Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 11-08-2006, 07:18 PM   #16
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams
Obviously things are different. You imply in your statements that stay at home parents are lazy and working parents are not. Just out of curiosity have you tried to raise a child? No I don't mean that in a confrontational way, I am just curious...(huge snip).
I tried soooo hard to cover my bases, as I have nothing for respect for parents that stay at home to raise their children. I dont respect (and this is a problem down here) the people that have children to collect the gov benefits and bonus, then get a free pass to not seeking work.

These are the people I was referring to when I made the genetics comment.

I DONT think parents that stay at home are lazy at all. I currently have 2 live in ruggies aged 20mths and 3yrs. They are in my full time care, I work full time.

They are in Family Day Care, which is governed by the child care body, but is done through a family and as the boys have been there since the were very little, its like their extended family.

They have organised activities each week that means they mix with alot of other kids, but basically its a *home* environment.

It works for us.

I am NOT stay at home Mum material, its just the way I am. Does that mean (when I am parenting) I wont be as good a parent as someone who is willing to stay at home with their children.....I'd like to think not.

JD - I didnt take any of your post to be attacking.

Last edited by DucksNuts; 11-08-2006 at 07:22 PM.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:48 PM   #17
Pie
Gone and done

Hey, both my parents worked. I was in daycare from an early age, and did really well with it. My mother still had the biggest impact on my life, of any person on the globe. I'm pretty sure we both would have been scarred by any more quality time with each other!
YMMV.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:42 PM   #18
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

They Australian system is very generous. This is mostly due to the fact that our population growth is almost at a standstill, so apart from imigration, our population is not growing. Long term, this leads to serious social issues with the younger generations having to somehow provide for the older ones with social services etc.

In my opinion with regard to childcare centres, as most parents do, I believe the maximum amount of time should be spent with kids, otherwise, as has been mentioned, why bother having them?

Speaking for myself, my kids have had daycare in the past while I was a single parent and either working or studying full time. Both of my sons are doing very well for themselves both socially and academically. In fact, my oldest is in the top 5% for his agegroup with numeroucy and is reading at 15yr old level. He is ten. My 9yr old is achieving highly in maths and is reading at 13yr old level. He's in the middle of the first book in LOTR atm.

Do I think they've suffered as a result of having people other than parents care for them? No. Do I think they've benefited? Maybe, although I don't think it's made that much difference.

As to parents having a coffee while their kids are in daycare? Well, I think that's been covered already.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:28 PM   #19
Hoof Hearted
...you smell something?

I would like to bring up that parenting is what you do with your children while you are with them, regardless of whether they are in school or daycare...it is how you interact with them at home where the most benefit lies.

Quality time with the quantity of time you spend with them.

Are they parked in front of the TV? Video games? Doing their own thing (reading, homework, talk on phone) in their rooms?
vs
Homework at the kitchen table as meal is being cooked or parent helping w/ homework? Family eat together at the table? Watch TV/movie as a family? Play interactive games like cards, puzzles and such?

That is where I see the biggest difference.
Old 11-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #20
Aliantha

When I think of myself as a parent, time with my kids is important. As is providing for all their other needs as well. Finding the balance is the hard part, and really, I think that's what lots of other parents find too. You want them to have nice stuff, and to be proud of themselves etc, but you also want them to be emotionally secure too which means time and encouragement. Giving them the correct ratio of time vs providing for is hard.
Old 11-09-2006, 12:10 AM   #21
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

We've did day care for a while but eventually, mommie quit work and hasn't looked back.

There's pros and cons to each and I'm always leery of anyone who says one way is better than the other. As if they've worn every pair of shoes ever made.
Old 11-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #22
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beestie
We've did day care for a while but eventually, mommie quit work and hasn't looked back.

There's pros and cons to each and I'm always leery of anyone who says one way is better than the other. As if they've worn every pair of shoes ever made.

Well said. That's the same situation we are in. Daycare first, then stay at home. Each has its benefits and drawbacks.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 AM   #23
fargon
Person who doesn't update the user title

I am a single parent, even though my kids are grown and gone, I can feel for some people. My boys were the center of my universe. They never went to day care, I had a married room mate, And she took care of all the children in the household. While I may not have been there personally, I was never more than a phone call away. I was always their on weekends and we went biking and fishing allot. when I was able to get out of construction I did and was home every nite, we did homework together, and we would read to one another. I over heard a woman complaining about the amount of homework the kids were getting and how it cut into her weekend entertainment, because she wanted to throw house parties, and go out on the river. Evidently she is to important to mother her children. And wonders why her kids are in so much trouble in school...
Heavily medicated for the good of mankind.
fargon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 11:15 PM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Adams
Well it is official: I am a complete and utter asshole. Yes that's right. I could not be a bigger asshole if I tried. I have just found out that the father/husband is currently deployed in Iraq. I am the lowest of low. My deepest and most sincere apologies to the person I was originally going off at. How I could be that incredibly judgemental of a family making such a huge sacrifice, it is just unacceptable.
And yes I also agree that some kids are better off in day care for the same reason.
Not really, JA. Just because the father/husband is in the service doesn't give the wife/mother a pass on taking care of the spawn. The other facts of the situation are what should determine if she's being a bad mom, not her husbands deployment. Go easy on yourself.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 AM   #25
Aliantha

Let's all just go easy and stop being judgemental - emphasis on the mental.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:15 AM   #26
Aliantha

Actually, if you go too easy, you're likely to get a reputation, so don't be too easy, or people will call you a slut, and we can't have that happening on a MB.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:13 PM   #27
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

pissed Ali?
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:59 PM   #28
Aliantha

I wish I was right now. In fact, it's after 12. I think I'll pour myself a drink!