Old 01-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #106
student poop
I gotta wand all right. biggest one you've ever seen

I said WHATS A F**KING FEMINIST???
student poop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #107
rkzenrage

Dictionary.com

You may also want to look into some Prozac.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:43 PM   #108
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by student poop View Post

Belonging to movements and ideas which advocate the rights of women to have equal opportunities to those possessed by men.
Old 01-08-2007, 12:48 PM   #109
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by student poop View Post
Right now I'd define it as "someone who is telling you to shut the fuck up, get out a dictionary, and try not to be such an ass the next time you come around here." Idgit. Sheesh, from what hills did you roll out?
Old 01-08-2007, 01:15 PM   #110
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil
it is a fact that women ARE held back by the old boy network, the private mens' clubs, the businessMENS associations, etc., so dotn you fuckin dare call me condescending. I spent 8 years working for the rights of Prostitiute women and I've witnessed first hand the prejudices women face when trying to get a foot on the ladder.
Yes, I'm sure the prostitutes you were helping were being held back because they were women, and not because of low socioeconomic status, unfortunate circumstances, or working in an illegal profession.

I'm glad you support everyone's right to choose their own future. And for all I know, the "businessmen's" associations in Wales are discriminatory and sexist. But I disagree that it is the same in the US.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 01:19 PM   #111
Phil
Hoodoo Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Yes, I'm sure the prostitutes you were helping were being held back because they were women, and not because of low socioeconomic status, unfortunate circumstances, or working in an illegal profession.

I'm glad you support everyone's right to choose their own future. And for all I know, the "businessmen's" associations in Wales are discriminatory and sexist. But I disagree that it is the same in the US.
many of the women were educated, nurses, university students, but stereotyping always takes precedence.

i apologise for writing with anger in my previous post, but i get protective about my client group.
Old 01-08-2007, 07:50 PM   #112
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

prostitution is not illegal in the UK (or Wales)
Old 01-08-2007, 10:45 PM   #113
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf View Post
Didn't you know? It's feminist conventional wisdom. That there is no documentable evidence of this it's because:

1) Scribes and historians and archeologists are primarily male and have a male-dominant agenda to fulfill.

2) Matriarchal societies did not have an alphabet or keep written records. The alphabet killed the Goddess, as every good feminist knows.
That's an interesting answer, but a better answer is, "read more history books," because there is documentation.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2007, 10:59 PM   #114
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Cite.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:50 PM   #115
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Just research Native American, African and Chinese cultures--there's plenty of stuff out there taught in anthropology classes.

Is it really that hard to believe that many cultures had matriarchal societies?
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:07 AM   #116
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

To a man it probably would be. Don't be too hard on them, they can't help it.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:32 AM   #117
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Didn't you know? It's feminist conventional wisdom. That there is no documentable evidence of this it's because:

1) Scribes and historians and archeologists are primarily male and have a male-dominant agenda to fulfill.

2) Matriarchal societies did not have an alphabet or keep written records. The alphabet killed the Goddess, as every good feminist knows.
I don't know about worldwide, but in Western Europe, after the 'fall' of Rome, the pagan cultures were mainly pre-literate, they memorialised their world in sagas and oral traditions. Then the Christianising missionaries introduced the written word (including the development of several alphabets to allow dissemination of holy texts in the vernacular). The problem was not just that the people writing were men......more specifically they were monks and clerics. Unless you stretch way back into the Roman Empire, the only written sources for much of the 'dark ages' and early medieval period in Europe are religious in character, and that religion had what modern tastes would consider to be a strange attitude to women.

Added to that is the fact that such writing recorded only hagiographical, rather than sociological history: the vast majority of men and women were not accounted for by such works. Unless one was a member of the ruling elite, either secular or ecclesiastical, then one was unlikely to ever be mentioned in those texts.

In classical antiquity, writers recorded natural history and observation, military campaigns, plays, comedies, tragedies etc etc. The introduction of the written word with Christianity, was a much more narrow affair. Given that in many areas women were generally, by default, of a lower societal value than men, and that the peasant class (which consitituted the majority of the population) was of a lower social class than the kings/chiefs/lords they lived under, it stands to reason neither would feature heavily in hagiographical texts. (there are of course exceptions)

During the classical period, women were written about as indeed were Goddesses. It wasn't the written word that killed the Goddess....it was the proumulgation of holy texts.

That said, I may well read that book. I am prepared to be proved wrong on this.

Last edited by DanaC; 01-09-2007 at 04:49 AM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:44 AM   #118
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Incidentally, just as an aside:

We've talked a lot on these boards about the effect of religion on womens' social roles. We've also talked a good deal about the different types of religion, including that of Islam.

So, here is a quick run down of how Islam responded to women, in its earliest guise.

From the Qur'an, describing the day of judgement:

Quote:
When the sun shall be darkened, when stars shall be thrown down....when the buried infant shall be asked for what sin she was killed.....a soul shall know what it has produced' (81:1-14)
The buried infant, the victim of infanticide, would normally have been a girl. By banning infanticide, the Qur'an increases the value of girls in the eyes of the faithful and gave girls and women a new dignity. Though it allowed for polygyny, it limited this to four wives at one time and stipulated that they be treated equally (a serious improvement on the status quo)It mandated dowries and offered some females inheritence rights. Even the practice of men and women praying separately was a later addition (8th Century).
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #119
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecuracao View Post
Just research Native American, African and Chinese cultures--there's plenty of stuff out there taught in anthropology classes.

Is it really that hard to believe that many cultures had matriarchal societies?
No, it's neither hard to find or believe. They have reoccurred repeatedly, throughout history, and have but one thing in common....they're all history....they all failed.
All the matriarchal societies have fallen by the wayside because they couldn't sustain themselves, couldn't defend themselves. Sure, they might have been progressive, nurturing, peaceful, utopias....but that doesn't do them a bit of good if they can't fend off aggressive neighbors. Blame the neighbors all you want, it's still the reality of history, none of them strong were enough to survive.
Old 01-09-2007, 12:13 PM   #120
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

And the neighbors were aggressive, marauding, egocentric males, so it's really no surprise.

The more things change...