive and difficult it is and how bad the odds are after going to that expense and bullshit? My point is 10 million (your number) go through all that to try to get here. With no barrier except the cost of transportation, easily 10 times that many would on their way.
Quote:
And please, calm down the name calling and personal insults. All you do with things like that is make enemies of people who hold no ill will toward you.
Unless you're offering to suck my dick, I have enough friends, thank you.
Attached Images

Old 08-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #306
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Bruce, don't make us start a thread about you.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:05 PM   #307
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Have at it.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:06 AM   #308
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
I forget which politician was recently touting the idea, but I think doing away with the anchor baby law would go a long way towards solving the problem.
Anchor baby law? You must mean the Fourteenth Amendment.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 07:58 AM   #309
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Unless you're offering to suck my dick, I have enough friends, thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
Bruce, don't make us start a thread about you.
You beat me to it, Blue. RK has nothing over Bruce, but where are all the detractors?
Old 08-27-2007, 09:45 AM   #310
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
You beat me to it, Blue. RK has nothing over Bruce, but where are all the detractors?
Start a thread if you feel the need - then they'll surely come out. You know how the crowd mentality works - after a few get things started, a poll will surely follow and it'll be rolling along with a life of its own.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 03:18 PM   #311
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I've got you Spex, so whine away. Let me know when your set up and I'll come pretend I give a hairy rat's ass, just to make you feel good. OK?
Old 08-27-2007, 05:39 PM   #312
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Bruce, seriously, what's up lately? You seem more testy than usual...this is how you got before you went AWOL earlier this year. Hope you're alright.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #313
roost
Eavesdropper

I can claim my tithe in taxes, So this must be the only part subject to tax. I know they can stay at our motel without paying taxes as long as they have a tax exempt form.
Actually Charities pay taxes on donations also. Just not living expense taxes.
roost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:48 PM   #314
rkzenrage

The US's immigration system is actually easier to navigate and it is easier to become a citizen of this nation than most nations of the world.
People just don't want to hear this basic truth.
The myth is that it is SO hard to become a citizen of the US, but that is a lie.
Try looking-up how hard it is to become a citizen of Sweden, China, or 95% of other nations and then compare it to the States and suddenly the lies become clear.
Just because more want to become citizens of the US does not equal entitlement.
I don't know where this idea that want=some kind of currency came from, but it is bullshit.
It is harder to become a Mexican citizen than that of the US and their Southern border is ten-times more militantly patrolled and those crossing illegally are treated in ways no one in the US would EVER be treated... but that is "different".
Bull-shit.
Again and again, immigration is a legal issue and ONLY a legal issue and our laws are far more fair than most of the world's, even those of the nation's where people are coming from.
If you come here illegally, you are a criminal and have no right to complain about being treated as one.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:18 PM   #315
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
it is easier to become a citizen of this nation than most nations of the world.
Just because more want to become citizens of the US does not equal entitlement.
I don't know where this idea that want=some kind of currency came from, but it is bullshit.
It is harder to become a Mexican citizen than that of the US and their Southern border is ten-times more militantly patrolled and those crossing illegally are treated in ways no one in the US would EVER be treated... but that is "different".
Bull-shit.
Again and again, immigration is a legal issue and ONLY a legal issue and our laws are far more fair than most of the world's, even those of the nation's where people are coming from.
If you come here illegally, you are a criminal and have no right to complain about being treated as one.
I agree with the first few parts, but the last part I have to add one caveat to . . . They have no rights - period.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote