The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 05-06-2007, 01:08 AM   #46
thorswitch
Walking on the razor's edge

David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode View Post
What makes this one different for me is that the gunman was a friend of mine.
I knew David as well, though I probably haven't seen in him about a decade. Still, learning about this was shocking. Give how much more recently you were friends with him, I can only imagine how much more difficult it makes it for you.

I'm sorry for your loss, Patrick.

Kriselda
thorswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 01:10 AM   #47
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Welcome to the Cellar, thorswitch.
Sorry it couldn't be under better circumstances.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:55 PM   #48
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Hi, Thorswitch. Your handle and posted name sound kinda familiar. Have we met IRL here in KC?

I got a voicemail from Dave's niece tonight, asking me to call her. She thanked me for what I said on Fox, and said she'd like to talk to me about him a little bit, and that she had a couple of things of his she thought I might like.

I can't imagine how the poor girl must feel, but I'm going to call her tomorrow.
Old 05-09-2007, 06:14 PM   #49
Elspode

Great...Just Great...

It seems that my dead psycho pal had killed before...and none of us knew.

This just keeps getting better and better.

Quote:
Mall gunman had killed before
Victim’s wife had a relationship with mall gunman. Case ended with no indictment.

By CHRISTINE VENDEL
The Kansas City Star

When David Logsdon fatally shot two shoppers at the Ward Parkway Center 10 days ago, it wasn’t the first time he gunned down someone.

He shot a 24-year-old Northland man during a fistfight over a woman six days before Christmas 1981, The Kansas City Star has confirmed.

At first, Logsdon and two others told detectives that Steven J. Foster committed suicide. But the coroner disputed that, saying it was impossible for Foster to have been holding the pistol.

After detectives pressed, Logsdon claimed the gun accidentally fired. The first bullet hit no one, but the second struck Foster in the middle of his forehead and exited the back of his head, near an ear, the autopsy report says.

A Clay County grand jury declined to indict Logsdon, then a five-year security officer for Kansas City International Airport.

The outcome disappointed homicide detectives.

“None of us bought any of their stories,” said Pete Edlund, one of those detectives and now a Platte County deputy. “But we never had enough to get him charged.”

Foster’s death crushed his family.

“They initially reported it on the news as a suicide. That was so hard to get over,” said his mother, Yvonne Foster. “We never got to say our son was murdered.”

The family trusted the legal system, but it failed, she said.

Steven Foster’s father briefly considered revenge.

“It was a hard decision not to go kill him” (Logsdon), said Foster’s father, J.W. Foster. “But I had too much to give up. I couldn’t avenge Steve, but I could look after his kids.”

Though most of the case’s investigative records are sealed, The Star pieced together this story using Foster’s autopsy report and death certificate, police documents kept all these years by his family, and city employment records and interviews with Foster’s family and others involved in the case.

His family fondly recalled that Steven Foster looked like a bear — with an appetite to match — but that he had a gentle spirit. The hunter and fisherman cherished childhood memories of low-budget family camping trips. After graduating from Oak Park High School in 1975, he worked at service stations before becoming a mechanic for a truck company.

Days before his death, he moved back in with his parents. He and his wife, Sherlene, had been married three years when they separated. They were raising two children, a preschool girl and a toddler boy.

Sherlene Foster, a KCI gift shop employee, secretly began a relationship with Logsdon.

On Dec. 19, 1984, Steven Foster went to Sherlene’s house— his former house — to pick up his children and take them to see the Country Club Plaza’s Christmas lights.

When he saw Logsdon, he became suspicious of his intentions. But Sherlene and her 16-year-old sister, Reva, lied and said Logsdon came to see Reva.

Steven Foster stormed off in a huff, driving away with his son but leaving his daughter standing in the doorway, crying and calling, “Daddy!”

He soon returned for the girl and encountered Logsdon and Sherlene wearing coats and about to get into Logsdon’s car. Reva and her boyfriend were outside watching.

“I remember this part like it was yesterday,” recalled Reva Neubauer, now a 41-year-old resident of Columbia. “He said, ‘You lied to me, Sherlene. I knew you did.’ ”

Steven Foster punched Logsdon, igniting the fistfight. Neubauer grabbed the couple’s preschooler and ran inside to call police. Her boyfriend soon followed and announced, “They got a gun! Hurry up!”

Sherlene retreated inside in tears. Logsdon soon followed, shut the door behind him and announced that Steven Foster had killed himself.

Logsdon then asked Neubauer to lie. Neubauer recalls him saying something like: “You know your brother-in-law committed suicide, but he used my gun — a gun that I wasn’t supposed to have. If we could just say that I brought the gun here for you guys, for protection and that he took it off the table, then I wouldn’t get in trouble. It’s really not my fault, right?”

Neubauer believed Logsdon, who also told her he was supposed to leave his gun at work. Neubauer went along with the plan to say that Foster had grabbed the gun from a table.

After Neubauer returned home from giving a statement at police headquarters, she shoveled the bloody snow off the driveway.

“I couldn’t stand to see it out there,” she said.

Edlund, one of the investigators, said the story didn’t add up.

“We all had a feeling in our gut that this guy had gotten shot,” Edlund said. “There were all kinds of things that smelled.”

When police received the coroner’s report, they brought Logsdon, Sherlene Foster and Neubauer downtown to confront them.

All three changed their stories, but Sherlene Foster and Neubauer maintained they were inside when the shot was fired. Logsdon maintained it was an accident.

Neubauer thinks Logsdon probably thought he was acting in self-defense.

“But I don’t know if it was necessary,” she said. “He had the gun. He could have just run away.”

Neubauer said she regrets lying to police and letting Steven Foster’s parents think their only son committed suicide.

“It was the worst mistake of my life,” she said. “I disgraced Steven’s name when I did it. He was a good man. He loved my sister. It wasn’t his fault.”

Sherlene Foster, who died about five years later, didn’t see Logsdon again, Neubauer said.

Steven Foster’s parents adopted the children when they were 7 and 10.

The children — and the rest of the family — were shocked to learn of Logsdon’s shooting rampage at Ward Parkway.

When Yvonne Foster first heard a television news anchor announce the gunman’s name, it sounded familiar, but she said the anchor mispronounced it.

She turned to her husband and asked if he heard the name. He didn’t.

It wasn’t until a Star reporter called last week that relatives learned the man who killed Steven was the same man who apparently beat his neighbor to death and later tried to kill multiple shoppers before a police officer killed him inside the mall.

“There was no joy,” Yvonne Foster said of the news of Logsdon’s death. “We were just stunned. And after that, we prayed for the people who had to go through what we did.”

Logsdon didn’t tell his sister, Kathy Cagg, about the 1981 shooting. Cagg said she doubted he told their mother, either.

A high school dropout, he served one year in the Air Force before working about nine years at KCI, Cagg said. He later held a variety of jobs, including delivering medical documents and once wrecking a school bus while intoxicated. At one point, he hurt his back and received workers’ compensation. Later, when he had gotten used to not working, he drank heavily, she said.

He worked one year recently as an unarmed guard for the Target store at Ward Parkway. But he lost his job last year.

Sandra Foster, who was 4 when her father died, said Logsdon “walked away from murder, and he knew that.”

Now Steven Foster’s relatives want to learn all they can about how he died. They are trying to get the homicide case file from police, but were told it was a closed record.

“I just want to know the truth,” said Steven Foster II, who was nearly 2 when his dad died. “I got a lot of pieces to the puzzle, but I don’t have them all and some are conflicting.”

“I didn’t get to know my father … through the consequences of his (Logsdon’s) actions. I’m sorry to know he’s taken more lives.”
Old 05-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Damn.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:01 PM   #51
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I am so sorry, spode. What a horribly disappointing piece of news to discover.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 09:30 PM   #52
Elspode

I've been asked by David's niece to handle the internment of his ashes. Prior to this new revelation, we were working on a memorial focusing on the man before Ward Parkway and the tragedy of his demise and those he took out on the way down.

Now we're talking about sneaking into the woods under cover of darkness and doing our basic clerical duties as is expected of us as Priests and Priestesses.

Fuck.
Old 05-12-2007, 06:12 PM   #53
Elspode

At last, perhaps a sense of closure

Selene and I met with Dave's niece and her husband last night. Dave's sister (the niece's mother) has decided that she is going to inter his ashes on the grounds of the family home where Dave still lived when he went crazy.

I'm pretty much relieved, to be honest.
Old 05-12-2007, 07:45 PM   #54
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Relieved not to be involved because of his fucked up past, recent and distant? Or relieved because your heart isn't into the ceremony you'd be expected to perform?
Old 05-17-2007, 11:12 PM   #55
Elspode

Relieved because the problem of how to appropriately lay the deceased to rest has been taken out of my hands. I mean, how in hell *do* you hold a ceremony for a killer? With normal folks, you can say all the nice stuff they did and how you'll miss them and such. That doesn't go over so well with a mad dog killer's final sendoff.
Old 05-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Got that. There was a guy at work that was a complete bastard. Wife left him, children wouldn't talk to him, bosses and cow orkers hated him. He couldn't get laid in Bangkok.

Then he died.

About a month later I mentioned he was a bastard when we found something he'd screwed up and tried to make it looked like it was someone else's fault. Everybody's suddenly on my case, because I said what everybody knew and agreed with... until he died.

Well fuck that, dieing doesn't let you off the hook.
I'm glad you weren't put in that position.
Old 06-06-2007, 11:42 PM   #57
Elspode

Well, here's #2 in the too fucking close to home sweepstakes. At least I didn't know the victim personally. Hopefully I won't know the perp when he's found.

An 18 year old Overland Park girl was kidnapped from a Target store across the state line in Kansas on Saturday. This afternoon, her body was found...in the large park just to the South of my old neighborhood, Park Hills, in Grandview. The apparent exact location where she was discovered is smack dab in the middle of what used to be my teenage stomping grounds, a place where we used to drive our cars across the low water of the Little Blue and go parking, drinking and boinking. The lay of the land is considerably different now since Longview Lake went in, but I have been to this location countless times in my life.

The guy who did this to her is the guy for whom the death penalty exists. Fuck him.

http://www.myfoxkc.com/myfox/pages/N...Y&pageId=3.1.1
Old 06-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #58
Elspode

And just as quick as I posted this, police announce that they have a suspect in custody.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:07 AM   #59
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Do you know Hall?
Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #60
Elspode

No, thank the Gods. If he is guilty, I hope they fry him.