The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-27-2007, 09:19 AM   #1
Ibby
erika

HE'S GONE!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20459457/

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Embattled Attorney General Alberto Gonzales, under fire from congressional Democrats and even some Republicans, has resigned, senior Bush administration officials said Monday.

Gonzales spoke to President Bush by telephone on Friday and then visited him at his Crawford, Texas, ranch on Sunday where he formally submitted his letter of resignation, a senior administration official said.

“He (Bush) very reluctantly accepted it,” the official said.

Asked whether anyone from the White House had suggested that Gonzales resign, the official said: “It was his decision.”

The officials declined to be identified because the formal announcement about Gonzales was still pending.

Gonzales has scheduled a 10:30 a.m. ET statement at the Justice Department. NBC News reports Bush is also expected to make a statement about 11:50 a.m. ET, as he prepares to depart Waco for a fundraising event in Albuquerque, N.M.

The 51-year-old Bush loyalist was at the center of a political firestorm over the firings of eight federal prosecutors, which critics in Congress complained were politically motivated.

Schumer, Edwards react

Reaction from Democrats was swift.

“It has been a long and difficult struggle but at last, the attorney general has done the right thing and stepped down,” said Sen. Charles Schumer, a New York Democrat.

“We beseech the Administration to work with us to nominate someone whom Democrats can support and America can be proud of.”

“Better late than never,” said Democratic presidential candidate John Edwards, a former North Carolina senator.

A senior Justice Department official said that a likely temporary replacement for Gonzales is Solicitor General Paul Clement, who would take over until a permanent replacement is found.

Current and former administration officials had said the department’s integrity had been damaged under Gonzales with controversy over the firing of the prosecutors, his support for Bush’s warrantless domestic spying program and other issues.

They said as a result employee morale had been hurt and Gonzales’ relations with the Democratic-controlled Congress had deteriorated beyond repair in a firestorm of criticism from lawmakers, including some Republicans.

Drew fire from GOP's Specter

Several senators had said they had lost confidence in Gonzales and his ability to head the Justice Department.

Last month, in response to criticism by Republican Sen. Arlen Specter of Pennsylvania that the department was ”dysfunctional,” Gonzales told a congressional hearing “I have decided to stay and fix the problems.”

While acknowledging mistakes in the handling of the dismissals, Gonzales had denied the firings were politically motivated to influence federal probes involving Democratic or Republican lawmakers.

Bush has defended Gonzales and cited Gonzales’ rise as an achievement for Hispanics, the largest minority in the United States.

“I haven’t seen Congress say he’s done anything wrong,” Bush said at a recent news conference. “As a matter of fact, I believe we’re watching ... a political exercise.”

Gonzales worked for Bush when he was governor of Texas in the 1990s. He served as White House lawyer in Bush's first term as president before becoming the first Hispanic to serve as attorney general in February 2005.

Gonzales drew fire from civil liberties groups for writing in January 2002 that parts of the half-century-old Geneva Convention on the treatment of prisoners of war were "obsolete" and some provisions were "quaint."

He also was criticized for Bush's warrantless domestic spying program adopted after the Sept. 11 attacks. Only in January, in an abrupt reversal, did Gonzales say the program finally would be subject to court approval.
ABOUT FUCKIN' TIME.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:48 AM   #2
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Amen to that.
Old 08-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #3
glatt

Excellent. Of course, how excellent depends on who replaces him.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:08 AM   #4
yesman065
Banned - Self Imposed

Yeah, really - then again, whoever replaces may look like a champ just by default comparison.
yesman065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:09 AM   #5
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Don't knock it, that's usually how I end up looking like a champ.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:40 AM   #6
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

I wonder if this will be a precursor to Tuesday's headlines "hundreds of caucasion protestant male American citizen arrested without probably cause, based on warrentless wiretaps - habeus corpus suspended"
Old 08-27-2007, 10:59 AM   #7
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
I wonder if this will be a precursor to Tuesday's headlines "hundreds of caucasion protestant male American citizen arrested without probably cause, based on warrentless wiretaps - habeus corpus suspended"
Well if that happens you can thank the Demoncrats, they approved the program.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:02 PM   #8
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

Well I guess the guy that is temporarily replacing Gonzales graduated from my high school. Weird...
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 12:43 PM   #9
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesman065 View Post
Yeah, really - then again, whoever replaces may look like a champ just by default comparison.
Well, he made Ashcroft look like a champ. Hopefully, he'll also make his successor look like a champ instead of vice versa.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 02:23 AM   #10
JuancoRocks
Sir Post-A-Lot

HE'S GONE!

That's what happens when meeting the demands of the diversity scale is more important that the ability of the individual to perform the functions of the job.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:52 AM   #11
bluecuracao
in a mood, not cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey View Post
Well, he made Ashcroft look like a champ.
Don't know about that (remembering the silly quote of his), but...

It would be fun if Ashcroft tried out for American Idol. He's got a serious set of pipes on him.
bluecuracao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #12
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuancoRocks View Post
That's what happens when meeting the demands of the diversity scale is more important that the ability of the individual to perform the functions of the job.
I think it was a yes man thing not a diversity thing.
Old 08-29-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I got this in an email, so it must be true.....
Quote:
Gonzales to Spend More Time Eavesdropping on His Family
‘Domestic Surveillance Begins at Home,’ Former A.G. Says

Attorney General Alberto Gonzales resigned today, effective immediately, telling reporters that he wanted to spend more time eavesdropping on his family.

Mr. Gonzales, a champion of domestic surveillance and warrantless wiretaps while in office, said he was “totally stoked” about turning his prying eyes on his own family.

“Domestic surveillance begins at home,” Mr. Gonzales said at a White House press conference. “That means nobody in my family is above suspicion, not even the little ones,” an apparent reference to Mr. Gonzales’ children.

Standing by Mr. Gonzales’ side, President George W. Bush praised his former Attorney General, singling out his “courage” for ramping up his domestic spying program on his own family.

“If every head of every household was as willing to eavesdrop on his own family as my man Alberto is, we wouldn’t need a Homeland Security Department,” Mr. Bush chuckled.

Mr. Gonzales was noncommittal when a reporter asked him a question about the role that waterboarding and other forms of torture might play in his interrogation of family members.

“Nothing is off the table,” he said.

Asked about his tenure as Attorney General, Mr. Gonzales was candid about his stormy time in office: “Frankly, I can’t believe it took this long for them to shitcan me.”