The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > The Internet

The Internet Web sites, web development, email, chat, bandwidth, the net and society

Old 08-22-2019, 07:25 AM   #2506
glatt

I looked into that Goodwill number when my aunt posted something similar to FB, and it's totally wrong.

Goodwill stores are run indepently by their community level org and each one has different numbers. There is no CEO. It's complicated. I find they are an awesome place to get rid of stuff, and also shop for specific items for pennies on the dollar.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:07 PM   #2507
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

This article says...

Quote:
And what about the president and CEO of Goodwill Industries International, whose name is not Mark Curran, but Jim Gibbons—is he a billionaire, as one of our readers alleged?

While there’s no easy way to confirm Gibbons’s exact net worth, the organization does report his annual salary. Based on those reports, Gibbons has earned more than $700,000 a year since taking the job in 2008.
I pointed out to the person who sent me that chart that Goodwill also does training and gives work experience to otherwise unemployable folks. They also make it easier to offload usable stuff you don't want to trash than anyone else. They'll take anything except TVs and atomic weapons.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:42 PM   #2508
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

we've pretty much reached the top: time to climb back down

https://1stamender.com/images/articl...alismNiseb.png
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2019, 01:45 PM   #2509
henry quirk

here's another...

https://1stamender.com/article.php?articlenumber=1450
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2019, 01:59 PM   #2510
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Clause 1. The Congress shall have Power to lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 07:02 PM   #2511
Griff
still says videotape

Thomas Paine (a founding father) -" Men did not make the earth... It is the value of the improvements only, and not the earth itself, that is individual property. ... Every proprietor owes to the community a ground rent for the land which he holds."

Can I use this appeal to authority to knock down your appeal to authority?
Old 08-22-2019, 08:07 PM   #2512
henry quirk

Is this...

"Can I use this appeal to authority to knock down your appeal to authority?"

...directed at me?

If so: I've made no appeal to authority.

As for Paine: he's entitied to his opinion. I don't agree with it.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:23 PM   #2513
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

But I don't want to go back to horses, been there done that, so roads is a must.
Ike agreed, roads with a 14 ft overhead clearance, later revised to 16 ft.

Fire protection is a real good idea, nice to have your house saved when your neighbor's burns down.

Unemployment insurance saved my ass once, that was welcome. Over the years I paid more in than I got out, but I'm OK with that.

Social Security? If we get rid of that a lot of old people would die and the roads less crowded.

Universal healthcare would bring the costs way down without beating up the doctors and nurses who actually take care of us. The health insurance companies would be the losers, but serves them right for driving the price up. The same thing is happening with pet health insurance, they're driving the costs up so less people will take a chance on not having it on Fido and Pussy.

Limited room & board? I don't want to see people dying or even fainting in the streets, holds up traffic you know.

Free college? I don't like it, in that it tells people every kid must go to college to get a job. That's a bad thing, because as soon as they graduate they expect a 9 to 5 office job. Not enough of those to go around, and what good is that 4 year diploma when you have no skill? Who's going to do all the jobs that take skill? It amounts to four more years of fucking off before you have to get on with growing up.

Room and board for all, good grief, that has never worked anywhere unless you're royalty. Peel me a grape.

edit : Shouldn't that be servitute, not serveitute?

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 08-22-2019 at 11:33 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 12:01 AM   #2514
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The founding fathers lived in a time of scarcity. This is an entirely different era, 15 generations past. Back then there was no retirement, the average life span was 40. There was very little healthcare.

We should ask the founding fathers what their government should manage if they were all rich beyond their wildest imaginations.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 09:06 AM   #2515
henry quirk

"But I don't want to go back to horses, been there done that, so roads is a must."

We have an extensive road network. You think all that disappears cuz a town, a city, a region, a state, a nation goes minarchistic?

#

"Fire protection is a real good idea, nice to have your house saved when your neighbor's burns down."

Sure, but does it have to be provided by gov?

#

"Unemployment insurance saved my ass once, that was welcome. Over the years I paid more in than I got out, but I'm OK with that."

Why can't UI be private?

#

"Social Security? If we get rid of that a lot of old people would die and the roads less crowded."

Oh, gettin' rid of it now would be a royal pain. it's part of the weave of things. If such a thing had never been introduced, folks woulda never have come to rely on it. First step: lettin' folks opt out of it. SS is makin' with the death rattle already. An opt out would cover the current crop of recipients while telegraphin' to would-be recipients SS has a finite shelf life.

#

"Universal healthcare would bring the costs way down without beating up the doctors and nurses who actually take care of us. The health insurance companies would be the losers, but serves them right for driving the price up. The same thing is happening with pet health insurance, they're driving the costs up so less people will take a chance on not having it on Fido and Pussy."

Insurance shouldn't be mandatory for anything. Costs should be dynamic, determined by that old austrian debbil 'supply & demand'. And: it's not 'health care', it's medical care; it's service like any other, not a 'right'.

I've been uninsured since the ACA was laid down and I've had 'issues'. I shopped around and pinched my pennies like I do buyin' anything.

#

"Limited room & board? I don't want to see people dying or even fainting in the streets, holds up traffic you know."

Get thee to a charity, Bruce.

#

"Free college? I don't like it"

Sumthin' we agree on.

#

"Room and board for all, good grief, that has never worked anywhere unless you're royalty. Peel me a grape. "

Agreed. Down on your luck? Associated Catholic Charities can help. They won't prosthelytize (too much).

#

"Shouldn't that be servitute, not serveitute?"

Take it up with Cato (or Brutus).
Old 08-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #2516
henry quirk

"We should ask the founding fathers what their government should manage if they were all rich beyond their wildest imaginations."

Some would go 'big & bold', others would opt for 'small & restrained'.

Let's consult a medium and find out.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:33 AM   #2517
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

As a thought experiment, which founding father would deny education to a nation so rich it only takes a small fraction of its wealth to educate every single citizen?

It seems pretty obvious to me that it would always be more expensive to try to address the problems that result from a lack of education/basic socialization. Whether you try to address those problems via government, or not.

As another thought experiment, which nation has succeeded globally without it?

We're in a new world, now, man.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:01 AM   #2518
henry quirk

which is 'better'...

...education provided for and overseen locally...

...or...

...education provided for and overseen non-locally?

...education standards set by a community...

...or...

...education standards set in the state house?

...teachers who teach kids...

...or...

...teachers who teach how to pass mandated 'tests'?

Last edited by henry quirk; 08-23-2019 at 10:17 AM. Reason: self-correction
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:06 AM   #2519
henry quirk

and: i didn't post the venns to make it about the 'fathers' (who weren't minarchists or classic liberals). i posted the venns (two of 'em) to show the spectrum of things gov-wise.

if i'd known there'd be a fixatin' on the 'fathers' i'd have left the second venn out.

live & learn.
Old 08-24-2019, 02:14 AM   #2520
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post
"But I don't want to go back to horses, been there done that, so roads is a must."

We have an extensive road network. You think all that disappears cuz a town, a city, a region, a state, a nation goes minarchistic?
Yes, I've seen roads in PA and NJ deteriorate in 3 months so they weren't passable at more than 25 mph.

Quote:
"Fire protection is a real good idea, nice to have your house saved when your neighbor's burns down."

Sure, but does it have to be provided by gov?
Who's going to do it? I grew up with a town volunteer Fire Department who put out many grass fires around houses that burned down. It structure fires seconds count is not just a slogan. The fire department usually has an ambulance with full time EMTs. Much faster than Uber to the hospital.

Quote:
"Unemployment insurance saved my ass once, that was welcome. Over the years I paid more in than I got out, but I'm OK with that."

Why can't UI be private?
Because it becomes too fucking expensive when only a few are in it, without adding the profit margin. You know, that little item every business needs to continue.

Quote:
"Social Security? If we get rid of that a lot of old people would die and the roads less crowded."

Oh, gettin' rid of it now would be a royal pain. it's part of the weave of things. If such a thing had never been introduced, folks woulda never have come to rely on it. First step: lettin' folks opt out of it. SS is makin' with the death rattle already. An opt out would cover the current crop of recipients while telegraphin' to would-be recipients SS has a finite shelf life.
Right, they wouldn't come to rely on it, they'd just die like they used to.

Quote:
"Universal healthcare would bring the costs way down without beating up the doctors and nurses who actually take care of us. The health insurance companies would be the losers, but serves them right for driving the price up. The same thing is happening with pet health insurance, they're driving the costs up so less people will take a chance on not having it on Fido and Pussy."

Insurance shouldn't be mandatory for anything. Costs should be dynamic, determined by that old austrian debbil 'supply & demand'. And: it's not 'health care', it's medical care; it's service like any other, not a 'right'.

I've been uninsured since the ACA was laid down and I've had 'issues'. I shopped around and pinched my pennies like I do buyin' anything.
Fine when you boy is running 106 fever send out for bids.

Quote:
"Limited room & board? I don't want to see people dying or even fainting in the streets, holds up traffic you know."

Get thee to a charity, Bruce.
I don't need a charity but where do these people who do find one? thousands of people on the streets because they've no place to go. I'm not even counting the ones who prefer the street to shelters because it's safer.

Quote:

"Free college? I don't like it"

Sumthin' we agree on.
I'll bet for different reasons.

Quote:
"Room and board for all, good grief, that has never worked anywhere unless you're royalty. Peel me a grape. "

Agreed. Down on your luck? Associated Catholic Charities can help. They won't prosthelytize (too much).
OK, I googled Associated Catholic Charities. It gives me Baltimore and NYC as a footnote.
Sure is a passel of folks not close to those spots.

Quote:
"Shouldn't that be servitute, not serveitute?"

Take it up with Cato (or Brutus).
Cato or Brutus didn't write it, you did. That's why I asked you.
The internet says you're wrong but that's OK, you are used to being wrong.