The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 01-09-2006, 11:40 PM   #151
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

The Ultimate Book of Perfect Energy has some good grammar lessons, though unfortunately sales are currently suspended. Here's the most famous.

And a new one, for Canadians!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:03 PM   #152
Frenchie
O_o

Yeah, Urbane Guerilla, Jaguar was right....since ignoramus wasn't a Latin 2nd declension masculine noun with the -us ending, it doesn't make sense that the plural would be ignorami....it's form the verb ignorare, and its ending is -mus, the 1st person plural. So the plural is ignoramuses.
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2006, 05:28 PM   #153
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Wecome to the Cellar, Frenchie.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:00 PM   #154
busterb
NSABFD

I have no place in this thread.
Old 12-29-2006, 06:06 PM   #155
rkzenrage

Not a mispronounced word. Not words... and never will be
I instantly lose respect and think less of the intellegence of those who use the non-words:
irregardless & proactive.

There is a difference between British and Trans-Atlantic, British is not necessarily "right", Trans is also correct.
Old 12-29-2006, 10:41 PM   #156
Frenchie
O_o

Oh and on the actual subject of the board, this isn't a commonly mispronounced word (I hope), but once I heard someone pronounce icicle as "iss-ickle"...I nearly gagged
Frenchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:17 AM   #157
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

I once mispronounced "Yes, I love you too, dear" by saying "Would you move your ass? I can't see the TV!"

They sound so similar............

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:23 AM   #158
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

proactive is a word. It's in the dictionary. It might be a modern addition, but language is constantly developing and new words being added all the time.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 09:55 AM   #159
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

The way 'herb' is commonly mispronounced 'erb with emphasis on the fact of the dropped aitch, as though the speaker is somehow trying to make a point.

The word then emerges as Urb.... Can anyone explain it?
Old 12-30-2006, 10:15 AM   #160
DanaC

That's just the way it's pronounced in some places I think. That's one of the problems with pronunciation, particularly in a language like English. Regional accents and dialects which have evolved separately mean that people from one part of the English speaking world may well pronounce things entirely differently to someone else from a different place.

Some words are mispronounced because the speaker has only seen the word printed rather than having heard it spoken, but with something like 'herb' I doubt that's the case.

I believe sounding the 'h' in herb is a British pronunciation, but even within Britian it varies.
Old 12-30-2006, 10:20 AM   #161
DanaC

Ha. Okay I went searching:

Herb

The word herb, which can be pronounced with or without the (h), is one of a number of words borrowed into English from French. The (h) sound had been lost in Latin and was not pronounced in French or the other Romance languages, which are descended from Latin, although it was retained in the spelling of some words. In both Old and Middle English, however, h was generally pronounced, as in the native English words happy and hot. Through the influence of spelling, then, the h came to be pronounced in most words borrowed from French, such as haste and hostel. In a few other words borrowed from French the h has remained silent, as in honor, honest, hour, and heir. And in another small group of French loan words, including herb, humble, human, and humor, the h may or may not be pronounced depending on the dialect of English. In British English, herb and its derivatives, such as herbaceous, herbal, herbicide, and herbivore, are pronounced with h. In American English, herb and herbal are more often pronounced without the h, while the opposite is true of herbaceous, herbicide, and herbivore, which are more often pronounced with the h.
Old 12-30-2006, 06:08 PM   #162
CzinZumerzet
.....short for Caz

Dana that's all fab and not a systemic explanation I have seen before, but imediately reminded me of "'umble, very very 'umble" but at this moment the Dickens character escapes me ... Heap? Uriah Heap...? Or 'eap.

My cockney late husband used to talk about 'ammerin' hup the hautobahn' on his return from a football match somewhere in the old West Germany, when all of the aitches were transposed - shifted abaht

Down here in the West its a whole different ball-game, as is the case for -I guess- all of the UK Cellarites. Vive la difference, it all adds colour and variety.

My condolences by the way on the loss of your friend. I am playing catch up as usual.
Old 12-30-2006, 08:07 PM   #163
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

Well, tbh, I think that all'n'all this thread has shown that all UK residents are incapable of mis-prouncitation..... ( with the notable exception of those born in Essex)......
Old 01-09-2007, 04:33 AM   #164
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Not a mispro, but the American Dialect Society, which keeps an eye on the evolution of the language, voted the verb "to Pluto" as their je-ne-sais-quoi ineffable word of the year. It means to demote or devalue someone or something. It won out over such runners-up as "climate canary," an organism or species whose poor health or declining numbers hint at a larger environmental catastrophe on the horizon, and "murse" for a man's purse, and "flog" for a fake blog. "Macaca" gets a definition: an American citizen treated like an alien.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:35 AM   #165
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

One word that I hear mispronounced on telly all the time is car-A-mel. So many shows of US origin have people prounouncing it as carmel.

What happened to the A?