The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 08-12-2005, 08:42 AM   #16
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

often

Two points:

(1) I live near Manchester, NH, and our neighborhood happens to have 5 pilots. They've all had their planes hit by lightning.

(2) I've had it come up through my feet and out my hands before, when it struck my driveway about 50 feet away from where I was standing. Knocked me to the ground. Yep, dumbass here was standing INSIDE his slightly-wet concrete-floored GARAGE (watching the electrical storm) when I picked up a FIBERGLASS broom handle with plastic whiskers, to give a couple quick pushes to a puddle that was forming at the edge of the garage, just underneath the garage door (rain was pouring, and some of it making it inside the threshold). Yes, VERY un-smart. Bolt likely ran through water channels underground, only to jump up through my feet and out my hands. Had 5-6 quick jolts in succession, HURT. Was fine.

-mike
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:12 AM   #17
Slurpy
Recruit or Something

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandman
Two points:

(1) I live near Manchester, NH, and our neighborhood happens to have 5 pilots. They've all had their planes hit by lightning.

(2) I've had it come up through my feet and out my hands before, when it struck my driveway about 50 feet away from where I was standing. Knocked me to the ground. Yep, dumbass here was standing INSIDE his slightly-wet concrete-floored GARAGE (watching the electrical storm) when I picked up a FIBERGLASS broom handle with plastic whiskers, to give a couple quick pushes to a puddle that was forming at the edge of the garage, just underneath the garage door (rain was pouring, and some of it making it inside the threshold). Yes, VERY un-smart. Bolt likely ran through water channels underground, only to jump up through my feet and out my hands. Had 5-6 quick jolts in succession, HURT. Was fine.

-mike
Lucky escape...

That'll teach you for trying to use any sort of cleaning device...
Slurpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 09:49 AM   #18
glatt

My aunt sometimes tells the story of when she was washing her hair in the kitchen sink during a thunderstorm. Lightning struck the hill behind her house. Some of the current found the pipe that leads from the natural spring on the hill down to the house. She gets a shock that throws her across the room and splatters shampoo foam all over the walls and ceiling of the kitchen. She was stunned, but otherwise OK.

I annoy my wife and kids, because I won't let them use the bathroom during a thunderstorm. Something about those cast iron vent pipes poking up slightly into the sky above the roof of our house makes me nervous.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:25 AM   #19
mlandman
Coronation Incarnate

and to boot...

I had one of these taken OUT of my arm just 5 days prior: youch!

I shudder to think of what would have happened if it was in my arm at the time all the electricity ran through it.

lol probably nothing, I don't really understand ohms vs volts vs capacitance, etc, but still the thought scares me....

-mike
mlandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2005, 10:10 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredorpaul
ahhahaha first off have you ever been near a thunder storm, and second did you see the gifs??

No trust me even if the the pax didn't see the strike they sure as hell heard and probably felt it(imagine the turbulence caused by something that can be heard several miles away???

also as someone who has seen first hand what lighting strikes can do to a plane, ill tell you right now that it left holes somewhere not to mention burnt a bunch of the little rods that are place on the end of the control surfaces for just such occasions clean off.

worst case scenario plane went down. More likely it caused the electrical systems problems and popped a couple of breakers, which the pilots can quickly correct. Seeing how it stuck it might of damaged the radar.
Welcome to the Cellar, Fredorpaul.
I'm sure the passengers both saw the flash and heard the thunder but that doesn't mean they knew it hit the plane. It happens all the time.
These little rods on the end of the control surfaces? What surfaces? I've built leading and trailing edges for 757s and 767s and never seen them.
The plane didn't go down but you're probably right about the breakers. That's one of the reasons for so much redundancy. That's also one of the things that bothers me about the fly by wire systems that have pervaded commercial planes.
The radar domes being composite, wouldn't the lightning strike further back?
Old 08-20-2005, 07:46 AM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredorpaul
snip~~ not to mention burnt a bunch of the little rods that are place on the end of the control surfaces for just such occasions clean off.~~snip
I've found a picture of "the little rods" on some of the edges and engine mounts.
I'm told they are to dissipate static charge built up from the air moving over the surfaces.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:55 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote