The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 01-06-2003, 09:10 PM   #16
wolf
lobber of scimitars

No, they don't.

Not only do dad and mom drive like idiots too, but they often hire someone else to teach the kidling to drive. I think you still get a wee bit of a break on the new driver's insurance.

Actually, my mother stayed WELL away from the issue of teaching me how to drive and turned me over to my high school's driving instructor. My mom worked for the school and explained to him that it would not be a good idea for her to be in the car with me while I was learning. (it's STILL not a good idea, BTW; "Mom, just close your eyes and hang on").

I know all the right things to do, all the regs, and am actually a safe driver ... occasional passenger sphincter locks to the contrary. No accidents (*knock wood*).

Also, in addition to the two car length following distance I was taught, there's another rule of thumb that a lot of people either forget, didn't learn or outright ignore --- when at a stop, don't pull so close to another vehicle that you can't see their tires in entirety.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:44 PM   #17
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
Also, in addition to the two car length following distance I was taught.....
Thats not what I learned. Two car lengths for 20 MPH, three car lengths for 30 MPH, four for 40.........
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 09:56 PM   #18
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Actually, what I was taught was "pick some point ahead of you. watch the car before you cross that point. count one-one thousand two-one-thousand" to estimate a proper following distance at any speed.

I think that's how it went.

I've never rear ended anyone, so I guess I learned it okay.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-06-2003, 11:26 PM   #19
Bitman
cellar smellar

You just described the two-second rule. Much easier than the car-length mathobatics. I use the rear-tire rule too, though my dad doesn't.
Quote:
I'll just note that cameras have not, to my knowledge, done all that much to really prevent crime.
That's not their point. They're there to catch criminals, not prevent them.
Quote:
Compare this to what happens in major cities during power outages, when there are no traffic lights. No accidents! People are suddenly forced to become considerate of others in order to make the system work; and guess what, they DO.
Only as long as the outage is temporary. If all lights were replaced with signs, people would resume "trying to get ahead of the crowd," and things would get ugly again.
Bitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2003, 11:30 PM   #20
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

If we were all using the Segways, this wouldnt be a problem.

(I havent used the Segway in a post for a while so there it is)
Old 01-07-2003, 12:24 AM   #21
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I dunno about that ...

If we were all using Segways, then we'd likely have to learn a whole new batch of road rules. Might be a lot of confusion at first.

Imagine a 10 Segway pileup. And if someone forgot their helmet ... ooh, not pretty!

Also, a Segway would probably not be my first choice in a snowstorm. Unless they are coming out with an offroad edition anytime soon ...

Old 01-07-2003, 05:30 AM   #22
dave

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
The facts don't support red light running as an major problem or a major cause of accidents or injuries.
I have almost been T-bone'd <b>twice</b> by some asshole running a red light. So yeah, it's a problem.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:09 AM   #23
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by slang

Kinda like this? (insert sweet picture of someone hauling ass)
That picture just fucking rules. I don't know why, but it struck me as particularly brilliant. Could be the herbs. Anyway, it's a very cool pic. I had to save it.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 06:26 AM   #24
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
If we were all using the Segways, this wouldnt be a problem.

(I havent used the Segway in a post for a while so there it is)
BTW Segways are now available at amazon.com
Old 01-07-2003, 06:43 AM   #25
smalland
Aggregate Aggravator

On being ticketed

As far as I know, when you get a police citation, you are being invited to settle with the police. If you pay the fine, you won't be sued for your offense. Technically, there is no requirement that a police officer be there in person.

You can always choose not to pay your fine, and you probably will be duly charged in a court of law. Then it will be your word against the police's word. In the case of speed cameras, the jury will have to decide whether they think you were breaking the law on the basis of evidence from the speed camera.

Your call.

s.
smalland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 11:45 AM   #26
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
I have almost been T-bone'd <b>twice</b> by some asshole running a red light. So yeah, it's a problem.
I don't doubt that this is a problem. If I had encountered similar close calls I'd be a lot more sensitive about the red light thing. All of the accidents and close calls I've had have been involved me getting hit from behind. I've had 3 major crashes, all of which people hit my car. All hit from behind, 2 hit in the road as I was waiting to turn left, one klobbered parked.

So, I guess I'm overly sensitive to rear end collisions.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:47 AM   #27
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by quzah
That picture just fucking rules.
I'm glad I found something you liked. I know the hunting pics dont seem to make you too happy.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:50 AM   #28
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by wolf
I Also, a Segway would probably not be my first choice in a snowstorm. Unless they are coming out with an offroad edition anytime soon ...
The wheels are 12 or 14 inches in diameter. Snow probably wouldnt practical for the Segway, BUT, when the demand is strong enough there will be tire chains available for them.
Old 01-07-2003, 11:59 AM   #29
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally posted by Griff
BTW Segways are now available at amazon.com
I've seen that. The preproduction orders have been strong. As soon as the price comes down I will have one. I might go as high as 3k. Time will tell.

If you guys think I post dorky pictures now, just wait til I get a Segway. I already have some pics in mind.

Slang on Segway shooting a pistol
Slang on Segway eating a hoagie
Slang on Segway attempting to climb stairs
Slang on Segway riding on the double line on main st.
Slang on Segway shopping at Walmart
Slang on Segway riding on the high school football field

Slang on Segway being arrested by the local law enforcement.

Last edited by slang; 01-07-2003 at 12:31 PM.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2003, 12:40 PM   #30
russotto
Professor

They stuck one of those billboards on a local road (speed limit 25) near me. I think I managed to get it up to 32mph. On inline skates (didn't have my speed skates with me, alas)
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote