View Single Post
Old 01-05-2011, 05:37 PM   #89
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Hmmmm.... I guess we just have different experiences in life. Because I find it to be pretty accurate. Guys keep things separate. Women do not. IMHO. I have heard it over and over all my life. My wife was in a predominately male dominated job the first 10 years we were married, I am in a predominately female dominated job and specialize in womens health. I find it to be pretty accurate and so did my wife. Men and women deal with conflict very differently. Men compartmentalize emotions more often. But as I said from the outset, we may have just had different life experiences. It does not make either one of us wrong.

Sorry. I just get pissed off by some of the scienctific studies that get trotted out around this stuff, that basically try to suggest these differences are all innate. They're not. They're a product of environment. Which means that they are not universal.

It strikes me also, that if you are in a predominately female profession, then it is a profession that will naturally lend itself to a particular skill set which we nost normally class as feminine: consequently more traditionally feminine women are likely to be in that area of work. By the same token, if an occupation is predominately male, then it is likely to make use of, and therefore attract a traditionally masculine skillset and therefore will be full of traditionally masculine men.

Steroetypes often do apply, that's how they become stereotypes. But they are exaggerated to the point where they become a lie. Large numbers of women and large numbers of men would find themselves somewhat excluded from those jokes if they were told to a truly representative segment of gender character types.

I just get a little pissed off. I get this shit fed back to me by people who genuinely believe that women are less capable of reason than men, because they are more emotional creatures.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote