The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: Clean towels.....
After Every Use 3 16.67%
Every Day 0 0%
Every Few Days 5 27.78%
Every Week 5 27.78%
Every Month 2 11.11%
Every Month and After Each Use -same thing 0 0%
Occasionally 3 16.67%
Never 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-30-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

Bath Towels

How often do you wash 'em? Pick the nearest answer, couldn't be arsed to put a whole shitload of options. I have a friend who can't keep up with her laundry. Discovered she has a bajillion huge bathsheets and they go in the laundry after every single use. Most of the family work out, so that's at least two towels a day each. There's not a lot grimmer than smelly towels after a nice shower, but every use?

Also, what type of towels do you like? Huge fluffy ones or efficient quick-drying ones? Colors to match the bathroom or white that you can bleach?

Feel free to flannel....
Old 09-30-2012, 07:47 PM   #2
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Hear about the snake charmer who married an undertaker? I gave them towels marked Hiss and Hearse.

Thanks folks, here all week, try the veal.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:48 PM   #3
monster

I miscounted and didn't have room for the "I'm Special, I dry by magic/au naturel and have no use for these things you call towels" option.
Old 09-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Thanks folks, here all week, try the veal.
it's a little spongey
Old 09-30-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
glatt

I like a fast drying thin towel. They have less of a chance to start smelling because they aren't damp for long. We have some fluffy ones that have picked up smells. They smell fresh when washed but get wet and start to stink. They look good and match the decor, but I use the ugly thin ones that clash.

If it starts to smell or gets a little stiff, I throw it in the hamper. Maybe every two weeks. But with the fluffy ones, it's only a few days, because they stink.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 08:09 PM   #6
monster

Yeah with good ventilation, theoretically you shouldn't ever need to wash them, right? After all, it's just water, you're clean when you get out of the shower/bath....

Ours are big and somewhat fluffy and hang on hooks so they get washed every few days. We need a good towel rail, but the bathroom barely has room to fart in.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:42 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Yeah with good ventilation, theoretically you shouldn't ever need to wash them, right? After all, it's just water, you're clean when you get out of the shower/bath....
That's only true if you scrub every square inch with a brush or one of those pot scrubber looking things, otherwise the towel is rubbing off dead skin and stuff.

I use the smell test to decide.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 AM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

I also use the smell test and toss it in the dirty clothes chute if it's smelly. Fortunately, the fresh towels are in the same closet, so I don't have to stand there dripping in the hall for long.

I have a motley crew of towels. The last towel I bought was a beach-y towel I got on a camping trip because the weather at our destination (where I got the towel) was very hot, hot enough to make a dip in the lake inviting. Before that, another camping trip the year before. None of them really match in color, texture, or teh fluffeh-ness. As far as preference goes, I like the thinner ones for efficiency. I hang them on the rack or on the shower curtain rod to dry.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #9
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
That's only true if you scrub every square inch with a brush or one of those pot scrubber looking things, otherwise the towel is rubbing off dead skin and stuff.
hence the use of the word theoretically and the ellipses...
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #10
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

I notice that little attention is paid to drying the towel.

Sure, wash your towels. Well. I have white towels so I bleach then a bit. But then I hang them on a clothesline. Something about hanging in the sun for a few hours sterilises them and makes them smell really good. Saves on electricity too. I line-dry certain large items like blankets an thick items like towels on the line.

Also, hang up your towels without folding them so they dry after each use. Folding it to look nice on the rod or whatever or, worse yet, throwing it in a lump on the floor will cause odors and mildew quickly.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

We live in a very, very dry climate so everything dries quickly. We use big plush towels and wash them once every 2-3 weeks. They have never smelled (unless they were used to dry the dog).
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #12
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Weekly, unless smelly sooner. Large terry bath sheets. Monster's right, it's clean water you're wiping off.
Old 10-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
monster

line-dried towels are teh crispy. plus bad for people with pollen/dust allergies.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:08 PM   #14
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Ya'll are some nasty folks!
Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Living alone I get to make my own rules about towels. momwolf was originally a wash after every use, and then morphed into once a week. After all, the bath towels only ever get rubbed against a clean body. Handtowels and washcloths go more often.

I, on the other hand, don't typically use a bath towel. I have a big fluffy bathrobe that I put on after I shower, and the towel is really for show, and emergencies. The bathrobe gets washed every other week.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote