The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 10-31-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I think this guy's a class act

Quote:
Georgia megapastor Jim Swilley has come out as a gay man to help turn the tide against the recent spate of tragic gay teen “bullycides.” What a wonderful and incredible thing for this man to do

Swilley, who created the Church In The Now some 25 years ago, is a divorced father of four. But he’s known he’s gay since he was a boy, says the Rockdale County man of the cloth, and even his wife Debye — whom he divorced earlier this year — knew when they got married (!). The couple kept it a secret for more than two decades, but Jim says Debye recently pushed him to share his story.

The pastor made the announcement to his congregation two weeks ago (yes, it takes time for some stories to trickle), with his family in the audience and decided to come out now after witnessing the rash of gay youths killing themselves. One Internet forum poster says that unlike Atlanta’s Long (whom Swilley won’t speak about), Swilley has not used the pulpit to denigrate gays: “For those of you familiar with Church In the Now, while never discussing his own sexuality, you know that Swilley has always preached a message of inclusion, love and abundance for all God’s children. Bishop Swilley has been asked to step down as Bishop, but will remain as Pastor.” (That last part we haven’t confirmed.)

If there’s a mass exodus from his church, Swilley says he wouldn’t be able to survive it, but would certainly pick up and start again. “God has always spoken through me,” he tells his followers, saying the calling has been with him since birth. His parents tell him stories of him preaching as a toddler in diapers; he doesn’t remember that time
He's risking a cushy job, in fact his career, personal reputation, and possibly ruining the rest of his life, by trying to make a difference.
I think that's a class act.

link
Old 10-31-2010, 05:53 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I think you're right.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:46 PM   #3
monster
I hear them call the tide

I don't think he's taking much of a risk. But it's still a good thing.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:12 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not much risk if he doesn't mind looking for a new job, and a new life. He didn't have to do this, he wasn't being blackmailed, or threatened with exposure, he was set in a cushy job that probably paid well. He did it hoping to help people he didn't even know, and deserves credit for that.