The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-18-2003, 11:42 AM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

6/18/2003: Overdressed middle-schoolers couldn't graduate

Eighth grade: it's the stupidest time of life, and sometimes administered by the stupidest of adults.

The kids above were dressed like that to attend their middle-school graduation. Their principal, one Wendy Jung, had other ideas, and prohibited the boy on the right and the girl on the left from walking up and receiving their diplomas because they were overdressed.

The girls in the middle were allowed, showing how arbitrary this woman's decision was. But it gets worse: she told the boy he "looked like a pimp".

The boy, who made the honor roll, was allowed to walk up after removing the jacket.

I'm told that the public schools are awash with people who want nothing more than to promote multi-culturalism and understanding between races and etc. Apparently some jagoff administrators haven't been copied on the memos.

If nothing else, she's singled out the kids and parents who actually care. My question is: if this is what happened at graduation, when people were paying attention, what kind of idiocy went on during the previous three years while nobody was noticing?

The last time I saw a jacket like that, it was on the back of Eagles' running back / multi-millionaire Duce Staley as he left a post-game press conference. He looked great. So does this kid.

full story
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:29 PM   #2
Obsidious
Person Who Has Posted

Pimp?!

Oh, come on. This is a pimp.
The kid just looked good. There's nothing wrong with blue.
Obsidious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 12:45 PM   #3
e unibus plurum
garbage in, refuse out

what? no hat!
e unibus plurum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:09 PM   #4
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

I'm too lazy to read the article...

So if her reason for denying him was because he looked like a pimp, then what was her reason for denying the Girl? and did she get to walk eventualy? And if he looks like a pimp then what does she look like a Hoe? or a princess (too efeminent?)?

I actually ended up reading it. it was short but still never explained what was too dressy about what they were wearing?

Last edited by Bitmap; 06-18-2003 at 01:13 PM.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
goethean
ethics evolve.

I wonder if the administrator is white or black.
goethean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:21 PM   #6
Bitmap
Look who thinks he's clever Dan.

Probably White ... Us whiteies are anal retentive like that.
Bitmap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 01:27 PM   #7
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Ms Jung should be taken to the Simon Gratz HS prom here :p
Old 06-18-2003, 01:38 PM   #8
Degrees
Resident Denizen

My take on Ms. Jung's personality

Some people just are not happy unless they are making other people feel bad. Unfortunately, those personalities gravitate toward management roles.

I think the kids look sharp. Dressing up for an occaision is a good thing, and they did it well.
Degrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:02 PM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

With all the crap to truely concern herself with, this stupid TN administrator chooses this nonissue? How completely disrespectful. She needs to concentrate on the kids that aren't at the ceremony.

Meanwhile...congrats students. Keep honor rolling, and looking good- however you wish to define that!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:15 PM   #10
warch
lurkin old school

Just because she bugs me:

here is Wendy Jung.

New principal, apparently part of the story was that she had put a ban on fancy dress to help take the "financial burden" off parents...blah blah. It kinda even adds to the insult.

Last edited by warch; 06-18-2003 at 04:48 PM.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:31 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I sent her a link to this page and an invitation.
Old 06-18-2003, 02:37 PM   #12
smed
Sir Smed to you.

this one's bound to haunt her.....

I can't understand this at all.
First of all.....the girls, for sure, are not overdressed. They wore their "Sunday Best" most likely....and even though I never had an 8th grade graduation, it's something to be proud of, and certainly worthy of their finest outfits.
The boy on the other hand looks "damn-sharp" and probably very proud of that suit....he should be. He looks good. That lady is an absolute ogre for not allowing that kid to parade around in his suit.
I hope the parents follow through and get at least an apology from Ms. Wendy Jung. Personally, I think she should be fired.
How can you take a proud moment like graduating the 8th grade, and ruin it for those kids by not allow them to strut their stuff?
It has nothing to do with any 'financial burden', even if these kids were poor, they could have skrimped and saved for those outfits and probably felt extremely proud wearing them.

The more I think about this the angrier I get.....she's single-handedly yanked these kids pride right out from under them.

smed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:27 PM   #13
Beletseri
Yeah sez you

Now wait a minute

Quote:
New principal, apparently part of the story was that she had put a ban on fancy dress to help take the "financial burden" off parents
If that is true and she told them all ahead of time maybe what she did has some merit.

There is a lot of competition among these kids for who can look the sharpest or have the hottest item of clothes or whatever. There are whole schools who make kids wear uniforms because of that kind of competition. Heck, for awhile kids were killing each other over tennis shoes so maybe there is some merit to setting a limit on what level of "dressy" the kids can be.
Beletseri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 03:35 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Beletseri

If that is true and she told them all ahead of time maybe what she did has some merit.

Then she should have said white shirt and tie but no jacket for the boys and something similar for the girls, in advance. Maybe she'll accept my invite to post here.
Old 06-18-2003, 03:45 PM   #15
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well I hope she does; this is the net, where one can actually talk back to stories. And this is the Cellar, where you can do so as an equal to everyone else.

And if there's more to it, I hope she sues the local rag that published the story without the requirements tidbit, because it's sorry journalism if they didn't pick up her side of the story.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote