The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 04-06-2007, 06:05 PM   #166
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
Wow, that was ignorant. I am fortunate enough to be able to choose to place my child in a place that does not teach bigotry or creationism here in the bible-belt. Many are not so fortunate.
You sound like an elitist.
You sound like a Christian, at least in one regard. You want to see that everyone is exposed to "The Truth."
Toymented is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 06:17 PM   #167
rkzenrage

The difference, truth for me changes based on evidence and perception/understanding of that evidence with changes in technology and ideas as we evolve and grow.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:45 PM   #168
Toymented
Without Explanation

Does religion evolve?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkzenrage View Post
The difference, truth for me changes based on evidence and perception/understanding of that evidence with changes in technology and ideas as we evolve and grow.
How does religion survive in the face of such overwhelming evidence demonstrated by brilliant scientific minds using amazing technologies? Does religion evolve faster than humanity?

Best wishes on your quest, rkzenrage. Toy watches with great interest.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:48 PM   #169
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Theists own the market.
And they have tremendous overhead. Think Big Three.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:51 PM   #170
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymented View Post
How does religion survive in the face of such overwhelming evidence demonstrated by brilliant scientific minds using amazing technologies?
First deny the evidence, then deny the importance of evidence.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #171
Toymented
Without Explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
First deny the evidence, then deny the importance of evidence.
Some do, no doubt. Most, however, don't even need to bother.
Old 04-06-2007, 07:17 PM   #172
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Religions constantly change (or, one might say, evolve) to better reflect the cultures they exist in. We can't see this kind of change because it is long-term. Inflexible religions that don't permit interpretation tend to die off.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 12:04 AM   #173
rkzenrage

One can only hope...though hearing a senator saying that Neptune was reclaiming New Orleans would have been sweet!
Old 04-10-2007, 03:28 AM   #174
rkzenrage

This video got pulled, but here is a description from another board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S*****
I think the kid pulled it because I noticed that he allowed comments until somebody said it was messed up that he posted it and it should be a private matter between him and his mom. After that, he stopped allowing comments, and about the time that imrational complained, he pulled it (in fact, I was actually able to get one last look).

It basically went something like this:

mom: so you stopped believing in God? What the fuck is that about?
kid: yeah
mom: that's it, we're gonna start going to church every week
kid: I don't believe in god
mom: no, you got confirmed. You told the pastor you believed in God
kid: well people can change
mom (really pissed and yelling): Oh so you stopped fucking believing in God just like that? (now I'm using sib's recollection) All of the sudden there is no god?!?!?"
(she gets in his face now)
kid: yeah
mom: Then you get nothing .. NOTHING for christmas .. because THAT is what it is all about! Jesus...
kid: all right!!!
mom: no it's NOT all right!!!

video ends.

That's not perfect, but it pretty much sums it up. What's funny is I looked at his youtube profile and it says he's 27. In the description of the video, it says "I" and "me" so unless he's lying about his age, I find it weird that his mom still tries to control him at that age. It was also funny to see the dad sitting there not saying anything during the discussion.
Old 04-10-2007, 09:02 AM   #175
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove here, rkz. I see (described) a shitty parent with poor communication skills and an immature child who thought it would be a good idea to videotape a provoked argument with his mother and put it on the internet. Who cares what they were arguing about?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 10:24 AM   #176
pourbill
Do-er of Deeds

A modest thought

It seems to me that if one were to tune through the radio stations in my area, to watch cable TV, or drive down the streets around here, they would find dozens if not hundreds of Christian broadcasts (ranging from the compassionate to the demanding and damning), and yard signs (containing the Ten Commandments or JESUS). We are inundated with Christain advertising everywhere. Look in your yellow pages and see how many companies advertise with the fish symbol to proclaim their belief (and solicite other Christians to patronize them). Why, in the face of this continual barage of Christian belief is anyone offended because a couple thousand non-believers want to proclaim what they believe on Youtube?

Non-theists are second class where I live, in fact, after reading the post about the President saying we were not good citizens or patriots I guess we are second class in America. Funny, I don't remember anyone saying I was not patriotic when I served in the Army during Viet Nam. Whoever posted that Atheists were arrogant because they proclaimed themselves (when major networks regularly feature thousands of Christains doing the same on Billy Graham telecasts) should be ashamed. And the "Challenge" is to individuals to step up for what THEY believe, not an "in your face" challenge to Christian believe.

In America all people should be treated equally, regardless of what they believe or do not believe about religion. I am an honest, tax paying, hard working guy who has raised bright, well educated children who are the same and I don't have to take a back seat to anyone because I do not believe as they do about unseen, unproven, and unbelievable ghosts. Yet, I stay in the closet because I would lose my job if the truth about me were known in the school district where I work. People around here equate good with Christian and they make no allowances for anything else.
pourbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:51 PM   #177
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
Religions constantly change (or, one might say, evolve) to better reflect the cultures they exist in. We can't see this kind of change because it is long-term. Inflexible religions that don't permit interpretation tend to die off.
I'm not sure I agree. I'm no scholar on it but I don't see much in the way of change in Islam in the last 2000 years.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:15 PM   #178
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It isn't 2000 years old yet.
Old 04-10-2007, 01:31 PM   #179
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The audio of that kid and his mom arguing:

http://onegoodmove.org/1gm/1gmarchiv...m_im_an_a.html
Old 04-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #180