The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 12-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #76
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Alright, the peer pressure has gotten to me. I did 30 seconds tonight, before I went back and checked the chart and saw I was actually supposed to start with 20. We'll see if I can remember tomorrow...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 10:31 PM   #77
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

eeek! after one rest day, i forgot to do my plank. Gonna do it now before heading to bed.

Note here so I won't forget where I am: Day 20 - 2.5 minutes
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:26 AM   #78
glatt

I attempted 4:30 this morning, but only got 3:30. I was tired and had no energy.

I'll give it a shot this evening before dinner.

One way or another, tomorrow is my last day of the challenge. I'll probably wind up continuing to do 3:00 or so a day after this. Don't want to slide backward. Or maybe I'll mix it up and try holding a pushup pose to work my pecs too.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2013, 07:34 AM   #79
monster
I hear them call the tide

I skimmed and mis-read "holding a push-up pose at work".
Old 12-04-2013, 07:41 AM   #80
glatt

On top of my desk!
Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #81
glatt

Tried again. 2:30.

I think I've mentally checked out of this challenge.

Tomorrow I shoot for 5:00. Wish me luck.
Old 12-04-2013, 05:25 PM   #82
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Good luck, Glatt! Maybe your muscles need to recuperate to strengthen. You could roll back a few days to work up to 5 minutes.

This morning I've only managed to plank for 1.5 minutes rather than 2.5 mins. It could be that I just did the ab workout that stressed out my arms and shoulders (plank style exercises). I'll try again tonight. If I still can't make it, I'll roll back to day 14 to build up my strength again.
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 07:23 AM   #83
glatt

My plank challenge is OVER!

I didn't reach 5 minutes today. I just haven't been motivated the last two days. I got 3:30. I could have gone longer, but just gave up because I didn't see the point. I knew I couldn't reach 5:00 without a herculean effort.

Still, I'm happy with how I did during the challenge. My longest was 4:10. And starting tomorrow, I'm going to plank every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 6am when my wife gets up to go for a morning jog with the neighbor. I'm going to start by doing some push ups and then rest on my elbows in a plank that I'll hold for 2:00. That's the plan anyway. I may modify it if it feels too easy. I suck at pushups, so I'll try working my way up to doing a bunch.

I've gotten too weak over the years. I don't care about body building and looks, but I want to have some strength. Especially core strength.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:42 AM   #84
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I went ahead and bumped up to 45 seconds last night, because I didn't want to arbitrarily stick to the schedule when I knew I could do more. 45 was surprisingly harder than 30, although maybe that's only because I was still subtly recovering from the first night. I have to say, though, I greatly prefer the planking position to sit ups, which have always hurt my back and neck. (Probably because I'm doing them with poor form, but regardless, I like "holding" exercises better than "doing" exercises.)

My kids saw me and wanted to try it--they did two rounds, Minifobette for 15 seconds each time, and Minifob for 20. I was pretty impressed.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 09:05 AM   #85
monster
I hear them call the tide

Glatt, new user title: What A Plank
Old 01-01-2014, 08:40 AM   #86
glatt

I don't plank any more, but I've been doing crunches until I can't do any more (40-50), push ups (about 20), squats (about 15), and I've been doing really slow curls (15 or 20) of 15lbs.

I'm not trying to hit any particular number, just doing some basic strength exercises in a few minute's worth of time.

Then I stretch, which feels wonderful.

During my lunch break at work, I'm walking a brisk walk through residential neighborhoods near my building. Anywhere from 2.5 miles to 4 miles. Depending on how much time I have. The cold weather is great because I don't break a sweat. Not sure what I'll do come summer.

That's my routine these days.
Old 01-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #87
Griff
still says videotape

Bravo!