The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 06-25-2018, 02:40 PM   #271
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

1st rule of camping: Forecast, check it.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 07:43 PM   #272
bbro
Insert witty comment here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
1st rule of camping: Forecast, check it.
I did. It was 30% chance. I chanced it. It turned to 50% chance. I am the rain queen
Old 06-25-2018, 09:32 PM   #273
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Camping in the rain is possible, trust me. But it's not easy or nice if you're not prepared. I don't know if it's my inner Boy Scout or my inner FAWET-fanatic, but being prepared for rain (or many other trip ruining calamities) is part of the pleasure. It sounds like you were able to weather the storm fairly well, though I wonder if the water/rain/sweat/stress diluted/removed your bug dope. Maybe you're just really tasty! Anyhow 100% DEET is the way to go for me. But then again, I've been told I have terrible taste.

DON'T GIVE UP!

Camping in the rain has joys most people never experience, like having the trail or campsite to yourself. Also, protip--after your self-massage with the DEET, wash your hands. That shit tastes like poison... (wonder why??)
Old 06-26-2018, 08:41 AM   #274
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Camping in the rain is possible, trust me. But it's not easy or nice if you're not prepared. I don't know if it's my inner Boy Scout or my inner FAWET-fanatic, but being prepared for rain (or many other trip ruining calamities) is part of the pleasure. It sounds like you were able to weather the storm fairly well, though I wonder if the water/rain/sweat/stress diluted/removed your bug dope. Maybe you're just really tasty! Anyhow 100% DEET is the way to go for me. But then again, I've been told I have terrible taste.

DON'T GIVE UP!

Camping in the rain has joys most people never experience, like having the trail or campsite to yourself. Also, protip--after your self-massage with the DEET, wash your hands. That shit tastes like poison... (wonder why??)
I actually liked it when I was in my hammock, under the rainfly. If I had bug netting, I probably would have toughed it out. I am 100% tasty to bugs. I was using 30% DEET spray. I sprayed it, rubbed it on, not 2 minutes later, I killed a bug biting my arm. I was feeling funky with so many applications. I am not sure DEET is good for me. I need to find my other stuff. It seems to work better, but I haven't used it in a situation like that.

I haven't given up yet! Hopefully the July trip will go well. It is in the mountains, so the bugs should be better. Now, if only the rain would stay away.....
Old 06-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #275
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbro View Post
I am the rain queen

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:38 PM   #276
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

WTF does FAWET mean?

Google does not enlighten.

Old 06-26-2018, 05:08 PM   #277
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

FAWET
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 05:21 PM   #278
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I am the rain queen
Hook up with the Fire King for a steamy relationship.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:37 AM   #279
Diaphone Jim
Junior Master Dwellar

This outfit is holding a campout for several hundred people near here this weekend.
https://www.tentsile.com/
Their products look like interesting alternatives to old technology.
All you need is three willing (and strong) trees. And money.
Diaphone Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 01:10 PM   #280
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Thank you very much!

Old 06-29-2018, 07:15 PM   #281
captainhook455
Rapscallion

Quote:
I actually liked it when I was in my hammock, under the rainfly. If I had bug netting, I probably would have toughed it out. I am 100% tasty to bugs. I was using 30% DEET spray. I sprayed it, rubbed it on, not 2 minutes later, I killed a bug biting my arm. I was feeling funky with so many applications. I am not sure DEET is good for me. I need to find my other stuff. It seems to work better, but I haven't used it in a situation like that.

I haven't given up yet! Hopefully the July trip will go well. It is in the mountains, so the bugs should be better. Now, if only the rain would stay away.....
Sooo back when I hiked the Smokies I bought an Army hammock from the military surplus store. It has a roof, skeetter screens, rain covers and everything zips from the inside or outside. Later when motorcycle camping is when I bought a tent.
captainhook455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:20 AM   #282
bbro

I realized I had a camping trip this upcoming weekend. Excitement ensued. Then, I checked the weather. Mother fucking rain. Again. Still on the fence about going or not. The problem is that I took a day off work. It's not that easy to switch them around. Which means if I try to camp there again, it will just be over night.

Why does the universe not want me to camp?
Old 07-17-2018, 09:02 AM   #283
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

One summer when I was working at the speed shop, the drag races got rained out 13 Sundays in a row.
Old 07-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #284
bbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
One summer when I was working at the speed shop, the drag races got rained out 13 Sundays in a row.
That sucks. Last weekend was gorgeous. Should've camped then. Probably would have still rained.

I'm trying to outsource the decision. So far it's 50/50. One for reschedule and one for go
Old 07-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #285
bbro

Quote:
That sucks. Last weekend was gorgeous. Should've camped then. Probably would have still rained.

I'm trying to outsource the decision. So far it's 50/50. One for reschedule and one for go
Fuck it. I'm going. I'm more prepared this time. I'll actually set up a tarp. At the worst, I'll be "stuck" in my hammock during the rain. oh no!