View Single Post
Old 05-26-2017, 07:00 PM   #50
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
From the Mirror

I'm glad to hear some mosques are trying to discredit isis.
I think most probably do try to discredit IS and speak against extremism. I think there are a few hotbeds of activity - Finsbury Park mosque was one the most infamous for a while, but they seem to have gone to a lot of effort to reform since Abu Hamza went.

I daresay a majority of imams would really like these fuckers to stop polluting their faith with their dangerous notions.

It doesn't take a huge number of extremists, and it doesn't take a huge number of sympathetic mosques or community leaders to cause a lot of problems, about which the peaceful majority are unable to do very much.

Back when I was a councillor, I had to engage with various community leaders,and there didn't seem to me to be a massive difference between the attitudes and concerns of local imams and the attitudes and concerns of local vicars. The guys who ran the muslim community centre youth group were just as determined as the Church of England youth club organiser was to get young lads off the street and onto the five-a-side football pitch.

There were some cultural differences, no doubt, particularly in some parts of the muslim community, where the percentage of people who were born and raised in Pakistan or Kashmir was much higher than in other parts of the community, but in general they just seemed to want the same basic shit everyone else wanted.

Last edited by DanaC; 05-26-2017 at 07:10 PM.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote