The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-09-2005, 03:31 AM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

9-11 Memorial (Norristown, Pennsylvania)

Dedication of the 9-11 Memorial in Norristown, Pennsylvania. September 8, 2005.

Flags were flying everywhere.

Even the County flag (the imagery includes agriculture, transportation, and technology) was snapping in the breeze.

There were only a few people with direct Montgomery County connections that perished in the World Trade Center on September 11, 2001. A few, however, were too many.

Norristown was one of the cities in the United States that were selected to receive a piece of the wreckage of what had been the World Trade Center. One of the I-Beams was given to the city, and a decision was made to have a piece of art prepared with the I-Beam as a centerpiece of the work.

A lot has been going on behind the scenes related to the I-Beam. A selection committee chose a sculptor, Sassona Norton, who saw life and hope, as well as destruction in the twisted piece of metal that ended up in her studio. The I-Beam is barely recognizable as such.

I spent the early part of today at the Montgomery County Courthouse observing the dedication, as a guest of the County Commissioners. I had an actual invite. I didn’t just crash the party. I was in VIP seating along with other members of the Montgomery County Critical Incident Stress Management Team.

There was the usual assortment bagpipes, speeches, and a very beautiful rendition of the Star Spangled Banner (in a singable key, no less) by the Montgomery County Courthouse Choir , and a recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance (under God intact version).

As is customary for such events, the “guest of honor” waited patiently for it’s grand entrance.

Last edited by wolf; 09-09-2005 at 03:34 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 03:32 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

9-11 Memorial (Norristown, Pennsylvania) Part II

The press corps were very much in attendance. I occasionally wondered if they were going to shove each other off the piece of the courthouse steps that they were occupying.

The usual amount of dignitaries were in attendance. In the foreground you can see “Judges’ Row.” Court was in recess through the Dedication. I have no idea what was up with the dude sitting next to Joe Hoeffel, the former Congressman. He sat like that through the whole thing. He should have tried the Gold Bond Medicated Powder, I guess.

One of the most heartfelt and tear-inducing speeches was that of Ralph Maerz, whose son died in one of the towers.

Most of the speeches were even good. I‘m not just saying that because I have a personal connection to two of the speakers, Steve Pulley, D.O., is the Chief of the Montgomery County CISM team, and The Reverend Helen M.C. Jones is one of our Chaplains. We decided that Helen had the most happening hair of the day.

The project was spearheaded by one of the County Commissioners, James Matthews (center). If he looks familiar, it’s probably because you’ve seen his brother. Chris. Still not getting it? Chris Matthews from Hardball.

Last edited by wolf; 09-09-2005 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:33 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

9-11 Memorial (Norristown, Pennsylvania) Part III

The unveiling was accomplished with the usual amount of fanfare, and the usual minor technical difficulty. The drape didn’t drop the first time the big red button got pushed.

But it did eventually come down, giving the first breathtaking glimpse of the statue.

Remember how I told you the I-Beam didn’t look much like an I-Beam anymore? This is how it came off the pile. The only requirement to the artist was that the I-Beam had to be incorporated into the work. Her concept built around it in a rather astonishing way.

The hands cupping the beam are weathered … worker’s hands, fireman’s hands … the nails are chipped and broken, ragged, not manicured, lines of heavy work evident in them, but these rough hands so gently cradle the flame-like girder, offering it upward, in an expression of hope.

I can’t remember a darn thing the artist said about her work, but that’s what impressed me about it when I first saw it. It’s extraordinary.

(I need to go back and try for these shots again, without the scaffolding.)

My buds … The Montgomery County CISM Team (from Left to Right Joan, Christine, Bobbie, Steve, Beth, and Me.)

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
Old 09-09-2005, 05:46 AM   #4
Griff
still says videotape

Wow, she really captured the feeling of that horrible day. That is really powerful.
Old 09-09-2005, 05:59 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Agreed...and excellent coverage of the dedication.
Old 09-09-2005, 06:01 AM   #6
itsjulie
Vice-President of Resentment

What amazing pictures and an absolutely amazing statue.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:12 AM   #7
barefoot serpent
go ahead, abbrev. it

Thanks. I very much want to visit this memorial someday.
barefoot serpent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 10:13 AM   #8
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ditto. i got chills. outstanding wolf. well done!
Old 09-09-2005, 11:43 AM   #9
marichiko

Very powerful, Wolf! Good work covering the dedication, too.
Old 09-09-2005, 12:42 PM   #10
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Thanks for sharing, Wolf.
Old 09-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I loved all the clear, crisp pics, but, natch, the funnest was seeing a smiling, happy wolf! Great pic, wolfie! You look so happy!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 02:41 PM   #12
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Thank you wolf for the nice pictures, the clear thoughtful reporting, and for caring enough to share this with us.
Old 09-10-2005, 02:22 AM   #13
wolf
lobber of scimitars

You're welcome all! And thanks, everyone for your comments.

And actually, just for looking.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-12-2005, 11:54 AM   #14
Just Joan
Kinda New Member

9/11 Memorial dedication

Hi Bud. The pix are great. I'll send mine today.
Joan
Just Joan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2005, 01:07 PM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Welcome aboard, Joanie!! Why dincha sign in under your special name, Bubble Butt??

Check out some of the other discussions hereabouts ... there's always something of interest going on.